PDA

View Full Version : Skim milk might be unhealthy

sdowney717
September 10th, 2011, 01:33 AM
I find this interesting as all we use is skim milk.
It can lead to an increase in arterial plaques and heart disease. So what I thought was healthier than whole milk looks like I was wrong.

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/cholesterol/is-skim-milk-making-you-fat?ocid=xnetr3-1

THE SKINNY ON NONFAT MILK

To turn skim milk white, "some companies fortify their product with powdered skim," says Bob Roberts, a dairy scientist at Penn State. Powdered skim (which is also added to organic low-fat milks) is produced by spraying the liquid under heat and high pressure, a process that oxidizes the cholesterol. In animal studies, oxidized cholesterol triggers a host of biological changes, leading to plaque formation in the arteries and heart disease, Spanish researchers reported in 1996. "OCs are mutagenic and carcinogenic," they wrote. In 1998, Australian researchers studied rabbits fed OC and found that the animals "had a 64% increase in total aortic cholesterol" despite having less cholesterol in their blood than rabbits fed natural sources of the substance. (A 2008 Chinese study with hamsters confirmed these findings.) Roberts says the amount of OC created by adding powdered skim is "not very much," but until the effects on humans are known, it's impossible to say what's a safe level.

Bandit
September 10th, 2011, 01:45 AM
I drink 1% or 2% if I cant get 1%. Body needs a little fat intake to keep your skin from drying out anyway..

LowSky
September 10th, 2011, 01:48 AM
I still drink Whole Milk. People complain its full of fat but it is better than any amount of soda.

sffvba[e0rt
September 10th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Yikes... this is good to know...

JDShu
September 10th, 2011, 02:32 AM
It seems that anything you eat these days is potentially harmful. I say stay away from the stuff where the harm is well documented and don't worry too much about stuff like this.

SoFl W
September 10th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Remember they told us eggs, were bad, then good, then only parts were good, and then something else.

You should not get too excited or follow anything just because you are told.

handy
September 10th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Remember they told us eggs, were bad, then good, then only parts were good, and then something else.

You should not get too excited or follow anything just because you are told.

If you go & read up on that study that made eggs bad for so many in the world for so long, you will find that the eggs the scientists used were all powdered eggs...

As far as arteriosclerosis is concerned, some of the studies of Linus Pauling (two time Nobel prize winning research scientist) show that the most important nutrient to have lots off every day is vit' C. Lots of, meaning at least 3 grams/day.

If you want to remove your accumulated arterial plaque, then double that dose for some time, then go & have "another" set of blood tests & see if you need to continue at that level or if you can then go back to the 3 grams maintenance dosage. Vit E, also helps as do some other nutrients, but vit' C is the one.

90% of the pharmaceutically trained medical practitioners of course say that this is a load of rubbish. They may also say that taking large doses of vitamins is bad for your health.

If you do a search on how many people died from vitamin overdoses last year, & then do a search on how many die from prescribed pharmaceuticals, you'll see that none died from vitamins & ~100,000 died from prescribed pharmaceuticals (U.S. figures).

Most importantly, do your own research & then make your own choices, as it is your body/life.

How do you want to spend the last 10->20 years of your life?

Most people create the health conditions that they must live with in their last 2 decades, during their previous years. For most, it is possible to turn some of the damage that we do around fairly quickly - that is in a year or two. Though it takes commitment to do the research & then apply what is learned consistently.

The young guns usually don't care about this stuff, as they still feel like they (their bodies) are immortal... :lolflag: I know I didn't.

Now I know it isn't my body that is immortal... \\:D/

speedwell68
September 11th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Just eat and drink what you like, with some degree of moderation. Then just take regular light exercise on a daily basis.

LowSky
September 11th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Vit C is important, but not as much as Vit D. Most people eat enough vit c because its in so many fruits and veggies, but vit D is barely in food. the only way we get enough is to go sit outside for a bit, and because western society lives most of the time indoors we get low on the stuff.

snip3r8
September 11th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Lions milk is dangerous because if you milk a lion it might scratch you a little.

handy
September 11th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Vit C is important, but not as much as Vit D. Most people eat enough vit c because its in so many fruits and veggies, but vit D is barely in food. the only way we get enough is to go sit outside for a bit, and because western society lives most of the time indoors we get low on the stuff.

Apart from lifestyle, the problem is that the food we eat (fruit & veg') doesn't have the amount of nutrition that it had 50 years ago. If you have a search on it, you will find that the difference is remarkably large.

