PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Broadband with ubuntu ?

Nisal
September 9th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Do you guys ever had problem with mobile broadband connecting with ubuntu ?

This is a problem that i had from several ubntu release's, most of the time ubuntu unable to recognize hspa dongal and even it does it used to get disconnected ,

any one facing the same issue ?

BlacqWolf
September 9th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Nope. One time I went to a hotel that had pay-to-use Internet, so I plugged in my grandpa's Sprint cell adapter and after a few initial setup dialogs it was working OOTB.

NCLI
September 9th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Nope, it's been rocksolid for a while now.

switch10
September 9th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I have been in Australia the past 3 months using an optus pre-paid mobile broadband usb stick, no problems at all...

3rdalbum
September 9th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Mobile broadband can be a bit flaky regardless of OS.

BeRoot ReBoot
September 9th, 2011, 02:44 PM
It worked for me. The hardware was some generic Huawei 3g dongle given out by the provider. I just plugged it in, it asked me for the pin, it established the connection, and when I opened the browser, a page came up explaining how to set up the connection properly, which I did.

anaconda
September 9th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Most 3G dongles work without problems

BUT All 3g Wlan dongles work flawlessly.
That is because ubuntu sees those 3g dongles as just another normal wlan-internet

LowSky
September 9th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I can tether my phone just fine. But my carrier seems to think I should pay more for that capability so I don't do it.

ShodanjoDM
September 9th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I have an EVDO usb dongle, it works fine since 9.10 although in 11.04 I have to plug it out and plug it back in after login otherwise Network-Manager can't detect it.

I hope that this small regression will get fixed in 11.10.

SecretCode
September 9th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Before 9.04 I had quite a few problems. Since then - flawless and fast. With Huawei devices, ZTE devices and Android HTC phone tethering.

Nisal
September 11th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I have an EVDO usb dongle, it works fine since 9.10 although in 11.04 I have to plug it out and plug it back in after login otherwise Network-Manager can't detect it.

I hope that this small regression will get fixed in 11.10.

i have same problem. anyway is there any optional software like mobile manager to use instead of default "Network Manager" ?

lancest
September 11th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Use a 3G MIFI now for tablet and laptop.

ashickur.noor
September 11th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I have tried a few EDGE and 3G modem in my country. Only I find mobidata not to work with Linux. But other all works well then windows.

3rdalbum
September 11th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I can tether my phone just fine. But my carrier seems to think I should pay more for that capability so I don't do it.

You need to get away from North America then :-)

anaconda
September 12th, 2011, 10:46 AM
i have same problem. anyway is there any optional software like mobile manager to use instead of default "Network Manager" ?

wicd is good. Sometimes even better than Network Manager.
Wicd is in the repositories.
Note. Installing wicd will uninstall network manager. And if you want to move back to NM, just installing Network manager will uninstall wicd

Just google: wicd ubuntu

Nisal
September 22nd, 2011, 06:02 AM
wicd is good. Sometimes even better than Network Manager.
Wicd is in the repositories.
Note. Installing wicd will uninstall network manager. And if you want to move back to NM, just installing Network manager will uninstall wicd

Just google: wicd ubuntu

thank you, gonna try this

psrdotcom
September 22nd, 2011, 06:21 AM
I have tried with Huawei Modems and ZTE Modems .. those are working fine in INDIA ..

djheadley
September 22nd, 2011, 06:57 AM
I'm using VirginMobile and haven't had any trouble. I live in an area where I don't get much signal in my house (mobile home) but I use an external antenna and get a really strong signal.

I dual boot with Win Vista and activated the VirginMobile modem there so don't know about activating in Ubuntu.