PDA

View Full Version : [other] Help - Reformatting Drive to NTFS to Install Windows

Skasucks93
September 9th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I'm trying to reformat everything and use my Windows 7 recovery DVD, but can't make the drive NTFS. I don't want to dual boot.

I tried using gparted but the option for deleting a partition is greyed out, and the Windows DVD can't format because the drive isn't NTFS.

Can someone help?

recluce
September 9th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I'm trying to reformat everything and use my Windows 7 recovery DVD, but can't make the drive NTFS. I don't want to dual boot.

I tried using gparted but the option for deleting a partition is greyed out, and the Windows DVD can't format because the drive isn't NTFS.

Can someone help?

Your partition is probably mounted. GParted cannot work on a mounted partition. As to Windows 7, it should be able to repartition the drive - but nowadays, many recovery CDs/DVDs are plain junk.

YesWeCan
September 9th, 2011, 10:44 PM
One subtle issue is that the live CD Ubuntu activates the swap partition on the HD. So you need to deactivate it before you can delete the swap partition:
sudo swapoff -a

Use GParted "Device" menu to create a new partition table. Choose MBR (if the disk size is 2TB or less). This will erase the disk contents. Windows will see it as a new disk.