So researchers such as Linux Pauling developed treatments using orthomolecular medicine which uses massive amounts more than what is called the RDA of certain vitamin & mineral combinations to bring about remarkable results.

The people that think you just eat & drink a variety & in moderately are usually uninformed & still in the prime of their life. As you get older you can start to get a far more clearly defined understanding of your end & therefore ways to avoid certain diseases becomes more valid.

A problem is, that for younger people they are eating food that is far less nutritious than I was at their age, for no other reason than the degradation bought about via monocultural farming practices & the desire to grow food that keeps longer, transports better & is more resistant to diseases (monsanto).

These factors in combination with extended food storage in cool rooms & the fast food & beverage habits of so many means that they have a far greater chance of succumbing to cardiovascular disease, obesity, diabetes, cancer, psychological disorders & on it goes...

So it is most certainly well worth while educating ourselves & spending a little extra on both the quality of our food & the appropriate supplements. If for no other reason than to have some control on the state of our health in the last 10 -> 20 years of our life.

3Miro
September 11th, 2011, 01:24 AM
When I see something Fat Free, Light, Skim, Reduced Fat or anything even remotely similar, I just don't eat it. If you are worried about your weight, just eat less. Garbage food or complete abstinence from your favorite food will not work well for you.

handy
September 11th, 2011, 02:36 AM
When I see something Fat Free, Light, Skim, Reduced Fat or anything even remotely similar, I just don't eat it. If you are worried about your weight, just eat less. Garbage food or complete abstinence from your favourite food will not work well for you.

Apart from weight issues due to poor nutrition there is arteriosclerosis which has its primary causes of inadequate nutrition in combination with too much of the wrong types of fat.

Nutrition is not simple subject.

Gremlinzzz
September 11th, 2011, 02:39 AM
If you go & read up on that study that made eggs bad for so many in the world for so long, you will find that the eggs the scientists used were all powdered eggs...

As far as arteriosclerosis is concerned, some of the studies of Linus Pauling (two time Nobel prize winning research scientist) show that the most important nutrient to have lots off every day is vit' C. Lots of, meaning at least 3 grams/day.

If you want to remove your accumulated arterial plaque, then double that dose for some time, then go & have "another" set of blood tests & see if you need to continue at that level or if you can then go back to the 3 grams maintenance dosage. Vit E, also helps as do some other nutrients, but vit' C is the one.

90% of the pharmaceutically trained medical practitioners of course say that this is a load of rubbish. They may also say that taking large doses of vitamins is bad for your health.

If you do a search on how many people died from vitamin overdoses last year, & then do a search on how many die from prescribed pharmaceuticals, you'll see that none died from vitamins & ~100,000 died from prescribed pharmaceuticals (U.S. figures).

Most importantly, do your own research & then make your own choices, as it is your body/life.

How do you want to spend the last 10->20 years of your life?

Most people create the health conditions that they must live with in their last 2 decades, during their previous years. For most, it is possible to turn some of the damage that we do around fairly quickly - that is in a year or two. Though it takes commitment to do the research & then apply what is learned consistently.

The young guns usually don't care about this stuff, as they still feel like they (their bodies) are immortal... :lolflag: I know I didn't.

You left out vitamin D3 the sunshine vitamin for people who don't get enough sun.:popcorn:

IWantFroyo
September 11th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Lions milk is dangerous because if you milk a lion it might scratch you a little.

What?

As for the milk issue, I just get whole milk. Keeps things less complicated. Stores almost always have whole milk left over.

I actually used to be lactose intolerant for a few years, but then I just started drinking milk again, and no issues! :)

handy
September 11th, 2011, 03:18 AM
You left out vitamin D3 the sunshine vitamin for people who don't get enough sun.:popcorn:

I wasn't writing a thesis on the subject. ;)

Like I said, people should do their own research. Though unfortunately most don't bother, & their medical practitioners rarely have any valuable training in nutrition. Though that is ever so slowly starting to change for the better here & there.

The hold that the big pharmaceutical companies have on the medical profession is most unfortunate. Due to big pharma' medicine is about profiting from disease, not preventing it.

Some facts using statistics from the U.S. follow:

Medical schools receive large financial grants from the pharmaceutical industry.

Over the past 50 years the medical industry has spent enormous resources and utilized the combined intellect of thousands of medical researchers trying to solve the great problem of heart disease. Yet, despite this enormous undertaking, Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) remains the top killer in the USA.

