PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] can't install flash

rozzik
September 9th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Hi all

I recently installed 11.04 Xubuntu 64 on my mac air. All fine, except it won't let me install flash from the software centre

It keeps saying CD 'Xubuntu 11.04 _Natty Narwhal_ - Release amd64 (20110427)' is required. The CD is in the player, but it won't recognise it.

Don't know if this is a naming issue, when the CD is burned, the burning software on my mac always truncates the title - however, the original iso file for the installation did not have the name as it is written in the error message any way.

Is there a way of pointing the software centre to the installation boot cd that I have.

Any help from someone that has experienced similar and/or understands the problem, greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Roz

ottosykora
September 9th, 2011, 08:28 PM
hmmm, in fact it should install it, but there is much better way to get really working flash on x64

install extension called flashaid from moz addons website

this will then give you choice to install latest stable or latest unstable or what ever version directly from adobe server.

You can also go to adobe.com, download for flash and you will be offered there x64 version for ubuntu beside other things too.

Enigmapond
September 9th, 2011, 08:47 PM
+1 yes install the flash-aid addon for FF, but more importantly, in your software sources, uncheck the CD...should be the last entry on the page. You don't need that checked and it will cause further issues when updating your system.

rozzik
September 9th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks everyone, the problem was in one of the tabs in the software sources it had the cd listed, and I had been looking though the software sources several times hoping for inspiration, no idea why i didn't see that before.

I now have the Flash-Aid too.

:)