PDA

View Full Version : A+ cert questions??

letitworknow
September 12th, 2011, 02:05 AM
hey,
i am making this post to get some general knowledge of the A+ tests and maybe some pointers. I am taking the tests in a week and i feel like i know the material well. does anyone have any comments on what i should focus my studies on? also i was wondering what this certification brings to the table as far as a job. do employers look for it on a resume or is it expected that someone in the IT field has their A+ certifications?

Any help would be great thanks

Dangertux
September 12th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Depends on the field. Helpdesk, hardware technician, desktop support. It can be helpful. Some places won't even care or look at it. It really depends on the employer and the job's primaries duties.

As far as pointers to answer your other question, when I took the test I ended up with nothing but printer questions it felt like. So my advice would be understand how laser printers work lol.

Bandit
September 12th, 2011, 02:45 AM
hey,
i am making this post to get some general knowledge of the A+ tests and maybe some pointers. I am taking the tests in a week and i feel like i know the material well. does anyone have any comments on what i should focus my studies on? also i was wondering what this certification brings to the table as far as a job. do employers look for it on a resume or is it expected that someone in the IT field has their A+ certifications?

Any help would be great thanks

First off, if your taking it next week and just starting to study your prob gonna fail and just waist your money.

The test these days is ruffly 40% hardware, 30% windows, 10% networking, 10% security and 10% other general knowledge.

I took and past mine a few months back (2 part test), but I been using computers before over half the users of this forums parents were even driving. There was some people retaking the 2nd part for the 2nd time while I was taking mine and they still failed it.

I suggest you spend at least 1 full month with your head in a A+ study book. I recommend the Cybex ones.

Bandit
September 12th, 2011, 02:46 AM
oops

Dangertux
September 12th, 2011, 03:42 AM
You could also check this out.

http://www.proprofs.com/certification/comptia/a-plus/exams/index.shtml

don't get psyched out seriously the test has like a 72% pass rate or something ridiculous like that. It's really not all that hard.

cptrohn
September 12th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I took it a couple of months ago and got an 800... I got alot of questions regarding network mapping... there were quite a few windows specific questions as well... (while comptia is Vendor Neutral, they are not vendor ignorant) I used the Total seminars A+ book by Mike Meyers for the test.

Study hard though, they do cover alot of information and if it's in the objectives it's fair game.

cptrohn
September 12th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Oh and I wouldn't recommend taking both tests on the same day if you don't have to...

Bandit
September 14th, 2011, 03:56 AM
You could also check this out.

http://www.proprofs.com/certification/comptia/a-plus/exams/index.shtml

don't get psyched out seriously the test has like a 72% pass rate or something ridiculous like that. It's really not all that hard.

Two test, first one is the easier of the two.
First one on a scale of 100-900 you got to get 675 (%84.375 to pass) Which unless your just dumb you will pass. I got like a 800 something on this one.
The second one actually is a worthy test. Its also on scale of 100-900 points. You must get a 700 to pass (%87.5). I got like a 760 on this part. I think what got me was it asked where the Device Manager was in XP, then server 2003 and then in Vista.. /sigh why we gota keep moving it.. LOL Well anyway I think those 3 questions got me little twisted while taking it lowering my score a tad.

But the thing about taking the test is that each test is 100 questions, they are not numbered so you dont know which one your on and you only get 90 mins. The key here is to take the practice exams that come on the CDs in most of the study books so you get used to taking the practice exams in under 90mins. Which isnt hard, but not knowing the pace your at could make you nervous taking the real exam and could cause you to miss questions you would normally know off hand.

Hope this helps.

Bandit
September 14th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Oh and I wouldn't recommend taking both tests on the same day if you don't have to...

I wouldn't for most folks either..

Dangertux
September 14th, 2011, 04:38 AM
I was referring to the overall pass rate of people who sit the cert exam (IE: how many people earn the cert)

Either way good luck to the test taker. Let us know how it works out.

EDIT : For device manager if it weren't multiple choice I would say write in mmc. (this is a joke you can't do this so don't stake your grade on it :-P)

haqking
September 14th, 2011, 01:11 PM
EDIT : For device manager if it weren't multiple choice I would say write in mmc. (this is a joke you can't do this so don't stake your grade on it :-P)

+1

devmgmt.msc

from run or command prompt, they may change the interface like its a shopping aisle so no one can find anything but the filename usually remains the same thank god.

I hate multiple choice and especially CompTIA ones (vendor neutral as long as it is Microsoft...LOL j/k

letitworknow
September 15th, 2011, 02:24 AM
thanks everyone, i have been studying for about 6 months now. i had some what of a break in there for school, however my classes where computer security and windows 7 so they kind of mesh with the A+. i have read the mike myers book twice! studied it and have taken the practice tests. Also i am watching the prof messer videos for some additional visual learning. 4 days left

Dangertux
September 15th, 2011, 05:06 AM
IMHO take a break for like 2 days prior to the test let your brain rest. General test taking tip I use it helps me YMMV