PDA

View Full Version : Unity and Gnome Shell compared

mikeym
September 11th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Hi,

I've just made a little youtube video (http://youtu.be/cH1WHCEJ9Q8) discussing Unity and Gnome 3 shells from a design perspective. Thought it might be timely with the upcoming release of 11.10.

cbowman57
September 11th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Well done.

cecilpierce
September 11th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks, that was very nice and informative, wish my computer was that fast :P

sffvba[e0rt
September 11th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I found this video to be one of the best non-partisan comparisons between Gnome-shell and Unity. I (still) have some reservation if this thread shouldn't be a "recurring" theme and I hope the responses to it doesn't push it that way.

@OP, very well done one very good comparison.

NightwishFan
September 11th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I concur. It was a very good watch. I am glad to see some positive reviews of the Gnome 3 Shell (not that I dislike Unity).

mikeym
September 11th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I concur. It was a very good watch. I am glad to see some positive reviews of the Gnome 3 Shell (not that I dislike Unity).

No, I don't dislike either of them either. I posted this just to say my piece about them, I think they can each learn something from each-other.

(edit) PS. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Docaltmed
September 11th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Wow! Thank you very much, I've been looking for something like this. Well done!

aeronutt
September 11th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Yep, nice job.

Merk42
September 11th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I was going to mention the few parts that are different in Oneiric, but then you mentioned that there would be changes at the end of the video.

I'd like to see another about GNOME Shell (3.2?) and Unity in Oneiric one it is released.

mikeym
September 11th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I'd like to see another about GNOME Shell (3.2?) and Unity in Oneiric one it is released.

Well, maybe. I've actually worked out how to use the video editor now.

pelle.k
September 11th, 2011, 07:50 PM
One thing you could point out, is the difference in window management between mutter and compiz. E.g. cascading windows only (mutter/gnome-shell) vs smart/centered/cascading (smart by default) etc windows (compiz/unity).

Duncan J Murray
September 11th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Excellent comparison.

I've been using GS and gnome2, with a bit of dabbling in unity. For my workflow with different workspaces, I find G2 to be nicest, but I'll have to give unity a fair go.

rudihawk
September 11th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Great video :)

Posted to google+ so hopefully more people can see it!

speedwell68
September 11th, 2011, 11:23 PM
That was really good. Highlighted some features in Unity that I was not aware of. I waited a few months before I tried Unity and I am impressed in the most part, it took a while to adjust. I have had a small dabble with GNOME 3. I can see great potential in both interfaces.

dpny
September 12th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Very nicely done.

sammiev
September 12th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Great job and thanks. :)

Linuxratty
September 12th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Great video :)

Agreed..Posted it to Linux Internationals for the same reason.
Could you do more different DE comparisons?

Paddy Landau
September 12th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I've just made a little youtube video (http://youtu.be/cH1WHCEJ9Q8) discussing Unity and Gnome 3 shells from a design perspective.
That was an excellent overview, nicely dispassionate. Thank you for your efforts. If you make new comparisons for 11.10 and others, please post them here.

Watching your video, it seems to me that both Unity and Gnome 3 have both excellent and awful features, but that Gnome 3 has the greater promise. Only time will tell, though.

Perfect Storm
September 12th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Absolutely refreshing!

Well done.

leviathan8
September 12th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks a lot for the comparison! Your video inspired me to install a distribution with GNOME 3, namely Fedora 15, because the good old lucid started freezing up like crazy on my laptop.

koleoptero
September 12th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Excellent video, thanks for sharing.

Erik1984
September 12th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Nice, fair, comparison. Especially useful for people like me who never worked with Gnome Shell.

mips
September 12th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Very nice video!

Now I have a headache :D

mikeym
September 12th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Wow. I hadn't expected such a positive reception. Thanks again.

One thing you could point out, is the difference in window management between mutter and compiz. E.g. cascading windows only (mutter/gnome-shell) vs smart/centered/cascading (smart by default) etc windows (compiz/unity).

This is interesting, something I hadn't considered.

(edit)

Your video inspired me to install a distribution with GNOME 3, namely Fedora 15, because the good old lucid started freezing up like crazy on my laptop.

I'm running fedora on a laptop and I've got it installed for testing on my desktop, it's a good distribution, but I don't think the package manager is as robust as APT so I will be sticking with Ubuntu.

Duncan J Murray
September 12th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I'm running fedora on a laptop and I've got it installed for testing on my desktop, it's a good distribution, but I don't think the package manager is as robust as APT so I will be sticking with Ubuntu.

Agreed, running 10.04 and F15, but i find yum doesn't seem as solid as apt. I think I will stick to 10.04 as long as possible as my main laptop doesn't have the graphics capability to run GS or unity. Also, I don't think unity or gshell are geared up so much for multiple desktops - to drag a file in gshell from nautilus to, say, gimp on another workspace requires dragging to activities, then dragging to the right side workspace, then dragging to the centre and waiting until that gains focus. Only then can you release. It's quicker to use the file browser in gimp!

D

mendhak
September 12th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Wow. I hadn't expected such a positive reception. Thanks again.

This is interesting, something I hadn't considered.

(edit)

Very good presentation skills, you spoke clearly and (as others have pointed out) in an unbiased manner.