PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installation Stuck on "Where are you?"

blinovitch
September 10th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 that has successfully run Ubuntu for a while, currently on 10.04 LTS. Recently, it began having kernel panic issues. A friend suggested that in light of memory and disk checks suggesting everything was fine, the best recourse was to reinstall the OS.

So I burned a 10.04.3 live disc yesterday and booted it to start the process. Only when I begin the installation process, either from the desktop icon in the live session or via the menu option before the session boots, the installation process gets stuck after clicking Forward from the "Where are you?" screen, where the installer asks what time zone to use. The waiting icon spins and spins without ever doing anything.

Is there somewhere I can look for error messages or a log of what's happening? I've never encountered problems during the installation process before, so I'm at a loss as to where to start.

mörgæs
September 10th, 2011, 09:39 PM
'Stuck' can be a bit tricky. Some steps in the process can take quite some time - for how long did you wait?

Did you have wired internet connection while installing?

blinovitch
September 10th, 2011, 10:12 PM
'Stuck' can be a bit tricky. Some steps in the process can take quite some time - for how long did you wait?

Did you have wired internet connection while installing?
I waited about half an hour and yes, there was a working wired internet connection.

mörgæs
September 10th, 2011, 11:31 PM
If 10.04 has worked before, then I would recommend the alternate ISO. You can download it from the link in my signature.

blinovitch
September 11th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I will give the alternate ISO a go and report on the results.

Sef
September 11th, 2011, 04:00 PM
So I burned a 10.04.3 live disc yesterday and booted it to start the process.

1) Did you md5 the download or used bit torrent to download?

2) Did you check the cd for errors? (It is an option toward the bottom of the list of options to do.)

If 10.04 has worked before, then I would recommend the alternate ISO.

The alternate CD is a text-based installer and easy to use. The only tricky part is if you have to manually partition the hard drive and have never done it before.

blinovitch
September 12th, 2011, 03:17 AM
The alternate CD install worked!

I wonder what changed to keep the regular one from doing so, but I'm also glad my laptop is back in business.

mörgæs
September 12th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Good, please mark the thread 'solved'.

It happens often that older computers prefer the alternate during installation. An easy first step to try.

Enjoy!