$326,000,000,000 (yes, that’s billion!) is spent annually on treating heart disease (that’s $652,000 every minute) [American Heart Association]

30,000,000,000 is spent annually on Coronary Bypass Operations.

Survivors of Heart Attacks and Strokes frequently become disabled and eventually end up in Nursing Homes. $120,000,000,000 is spent annually on skilled nursing care.

It is estimated the cost of treating all current heart patients in the USA with the Pauling Therapy at about $120 million annually (that’s less than 1/2 of 1% of 326 billion!)

If someone were to discover a simple and inexpensive preventative and cure for cardiovascular disease, it would threaten the livelihoods of every employee of a pharmaceutical company, every investor in a pharmaceutical company, every hospital employee, every cardiologist, every employee of a cardiologist, every heart surgeon, everyone who assists in heart surgery from the nurses to the anesthesiologist to the person who sweeps the operating room floor. A simple and inexpensive preventative and cure for heart disease would cause such disruption to this “industry” that it would not be able to survive in anything like its present form.

Hospitals, cardiologists and drug companies can not make a penny off of healthy people.

Hospital administrators, cardiologists, and the CEOs of pharmaceutical companies know that they can not make a penny off of healthy people. Let me be clear, I do not believe that there is some kind of grand conspiracy going on or that everyone who works in the heart disease industry is evil. Most people working in this industry are good people who are simply ignorant. There are some, however, who know better (or who should know better). But I do not consider even these people to be evil. If I had spent tons of money and 16 years of my life leaning how to do coronary artery bypass surgery, I too would want to reap a good return on the investment of my time, money, and effort. I might not be very eager to learn about something that would make my knowledge and skills obsolete.

Part of the problem may be the scientific method itself. Science writer Lynne McTaggart made the following observation in her book, The Field:

“To be a revolutionary in science today is to flirt with professional suicide. Much as the field purports to encourage experimental freedom, the entire structure of science, with its competitive grant system, coupled with the publishing and peer review system, largely depends upon individuals conforming to the accepted scientific world view. The system tends to encourage professionals to carry out experimentation whose purpose is primarily to confirm the existing view of things, or to further develop technology for industry, rather than to serve up true innovation.” [HarperCollins Publishers, Inc., New York, NY, 2002, p 13 (hardcover)]

smellyman
September 11th, 2011, 09:18 AM
It's debateable that any kind of milk is healthy as adults.

60% of adults are lactose intolerant. the ability to digest milk as adults is really a genetic defect....

mips
September 11th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Breathing is bad for you. Besides taking in pollutants oxygen also kills cells like rust.

mips
September 11th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Breathing is bad for you. Besides taking in pollutants oxygen also kills cells like rust.

handy
September 11th, 2011, 12:31 PM

That's why you need to have a good intake of antioxidants. :)

Gremlinzzz
September 11th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I wasn't writing a thesis on the subject.
maybe you should or start a thread on the subject.
what about the good fats like DHA i get mine fish free:popcorn:

handy
September 11th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I wasn't writing a thesis on the subject.
maybe you should or start a thread on the subject.
what about the good fats like DHA i get mine fish free:popcorn:

Me too, I'm a vegan. :)

Gremlinzzz
September 11th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Don't want to high jack thread so milk does the body good ,except skim milk!:popcorn:

NadirPoint
September 11th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I have been thinking along the same lines as Handy for many years now, as it relates to the healthcare industry. It has taken on a life of it's own, literally at the expense of people's lives. Unwittingly or not, I will call them evil, simply for their willfully ignorant behavior.

How else can you characterize an entire sector of the economy and insurance industry when their business model threatens the viability of the economy itself along with lives at risk?

Ric_NYC
September 11th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Whole milk, 3% fat.

That's what I drink.

I don't care what people say... ( hehehehe...)

The 0% fat milk has a blueish color. I cannot drink that... besides that it is tasteless.

KiwiNZ
September 11th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I wasn't writing a thesis on the subject. ;)

Like I said, people should do their own research. Though unfortunately most don't bother, & their medical practitioners rarely have any valuable training in nutrition. Though that is ever so slowly starting to change for the better here & there.

The hold that the big pharmaceutical companies have on the medical profession is most unfortunate. Due to big pharma' medicine is about profiting from disease, not preventing it.

Some facts using statistics from the U.S. follow:

Medical schools receive large financial grants from the pharmaceutical industry.

Over the past 50 years the medical industry has spent enormous resources and utilized the combined intellect of thousands of medical researchers trying to solve the great problem of heart disease. Yet, despite this enormous undertaking, Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) remains the top killer in the USA.

