PDA

View Full Version : Website!

jakejw93
September 10th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Recently got my own website/blog, so was wanting some feedback guys!

http://jakeward.co.uk/

Would be great to get some help on how to make it be better/look better etc....

Also if you like it if anyone would be kind enough to +1 it, would be amazing!

Thanks in advance!

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 10th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Just a word of caution. Be very careful posting on your blog about the company you work for. It could get you fired. Some companies have strict policies regarding such practices.

jakejw93
September 10th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Just a word of caution. Be very careful posting on your blog about the company you work for. It could get you fired. Some companies have strict policies regarding such practices.

I am very wary of this, one of the reasons I wouldn't be silly enough to post anything bad about them!

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 10th, 2011, 10:33 PM
I am very wary of this, one of the reasons I wouldn't be silly enough to post anything bad about them!

You don't have to say anything bad about the company.

You have already posted the Company's trade marked Logo on your blog. Did you get the Company's permission to use their trade marked Logo?

Company's are very protective of their Brand Name. Since you posted a link to your blog on the Ubuntu forums, that is indexed by Google and other search engines, it can be found through a Google search.

The company could consider anything you post on your blog where their trade marked logo is displayed as misrepresenting the company.

You can post about your job; however, I would recommend that you do not use the company's name or logo.

Lucradia
September 10th, 2011, 10:36 PM
And since subway publishes its trademark (So does Pizza Hut, McDonalds, etc.) around other countries, it also applies to UK.

jakejw93
September 10th, 2011, 10:44 PM
So you're advising me to replace that picture? Easily done so I'm not that bothered :)

jakejw93
September 10th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Picture removed :D

snip3r8
September 10th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Yay,now you wont be sued

jakejw93
September 10th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Yay,now you wont be sued

Pahaha ;)

_d_
September 10th, 2011, 11:00 PM
You don't have to say anything bad about the company.

You have already posted the Company's trade marked Logo on your blog. Did you get the Company's permission to use their trade marked Logo?

Company's are very protective of their Brand Name. Since you posted a link to your blog on the Ubuntu forums, that is indexed by Google and other search engines, it can be found through a Google search.

The company could consider anything you post on your blog where their trade marked logo is displayed as misrepresenting the company.

You can post about your job; however, I would recommend that you do not use the company's name or logo.

This statement is awfully flawed to the extreme. The OP did not make any claims against the said used logo, nor did he make any claims to the name.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of copies of the Subway logo on Google Image Search.

Do I need to contact Canonical and ask them permission to use the Ubuntu logo as an avatar here? No I don't, because I am neither claiming it as either copyrighted or trademarked to me.

If I write a blog post about Firefox, do I need to ask Mozilla Foundation for permission to use the logo? No I don't.

I've seen so many wallpapers made for like Microsoft Windows, using both trademarked names AND logos, and you don't see Microsoft going after those people.

Companies really don't mind you using their logo on your blog (for example) just as long as you follow the proper legalities of not making copyright or trademark claims on their work. And if for some obscure reason they do have a problem, they will most likely just ask you to remove it instead of wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars on court fees.

Mmmbopdowedop
September 10th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Looked better with the logo, add it back, nobody's going to sue/sack you.

I'd ignore the majority of internet comments, bar the post above, he/she makes sense.

People need to worry less.

"_d_" actually made a really good post, shame it's gone.

snip3r8
September 10th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Well companies do seem to want to sue everyone these days

jakejw93
September 10th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Looked better with the logo, add it back, nobody's going to sue/sack you.

I'd ignore the majority of internet comments, bar the post above, he/she makes sense.

People need to worry less.

"_d_" actually made a really good post, shame it's gone.

It did look better but is it worth the risk..?

Mmmbopdowedop
September 10th, 2011, 11:15 PM
It did look better but is it worth the risk..?

I guess that depends on your judgement, it's a nice looking blog though, nice theme you've chose, with more content it'd be great, nice job. :)

jakejw93
September 10th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I guess that depends on your judgement, it's a nice looking blog though, nice theme you've chose, with more content it'd be great, nice job. :)

FINALLY someone who actually responded to what I asked :)

Thanks a lot! :)

_d_
September 10th, 2011, 11:19 PM
I fixed my previous post and added it back. Temporarily removed it as it was full of typos galore. :popcorn:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11238883&postcount=10

jakejw93
September 10th, 2011, 11:28 PM
I fixed my previous post and added it back. Temporarily removed it as it was full of typos galore. :popcorn:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11238883&postcount=10

I never saw your post before, thanks for that :)

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 11th, 2011, 12:14 AM
I was just suggesting that the person should exercise some caution when posting the name and logo of the company they work for. I was trying to provide some feedback on the website design. I am sorry that it degraded. That was NOT my intention. What you post on the Internet may come back to haunt you. I actually hire and fire people.

Farewell, and have nice day.

Blasphemist
September 11th, 2011, 12:26 AM
This is a good start on a nice straightforward blog. Good work! Now spend the time to get some good content on it and then I could +1 it. I can't tell you how many sites I have that never got past this stage. And I don't want to show my approval in Google+ without there being some good content. Then beware, I may ask for a +1 back :D

fatality_uk
September 11th, 2011, 12:46 AM

As the title suggests it was my first day working at my new job today at Subway!

