PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Upgrade from xubuntu to ubuntu

bigtel
September 10th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I am currently running xubuntu 10.04 LTS and was wondering how to upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu.

saltmarshlamb
September 10th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Well you'd need to upgrade xubuntu to the latest version and then install ubuntu-desktop and then remove xubuntu-desktop.

You might be better off backing up your data and doing a clean install over the top of the existing xubuntu install.

uRock
September 10th, 2011, 08:09 AM
You might be better off backing up your data and doing a clean install over the top of the existing xubuntu install.

+1 I recently went though the method of uninstalling the xubuntu-desktop packaging and installing ubuntu-desktop and the process missed quite a few packages, which caused some problems. It'd be much faster and easier to run a clean install of ubuntu 11.04. Backups are a must, even with upgrading, and running 11.04 from the LiveCD/USB on your machine is a good thing to do. Running the LiveCD/USB will help determine if your hardware will be supported well on the newer version.

saltmarshlamb
September 10th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Running the LiveCD/USB will help determine if your hardware will be supported well on the newer version.This - with the added bonus that you'll then find you really just want to use the newer xubuntu :p

bigtel
September 10th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Thanks for your replies - I think running the live CD is a great idea. I will proceed that way.And it will show me if the newer version runs on my old laptop..!