PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] indicator applet displaying wrong time zone

blisterpeanuts
September 11th, 2011, 11:59 PM
I installed Ubuntu 10.04 Natty Narwhal and set local time zone to Arizona/MST. All was fine.

Moved computer to Boston and tried to set it to EST. No matter what I do, indicator applet continues to display Arizona/MST (3 hours behind). I click on the time/date, it shows New York is the selected region, and the correct time next to it. I go into Time & Date Settings, unlock it, make sure time zone is EST and correct time is set.

I have tried resetting the system's time zone:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure --frontend noninteractive tzdata

# cat /etc/timezone
America/New_York

# export TZ='America/New_York'
reboot
# printenv TZ
America/New_York

# date
Sun Sep 11 18:39:16 EDT 2011

Yet, the stupid indicator applet continues to display
Sun Sep 11 3:39:16 PM

Is this a bug in the applet? I came across one or two bug reports that might explain this behavior. Maybe it's been fixed in 10.10? I'm a little afraid to upgrade, because I found 10.10 to be a mixed bag on my laptop, very different user interface that took a lot of work to put back the way I like it.

I have googled all over the place and have found no solutions :(

Thanks for any assistance

-Bp

blisterpeanuts
September 12th, 2011, 09:05 PM
More interesting behavior:

running xclock directly from windowing system (alt-F2 xclock) displays the wrong time.

running xclock from a console displays the correct time.

It's as though the parent process (Gnome? X?) of the run command is passing along some kind of incorrect environment information, whereas a shell command doesn't.

741Baus
September 12th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Hi blisterpeanuts I don't know if this will help your situation its for resetting clock to local time when dual booting with windows and the time has been reset in the windows partition

sudo hwclock --localtime

perhaps this with work ?

blisterpeanuts
September 12th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. That doesn't seem to do anything. Actually, hwclock gives me the correct time, so I think the system clock is OK.

I've killed the indicator applet and I'm just running an oclock in the corner of the screen. At least I don't have to look at the wrong time. The heck with it!