$326,000,000,000 (yes, that’s billion!) is spent annually on treating heart disease (that’s $652,000 every minute) [American Heart Association]

30,000,000,000 is spent annually on Coronary Bypass Operations.

Survivors of Heart Attacks and Strokes frequently become disabled and eventually end up in Nursing Homes. $120,000,000,000 is spent annually on skilled nursing care.

It is estimated the cost of treating all current heart patients in the USA with the Pauling Therapy at about $120 million annually (that’s less than 1/2 of 1% of 326 billion!)

If someone were to discover a simple and inexpensive preventative and cure for cardiovascular disease, it would threaten the livelihoods of every employee of a pharmaceutical company, every investor in a pharmaceutical company, every hospital employee, every cardiologist, every employee of a cardiologist, every heart surgeon, everyone who assists in heart surgery from the nurses to the anesthesiologist to the person who sweeps the operating room floor. A simple and inexpensive preventative and cure for heart disease would cause such disruption to this “industry” that it would not be able to survive in anything like its present form.

Hospitals, cardiologists and drug companies can not make a penny off of healthy people.

Hospital administrators, cardiologists, and the CEOs of pharmaceutical companies know that they can not make a penny off of healthy people. Let me be clear, I do not believe that there is some kind of grand conspiracy going on or that everyone who works in the heart disease industry is evil. Most people working in this industry are good people who are simply ignorant. There are some, however, who know better (or who should know better). But I do not consider even these people to be evil. If I had spent tons of money and 16 years of my life leaning how to do coronary artery bypass surgery, I too would want to reap a good return on the investment of my time, money, and effort. I might not be very eager to learn about something that would make my knowledge and skills obsolete.

Part of the problem may be the scientific method itself. Science writer Lynne McTaggart made the following observation in her book, The Field:

“To be a revolutionary in science today is to flirt with professional suicide. Much as the field purports to encourage experimental freedom, the entire structure of science, with its competitive grant system, coupled with the publishing and peer review system, largely depends upon individuals conforming to the accepted scientific world view. The system tends to encourage professionals to carry out experimentation whose purpose is primarily to confirm the existing view of things, or to further develop technology for industry, rather than to serve up true innovation.” [HarperCollins Publishers, Inc., New York, NY, 2002, p 13 (hardcover)]

Self diagnosis and treatment is as dangerous or if not more dangerous than no Professional diagnosis/treatment.

I hear a lot the "big bad drug companies". Medical treatment research, development and testing costs huge amounts of money. Those companies have a right to recoup costs and make a profit to continue their vital work . Without the efforts of Drug companies, medical appliance companies and a very long lists of medical professionals I would still be in an Electric Wheelchair or worse dead.

NadirPoint
September 11th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Medical treatment research, development and testing costs huge amounts of money.
Which doesn't make the source of their ill-gotten profits any less despicable.

It's a self-serving business, self-fulfilling prophecy. There's a pill or appliance for every ill, but little in the way of prevention. Treat the symptoms, not the root cause.

Paqman
September 11th, 2011, 09:19 PM

Actually it is. Just not in its current configuration. All your atoms are billions of years old.

Sadly this information, while factually correct, is not the slightest bit of use to anyone.

DZ*
September 11th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Which doesn't make the source of their ill-gotten profits any less despicable. It's a self-serving business, self-fulfilling prophecy. There's a pill or appliance for every ill, but little in the way of prevention. Treat the symptoms, not the root cause.

They would treat the cause just as self-servingly, if they could. Discovering good new drugs have not been easy.

In 2008 GSK bought a company for $270M that had been developing disease preventive and anti-ageing compounds (longer-lived analogues of resveratrol in red wine). They had to stop the trials because of the side effects.

Or, one can take the conspiracy route and proclaim that was the price to kill the threat.

It's presumptuous to think companies somehow benefit from a lack of pill that would cure heart disease. A drug company that could discover such a drug would make every effort to get it on the market. A blockbuster drug is a rarity but ultimately that is what makes pharma companies rich. Further, there is no such thing as "to die of old age". Unless there is a pill that would make people immortal, something else is going to break eventually and the pathological process that leads to that is something companies would be making new money from.

It's just wishful thinking that curing common diseases will make people "healthy" and that we would then go off like a light bulb, with no apparent cause (and an associated degenerative process starting long before the lights go off).

