PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Viber data calling on Android or iPhone?

PhillyPhil
September 12th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Quite excited about this! Installed Viber the other day, it's basically a Skype clone but optimised for phones.

You don't register, you just install on your device, you don't have a username, it just uses your phone number!
It means you pretty much get free (uses data) calls integrated onto your phone without effort.

It might be too early for Viber to be the one, but pretty soon an app like this is going to go mainstream (by that I mean major businesses will start using it too) and that will be the end of telco "calls" and "messages".

Everything will just be data - can't wait! I'm tempted to go data only on my mobile now, and try to divert a voip home phone to it for contact with non-viber users...

Anyone else using it? How do you find the call quality? (good for me)
Any delays with message delivery? (I haven't had any yet, but am a little worried it could happen)

3rdalbum
September 12th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Sounds like a good project, but mobile broadband is so flaky in many parts of the world, including all over the city I live in :-( If I used Skype or Viber for my calls, they'd be dropping out all the time.

It would be alright if you were within a wifi zone, or running on your computer over ADSL.

Viber
September 21st, 2011, 02:44 PM
Hi,

This is a member of the Viber Development Team!
We are very happy to see that so many people worldwide take interest in our application.

@3rdalbum - 3G networks can sometimes be disrupted and consequently affect the quality of VoIP calls. We are working on adding a feature that will adapt to disruptions in order to ensure stable calls on 3G networks.

If anyone has any questions/suggestions for Viber, please feel free to write, and we will address them shortly.
Thanks,
Viber.

stevo__h
November 27th, 2011, 02:48 PM
need viber for linux ie. UBUNTU OR KUBUNTU (same Thing lol)

markp1989
November 27th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I tried Viber on my android phone(SGS2), called my sisters iPhone 3g we were both on wifi, there was quite a delay in me talking an her hearing.

I may give it a test on 3g just to make sure that it wasn't anything to do with my firewall.

I don't do voice calls enough to worry I get 300minutes a month from my provider and I don't normally use more than 20 of them, for text messages I use WhatsApp

3rdalbum
November 28th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I'm sorry but I'm not a good candidate for Viber. I get unlimited national calls and SMS, and the only person we talk to internationally has Skype anyhow and they don't have a smartphone. Still I'm glad things like this exist.

IWantFroyo
November 28th, 2011, 03:13 AM
I wonder how long it will be before big carriers start doing something about this.

I remember that AT&T expressed concern that Apple's iMessage (or something) would cause people to stop buying SMS plans.

Now, pretty much all major mobile OSes can do this. And apps are coming out that can keep people from getting costly plans, too.

I think the entire carrier business might be dying. With free wifi spreading, it's really just a matter of time.

ugm6hr
November 28th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Viber (and similar apps) are an excellent idea. But I have to say, that it doesn't work all that well. Skype still has better voice quality (on wifi). In fact, a standard sip number also works better on my Android phone.
This may be because the Viber Android app is still quite new - perhaps it will improve over the coming months?

Paqman
November 28th, 2011, 10:56 AM
The way the networks are clamping down on data use here in the UK it's becoming a much more precious commodity than phone minutes are, so I can't really see the advantage of VOIP on a smartphone. If you had unlimited data, paid for your minutes and could bank on good data coverage it'd be great, but I can't imagine many people are in that boat.

Viber
December 5th, 2011, 03:36 PM
@ugm6hr - We are constantly tweaking our new voice engine to deliver the best call quality.

What device do you have? and which Viber version?

ugm6hr
December 5th, 2011, 10:17 PM
@Viber
I am on a Samsung Galaxy Ace; I was using the latest Viber in Nov, which I presume was 2.1.2.116554. It proved to be unusable for voice, so I uninstalled it.
I have tried it for calling between me and another user on a Motorola Atrix.
Happy to try it again, if things improve.

zer010
December 6th, 2011, 01:55 AM
If it works like I think it might, programs like Viber, WirelessVOIP, can come in handy for those without service.
Before I even activated my phone, I was able to surf the net via my WiFi.

Viber
December 6th, 2011, 07:15 PM
The reason of the problem may have been the fact that one of the sides of the Viber call was an Atrix. Motorola Atrix is not officially supported by Viber - here is the full list of fully supported devices:http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/100/0/cant-download-from-android-market

A Viber call between 2 fully-supported devices should be a clear HD call, assuming both sides have a high-speed internet connection (the standard home WiFi network should do).

Have you tried this?

Falc7
December 7th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Viber is great, i use it a lot every day