Best rule of thumb, NEVER mention your company unless they have given you permission. Especially not a multi-national. They have plenty of PR trawl bots that look for references.

Dangertux
September 11th, 2011, 04:17 AM
I think it's unlikely that his company would fire or sue him.

http://www.eff.org/issues/bloggers

jakejw93
September 11th, 2011, 08:27 AM
This is a good start on a nice straightforward blog. Good work! Now spend the time to get some good content on it and then I could +1 it. I can't tell you how many sites I have that never got past this stage. And I don't want to show my approval in Google+ without there being some good content. Then beware, I may ask for a +1 back :D

Some nice feedback thanks a lot!

And if you +1 my blog i would certainly +1 anyones back :) (and actually look at their blog)

jakejw93
September 17th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Posted my first Linux related post :)

Blasphemist
September 17th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I +1'd you on the site Jake. Good work! Much improved since I last looked.

jakejw93
September 17th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I +1'd you on the site Jake. Good work! Much improved since I last looked.

Thanks a lot! What is your site so i can have a look and maybe 1+ back? :)

fatality_uk
September 17th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I think it's unlikely that his company would fire or sue him.

http://www.eff.org/issues/bloggers

Unless you had $250,000 to prove your point based on the half assed legelisms of the EFF, then I would suggest steering clear of writing directly of your employers.

fatality_uk
September 17th, 2011, 10:48 PM
p.s. Steam never has been on Linux, and is very, very unlikely to come to Linux. I do like the web site though :)

jakejw93
September 17th, 2011, 10:50 PM
p.s. Steam never has been on Linux, and is very, very unlikely to come to Linux. I do like the web site though :)

Did you actually read what I wrote? Lols....

thanks anyways

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 17th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Unless you had $250,000 to prove your point based on the half assed legelisms of the EFF, then I would suggest steering clear of writing directly of your employers.

I think you understand what I am pointing to; however, I will try to make it clear to others.

The EFF article is about bloggers, not employees. Bloggers talk about the company; however, employees can be perceived to represent the company or its opinions.

Frequently, medium to large companies have policies about employees posting while using the name or logo of the company. These policies are well documented within the organization. The policy governs divulging the relationship between you and your employer while online, and it is often accompanied by a termination statement if you do not comply with the company's policy.

They usually don't bring legal action against you or sue you. They just terminate you for not complying with the company's policy.

My intent was to advise the OP about the design of the website which seemed to include the OP's employer name and logo, and provide constructive criticism. I did not intent to derail this thread.

dmoconnell
September 17th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I know that if you use a companies logo and put in the footer of your blog "the Subway Logo is a registered trademark of XYZ Company, All rights reserved" (or something very similar to that) they usually don't mind.
Thats my 2 cents (actually 1 penny and a stick of gum :) )
Dm

jakejw93
September 18th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Just to tell you guys that I deleted the image like the same hour I created the blog post, if I would of got in trouble or not it doesn't matter since the image is not there :)

forrestcupp
September 19th, 2011, 01:26 AM
This statement is awfully flawed to the extreme. The OP did not make any claims against the said used logo, nor did he make any claims to the name.
Just because people usually don't get busted doesn't mean they can't and don't ever. It's a risk. Sometimes risks pay off, and sometimes you get burned. If you don't want to risk getting burned, don't take the risk.

Old_Gray_Wolf speaks from experience about how companies work. If you post about the company you work for, and they don't like it (even if it's not negative), they won't hesitate to fire your backside. Maybe they won't ever see it; maybe they will. Even if you don't think you're saying anything negative, your company may not want to be associated even in a small way with Linux gaming.

The OP already took care of the situation, but _d_ is giving advice that makes it seem like there's no chance of getting burned, and that's just not true. I used to work with a guy who made a website that talked about the company we worked for, and it didn't turn out to be a good thing.

Blasphemist
September 19th, 2011, 01:42 AM
By the way Jake, your video came up in my G+ linux sparks today.

jakejw93
September 23rd, 2011, 06:43 PM
By the way Jake, your video came up in my G+ linux sparks today.

I'm guessing that's a good thing? Lols... awesome :)

Blasphemist
September 23rd, 2011, 07:14 PM
Yep, I couldn't tell you how they decide what comes up when but it means more visibility for you.

jakejw93
September 24th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Yep, I couldn't tell you how they decide what comes up when but it means more visibility for you.

Oh that's awesome then wahoo! :P

Also done a blog post + new video on Desura in Linux since I was one of them people to get the Desura beta :)

jakejw93
October 2nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
bump de bump

jakejw93
October 5th, 2011, 05:32 PM
last bump for a while...

perspectoff
October 5th, 2011, 05:51 PM
This thread is spam by the OP, plain and simple.

jakejw93
October 5th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Are you on about my first post being spam? Its a link to my website not a hoax. It would be nice seeing more people visiting my site that is all...?

fatality_uk
October 5th, 2011, 09:46 PM
I am sure many people would all likes more visitors but gratuitous bumping is often frowned upon, hence perspectoff's comment I believe.