PDA

View Full Version : HELP - how do I choose a CPU fan?

kyral210
September 10th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Hi

I am really happy with my desktop, but the CPU fan is so loud its driving me nuts! I know I can upgrade the CPU fan, but I am a little scared I will buy the wrong one.

1) How do I choose the right CPU fan (or are they all universal)
2) How do I replace my old one?

Thanks

coffeecat
September 10th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Someone after my own heart who likes a silent PC! :)

You really need to replace both the fan and the cooler itself. Since you are in the UK, you couldn't do better than shop here:

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/home

And for CPU coolers:

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/cpucoolers

You need to know which socket you have to get the correct fitting. A lot of those coolers come with fittings for most/all CPU sockets, but some of the exotic ones need a degree in engineering to be able to fit them. :( I had a CPU cooler for which you needed to remove the motherboard, remove the small frame from the motherboard to which the cooler attaches, and fit a new frame and clamp to the underside of the motherboard.

But some are easy to fit. This:

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/cpucoolers/shuriken-big

Or at least the AMD version was straightforward.

Also - check the dimensions of the cooler against your motherboard and case. Some are very large. Or wide. That Shuriken will block one of the RAM slots in some micro-ATX boards if you have a standard height RAM stick. Fortunately the Kingston value RAM I used was unusually slender.

Basically, the process is to remove the old cooler - sometimes they get stuck to the CPU and are difficult to prise off - then clean the top surface of the CPU of old thermal paste. Smear a very thin layer of new thermal paste on the CPU and fit the new cooler, not forgetting to plug the fan cable into the motherboard header.

QuietPC have a forum - the link is on their page.

Good luck!

kyral210
September 10th, 2011, 09:54 AM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

I will get onto this really fast

some of the exotic ones need a degree in engineering to be able to fit them
Luckily I have a PhD in design :guitar:

coffeecat
September 10th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Luckily I have a PhD in design :guitar:

Just as well. :)

Good luck!

realzippy
September 10th, 2011, 02:05 PM
...., you couldn't do better than shop here:

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/home

...so this is no advertising spam?
I only ask because normally I report posts with such non linux related links
and they get deleted...confused.

Paqman
September 10th, 2011, 02:27 PM

Hey, it's Linux related if you install it on a machine running Linux. I can recommend Quiet PC too, they've got a good range of stuff and a really helpful website with loads of good info.

sffvba[e0rt
September 10th, 2011, 04:00 PM

I think Paqman puts it well. Spam or "unsolicited advertising" is a bit different than helping a fellow Ubuntu Forums member with a problem and giving them sound advice stemming from experience.

OT: Nothing worse than a noise PC fan (my case is already running on two less due to noise :))

Lucradia
September 10th, 2011, 10:56 PM
OT: Nothing worse than a noise PC fan (my case is already running on two less due to noise :))

Low hums are awesome though. :P

My HAF-X 5 chassis fans and thermaltake frio nary make but a low hum on most games and things. (You can't install the X55/6 bracket onto the HAF-X though, requires metal cutting. Not that I care, Intel changes its brackets way way too much.)

3rdalbum
September 11th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I'm quite happy with my Noctua CPU cooler. It wasn't too tough to install (for someone who'd built their computer and is generally a mechanical numbnuts), it keeps the CPU nice and cool and it's very quiet. I just need to replace the rear case fan with a Noctua and then I'm set.

Noctua's fans are designed to push a lot of air with very little noise, I think they have patents on some of their designs.

mips
September 11th, 2011, 08:45 AM
http://www.acousticpc.com/quietest_cpu_fans.html

Artemis3
September 12th, 2011, 09:42 AM
The big ones are more silent, but need the space... Remember when you replace a fancooler, you need to get rid of the remnants of the previous thermal grease on top of the cpu (alcohol helps) and apply a new one correctly (usually just a little drop in the middle).

You should inspect your case for proper air flow, a noisy fan could also be an overheating issue. You want your air to flow in a single direction, in case you have extra fans... Its usually front to back, side fans tend to sabotage this. Leaving the case open deprives hard drives and memory sticks from cooling (no airflow).

Sometimes ppl put the fancoolers wrong and the cpu overheats forcing the fan to go max. It is tricky to put the intel ones properly unless you take the motherboard out entirely and make sure the black plastic is coming out below when you push the bloody things (press 2 in diagonals).

In any case check your cpu temperature...

Oh yes, to choose one see if it is for your cpu model/brand or socket.

If you have never done this, get some help of someone with experience installing fancoolers.

kyral210
September 16th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Thanks for your messages guys. Can you tell me if you think this would be a good choice:

http://www.ebuyer.com/253477-arctic-cooling-freezer-13-intel-and-amd-socket-heatpipe-cooling-fan-ucaco-fz130-bl

or would it be worth spending the extra cash on this monster:

http://www.ebuyer.com/239842-noctua-nh-u9b-se2-socket-775-1156-1155-am2-1366-am3-aluminium-with-copper-nh-u9b-se2

Oh, I should also note my processor! Its not exactly AMAZING, but its an AMD Athlon 64 X2

tmette
September 16th, 2011, 04:27 PM
All this talk about quiet CPU fans, makes me wonder if it would be possible to get the Dyson fan (no blades) as a smaller version for some case fans.

That would be pretty sweet. :)

Inodoro Pereyra
September 16th, 2011, 05:23 PM
All this talk about quiet CPU fans, makes me wonder if it would be possible to get the Dyson fan (no blades) as a smaller version for some case fans.

That would be pretty sweet. :)

The Dyson fan does have blades. They're just hidden in the base.

Lucradia
September 17th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Also, if you need something that isn't tall, but still is dual fan, and packs a punch, try searching through noctua's line over at newegg. basically, it suspends the cooling fins in midair from the conducting pipes, and on top and bottom of said fins are the fans.

kyral210
September 17th, 2011, 06:04 PM
So which one of the two fans I put up would suit me best?

kyral210
October 3rd, 2011, 07:51 AM
Guys? Any advice on which fan I should buy and why?

mips
October 3rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ is a very good bang for buck cooler.

Swagman
October 3rd, 2011, 12:35 PM
I'm running (AMD) artic cooler + extras fans.

Mine Does sound like Heathrow on a "Pack em, Stack em & Rack em" day though !!

I've been debating getting that Humongous V8 HSF

KingYaba
October 8th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ is a very good bang for buck cooler.

This, definitely this. They have remade the 212+ called the 212+ Evo. Or, buy the original 212+ for a few dollars less. I was in the same boat as the OP a year ago; my stock AMD crap was loud and $30 was spent well just for shutting the thing up. But heck, overclocking with that 212+ is quite good with my Phenom II. Got to a sound 3.8ghz on my 955.