NadirPoint
September 11th, 2011, 10:46 PM
A drug company that could discover such a drug would make every effort to get it on the market.
This is the fundamental problem with the whole healthcare paradigm today - a pill (drug) for everything.

You don't need nearly so much drugs if you are not sick in the first place. But where's the profit in that?

I can imagine a world where fast food and big drug companies do not exist anywhere near like we know them today. It's a better place.

KiwiNZ
September 11th, 2011, 10:55 PM
This is the fundamental problem with the whole healthcare paradigm today - a pill (drug) for everything.

You don't need nearly so much drugs if you are not sick in the first place. But where's the profit in that?

I can imagine a world where fast food and big drug companies do not exist anywhere near like we know them today. It's a better place.

Drugs don't just treat illness they also treat injury ;)

NadirPoint
September 11th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Drugs don't just treat illness they also treat injury ;)
As well as impotence, insomnia, ADD, and a host of other lifestyle and culturally supported imaginary maladies. Fory every $1 worth of pain killers used on an injury victim they sell $100m dollars worth of boner pills.

KiwiNZ
September 11th, 2011, 11:02 PM
As well as impotence, insomnia, ADD, and a host of other lifestyle and culturally supported imaginary maladies. Fory every $1 worth of pain killers used on an injury victim they sell $100m dollars worth of boner pills.

With respect I believe you posting from a lack of experience and or knowledge perspective.:rolleyes:

NadirPoint
September 11th, 2011, 11:06 PM
With respect I believe you posting from a lack of experience and or knowledge perspective.:rolleyes:
Numbers exaggeration for effect. ;) All reality aside, maybe the painkillers would be less expensive if the marketing machine wasn't focused on the boner pills?

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 12th, 2011, 12:04 AM
:lolflag:

I am 63 years old. If all the warnings were true, then I died already. What they say is good for you today may be bad for you tomorrow and visa-versa. There are some things that should be avoided; such as smoking. However, I don't think small things like skim milk are going to make a big difference.

platatomi
September 12th, 2011, 12:12 AM
what does this have to do with Ubuntu?

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 12th, 2011, 12:17 AM
what does this have to do with Ubuntu?

Scroll up to the top of your browser window and read what it says about the Community Cafe. :)

uRock
September 12th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Self diagnosis and treatment is as dangerous or if not more dangerous than no Professional diagnosis/treatment.

I hear a lot the "big bad drug companies". Medical treatment research, development and testing costs huge amounts of money. Those companies have a right to recoup costs and make a profit to continue their vital work . Without the efforts of Drug companies, medical appliance companies and a very long lists of medical professionals I would still be in an Electric Wheelchair or worse dead.

I have had a doctor prescribe me two medications to take for the rest of my life, because he felt the surgery would be to uncomfortable/humiliating. I told he thanks, but no thanks. Once I applied for and started getting health care through Veteran's Affairs, they told me I had made the correct decision.

I met someone in line at a pharmacy who had no insurance and was spending close to a grand a month on prescriptions. It is a sad market.

On topic, I drink almond milk. Cows are gross.

drawkcab
September 12th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Soy Milk!!! Except for the fact that a good share of soy beans are genetically modified these days. :(

Lucradia
September 12th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Decaf is also unhealthy for the heart. Sadly, I'm going to have to keep drinking skim milk. Even though I estercize a bunch nowadays, I keep putting on a couple pounds here and there.

Soy Milk!!! Except for the fact that a good share of soy beans are genetically modified these days. :(

Usually very expensive in comparison to regular milk, and often not refridgerated.

handy
September 12th, 2011, 01:54 AM

It's presumptuous to think companies somehow benefit from a lack of pill that would cure heart disease. A drug company that could discover such a drug would make every effort to get it on the market. A blockbuster drug is a rarity but ultimately that is what makes pharma companies rich.

It is not in their interest to promote the ways to avoid CVD. They could do it now, but their businesses would diminish dramatically.

Their primary concern is quarterly profits & the benefits that the members of the board get due to those.

Further, there is no such thing as "to die of old age". Unless there is a pill that would make people immortal, something else is going to break eventually and the pathological process that leads to that is something companies would be making new money from.

It's just wishful thinking that curing common diseases will make people "healthy" and that we would then go off like a light bulb, with no apparent cause (and an associated degenerative process starting long before the lights go off).

You are reacting in an uncharacteristically unintelligent fashion. :confused:

I take it from what you wrote above that you don't believe that a person can via the use of nutrients (one way or another) effect how long they will live, how healthily they will live, & therefore have some control over what diseases they are prone to?

