PDA

View Full Version : It's Star Trek Day today....

standingwave
September 8th, 2011, 09:56 PM
When Gene Roddenberry’s epic series Star Trek first aired on CBS on September 8, 1966 no one knew what a phenomenon it would become. Forty-five years later, the legacy and millions of fans across the globe still continue to believe that space is the ‘final frontier’ and has yet to be fully explored.

http://graphicpolicy.com/2011/09/08/star-trek-anniversary/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEnyT0_BjxA

CharlesA
September 8th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Wow. I cannot believe it's been 45 years since Star Trek first aired.

NightwishFan
September 8th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Live long and prosper. Seems like a good day to watch some. :)

KiwiNZ
September 9th, 2011, 12:01 AM
It's life Jim, but not as we know it :p

NightwishFan
September 9th, 2011, 12:07 AM
*yawn*

Yawning is... irrelevant. -Locutus Of Borg

standingwave
September 9th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Wow. I cannot believe it's been 45 years since Star Trek first aired.I was alive but my parents wouldn't let me stay up to watch it so I wound up catching reruns when it went to daily syndication. It was very uneven ranging from City on the Edge of Forever to hell, I don't know, Spock's Brain? The OK Corral episode? The space hippies?

Shazaam
September 9th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Been here yet?...

http://www.desktopstarships.com

3rdalbum
September 9th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Huh? It's not May the fourth.

oldos2er
September 9th, 2011, 05:39 AM
I was alive but my parents wouldn't let me stay up to watch it so I wound up catching reruns when it went to daily syndication. It was very uneven ranging from City on the Edge of Forever to hell, I don't know, Spock's Brain? The OK Corral episode? The space hippies?

Headin' out to Eden, yea brother....

NightwishFan
September 9th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Huh? It's not May the fourth.

Remember remember the fifth of November.

standingwave
September 9th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Been here yet?...

http://www.desktopstarships.comCan't say that I have...

ve4cib
September 9th, 2011, 10:29 AM
While I definitely would not hesitate to describe myself as a Trekkie, I must admit that I was never much of a fan of the original TV series. It had some gems (City on the Edge of Forever definitely stands out against most of the rest), but the franchise definitely got better with age.

In terms of TV series I, along with most people I imagine, consider TNG to be at the peak. It had the same ability as the original to make poignant social commentary, but with far better execution in terms of writing, acting, and directing. "The Outcast (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outcast_%28Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation%29)" exemplifies this trait rather well, effectively being about the LGBT movement of the 90s. "Chain of Command (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_of_Command_%28Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation %29)" is also a very good example of this, with its rather frank discussions about torture and human rights. (It seems even more appropriate to me now than when it was first broadcast, thanks in large part to events such as those at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo Bay.)

However, my I think my favourite part of the entire franchise (including all the movies) is Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. It's a movie about the end of the Cold War, written before the collapse of the USSR, but released just after -- yet more interestingly predictive writing. Aside from the well-timed social commentary, ST6 does the best job of any of the movies or TV episodes of portraying Starfleet accurately as a believable military/para-military organization. The ship's command structure is obvious, with NCOs clearly visible. The use of naval jargon (e.g. "Right standard rudder") and frequent PA announcements ("Now here this. Now here this. ...") give the atmosphere on-board the Enterprise and Excelsior a believable, "this is really happening on a ship" feeling. Even the uniforms look like something someone would actually design to be worn while on-duty, and not like pyjamas. (Though that last statement can be said of everything from ST2 to ST6. It would have been nice if they'd kept those snappy red uniforms for TNG instead of going back to the polyester pyjamas.)

Anyway, enough of me rambling about my favourite pieces of the Star Trek franchise. I'm very happy the show was created, and that it managed to create such a long-lasting niche for itself. Star Trek is partly responsible for me deciding to study robotics at university, and for that alone I owe a small debt of gratitude to Mr Roddenberry's memory.

NightwishFan
September 9th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I never liked trek my whole life until I started watching reruns of it early in the morning before I would go to high school. I became 'neutral' to it and stopped thinking it was just some geek thing.

Well this year in fact I picked some of TNG being a fan of Patrick Stewart, Levar Burton, and Brent Spiner. I found that it was fantastic and certainly to my taste in sci-fi. I ended up watching the whole series and I can say I definitely a fan now. Good times when all hope seems lost, then Picard shows up and you can tell everyone is just like.. "We're saved!". :)

Well after that I decided to watch the 2009 Star Trek movie. I thought it would be very bad considering how flashy and lacking a lot of modern films are however I was most impressed. If anything it was as good as or better than a lot of TNG. There are hints of a sequel as well, if they keep the same cast it will be very good I think.

So yeah, that is a bit of an insight on how I became a Trekkie this year. If any one cares at all my favourite character is Data.

XubuRoxMySox
September 9th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I find other fans everywhere! On a school field trip to a "living history" reenactment of a battle in the War Between the States, I joked about appearing on the battlefield in a Starfleet uniform and going, "Computer end program!" Most of the reenactors laughed their heads off at my silly remark. It would only elicit that response from people who are familiar with Trek (TNG and beyond). They even offered to "assimilate me" into their ranks.

I especially like it when they mess around with time lines, alternate universes, and wild theories they are willing to entertain. All the "what ifs" they explore is just amazing.

forrestcupp
September 9th, 2011, 12:46 PM
*yawn*After that comment, I hope you weren't a positive participant in the My Little Ponies thread. :)

While I definitely would not hesitate to describe myself as a Trekkie, I must admit that I was never much of a fan of the original TV series. It had some gems (City on the Edge of Forever definitely stands out against most of the rest), but the franchise definitely got better with age.
My opinion is that the original was the only good one. The quality definitely got better with technological advances, but I just like the original much better than any of the others.

mister_p_1998
September 9th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Wow I was only nine years old when it was first shown. I love Kirk and the rest of the crew, but must agree TNG was better effects, scripts and acting, and even THAT was pre CGI! Wow!
Steve

mips
September 9th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Wow I was only nine years old when it was first shown. I love Kirk and the rest of the crew, but must agree TNG was better effects, scripts and acting, and even THAT was pre CGI! Wow!
Steve

STNG rulez!

sffvba[e0rt
September 9th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Yawning is... irrelevant. -Locutus Of Borg

You where right... it is so irrelevant it doesn't exist :p