PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] windows 7 issues

stephenbbb
September 11th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I installed the latest ubuntu on a new acer 5250 laptop with windows 7.

it worked fine, but now it's frozen cannot start it. it won't start it even from the USB I used to install it. both hard disc and run from usb freeze.

windows 7 keeps downloading updates pretty much like vista all the time and I am not sure what else it does.

please, advise if there is a solution to this issue.

Mark Phelps
September 11th, 2011, 08:06 PM
When you say "it's fropzen", is that your whole PC? Or is that just Ubuntu?

If it's just Ubuntu, how far does it get into the boot process before freezing?

As for Win7 downloading updates, you should have it set to only NOTIFY you of updates, NOT to automatically download and install them. That way, you can pick a time to install them when you're not busy on the PC.

stephenbbb
September 12th, 2011, 01:05 AM
only ubuntu was freezing after the password login screen. i think win 7 was writing sth where it was messing up stuff. after doing the updates in win and doing shut down (installs updates) I got ubuntu running as it used to.

just a scare. I have my photoes in Ubuntu as it can see both ubuntu and win folders and had deleted everything from the camera.

So: a note for dual system users!!! Win kernel updates will cause Ubuntu to freeze until fully installed!!!

When you say "it's fropzen", is that your whole PC? Or is that just Ubuntu?

If it's just Ubuntu, how far does it get into the boot process before freezing?

As for Win7 downloading updates, you should have it set to only NOTIFY you of updates, NOT to automatically download and install them. That way, you can pick a time to install them when you're not busy on the PC.