If that is your belief, the quality of your life will most likely benefit from you doing some open minded study on the subject. You may be very surprised at what you learn.

handy
September 12th, 2011, 02:05 AM

That is a BIG generalisation KiwiNZ.

If someone takes measures using various nutrients in an effort to prevent illness, I can't see them doing themselves any damage. The water soluble nutrients (most of them) are eliminated in approx' 4 hours, the fat soluble stay longer.

People are advised what they should & shouldn't eat if they want to avoid CVD, diabetes & so on, by government departments no less. That is nutrition they are talking about.

It is true that the pharmaceutical companies have done a lot of good in fighting disease.

What I was saying is that they control the medical profession & that the "business" of medicine is about making money from disease, NOT preventing disease.

There was a time in the past in China, when every person in a village paid the village healer - until they got sick!

DZ*
September 12th, 2011, 03:49 AM
You are reacting in an uncharacteristically unintelligent fashion. :confused:

I take it from what you wrote above that you don't believe that a person can via the use of nutrients (one way or another) effect how long they will live, how healthily they will live, & therefore have some control over what diseases they are prone to?

If that is your belief, the quality of your life will most likely benefit from you doing some open minded study on the subject. You may be very surprised at what you learn.

I've been studying a field of so-called life extension for a long time (not by reading websites but by following peer reviewed literature), and practicing what is known to extend life. Whatever a person is going to die from would always be a form of disease (discounting accidents). Its progression can be delayed by drugs. Take away heart disease, late cancers will come around, cure that, face dementia, and so on.

You appear to be thinking that people are lobsters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negligible_senescence).

Linuxisfast
September 12th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Been drinking whole cow's and buffalo's milk since childhood, I have no cholesterol issues with total count of 138 at 54% HDL.

KiwiNZ
September 12th, 2011, 04:35 AM
That is a BIG generalisation KiwiNZ.

If someone takes measures using various nutrients in an effort to prevent illness, I can't see them doing themselves any damage. The water soluble nutrients (most of them) are eliminated in approx' 4 hours, the fat soluble stay longer.

People are advised what they should & shouldn't eat if they want to avoid CVD, diabetes & so on, by government departments no less. That is nutrition they are talking about.

It is true that the pharmaceutical companies have done a lot of good in fighting disease.

What I was saying is that they control the medical profession & that the "business" of medicine is about making money from disease, NOT preventing disease.

There was a time in the past in China, when every person in a village paid the village healer - until they got sick!

Early Diagnosis is key to successful treatment in many illnesses. By doing 'self diagnosis' the untrained will miss the early diagnosis window.

The untrained do not know the extent of interaction of substances and their effect on illness. There is also overdose of vitamins etc.

This is why I believe the pseudo-medical sector is more dangerous than the negative aspects of the Drug Companies.

That said the practice of eating correctly, drinking sufficient water and getting enough sleep etc is important "self treatment".

Grenage
September 12th, 2011, 09:37 AM

I use soy milk, but I drink it knowing that I'm probably causing Brazilian deforestation and a hormone imbalance. Really you can't win; there's just too many people in the world.

DZ*
September 12th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Handy, we both agree that we could (and should) modify our nutrient intake, exercise habits, and all else we have control over, to maximize life span, happiness, and prolong our disease-free years. Not much is known how to prolong life span dramatically yet, but the exponential growth of human genetics field makes me very hopeful. What I disagree with is that, barring accidents, a person can "die healthy": that is an oxymoron. And that is where money are to be made by pharma companies. Even accidents cannot be defined well. Negligibly senescent animals (hence my facetious reference to lobsters) may die of accumulation of small accidents, like parasite load or even accumulation of events on the cellular level, e.g. genetic drift in the mitochondrial pool. These things can potentially be controlled... for example, by drugs.

NadirPoint
September 12th, 2011, 05:44 PM
...to maximize life span, happiness, and prolong our disease-free years.
Too bad health, happiness and a benevolent big pharma industry does not fit well with the business plan.

DZ*
September 12th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I have no illusions about what businesses are about. I don't subscribe however to the conspiracy viewpoint that pharma companies are purposely trying to keep us all sick.

As to "the pill" -- a pill is just a shape.

Shove an organic blueberry into a gelcap and there you have a pill!

drawkcab
September 12th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Usually very expensive in comparison to regular milk, and often not refridgerated.

Not true where I live! This must be the result of the Wisconsin dairy mafia and its subsidies. ;)