PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity, close/max/min, should I give up?

thedevilsjester
September 8th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I love Ubuntu. When they decided to move the close/max/min buttons to the left side of the window I was disappointed, but I could move them back with little effort so I pushed on.

Unfortunately with the advent of Unity, the option to move the close/max/min buttons to the right side is only partially effective. When the window is in full screen, the buttons move back to the left (and with the newer version, it will be even further left).

I enjoy using Unity, it is my favorite of the modern Desktop Environments, but this behaviour/placement of buttons is (for me) unacceptable and has caused me to switch distros. I keep checking back with new updates to Unity to see if they ever mention an option to move these buttons back, and have not seen any yet.

Should I cut my losses and move on? Is this a fundamental design decision that is not likely to change, or would it be worthwhile to monitor the progress of Unity in hopes that it will allow for this functionality at some point?

mc4man
September 8th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Should I cut my losses and move on?
Yes

PRC09
September 9th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Should I cut my losses and move on?

Yes

Spoken like a true Unity salesman.....

walt.smith1960
September 9th, 2011, 02:35 AM
Gnome-shell+ tweak put the 3 controls -minimize, maximize & close- on the right where they belong.O:)

IWantFroyo
September 9th, 2011, 02:50 AM
The placement of the buttons isn't important. They're on the left because the notification area os on the right, and the devs tried to make the interface look more balanced. Now it's especially important, as the buttons are in the same panel as the notification area.
I still don't know what buttons in the right hand corner would do to the notification are and power button in Unity, but I'm pretty sure it would look ugly.

Edit- In other words, you should just try to get used to it. It only took me a day or so, and it'll be worth it.

thedevilsjester
September 10th, 2011, 05:58 AM
The placement of the buttons isn't important.
I couldn't disagree more. Of all the possible UI changes, moving the buttons is the one thing I cannot tolerate (well moving the scrollbars to the left would be just as bad, *knock on wood*).

Edit- In other words, you should just try to get used to it. It only took me a day or so, and it'll be worth it.
I have used Unity since it was a Netbook only thing and only stopped using it a month or so ago, and I cannot get used to the button placement. To be honest I do not want to "get used to it". I left the "shut up and take it" mentality back with Windows all those years ago. I know as a Linux user, I have a choice in Desktop Environments, a choice I exercised when I switched distros, but I would really like to choose Unity.

I still don't know what buttons in the right hand corner would do to the notification are and power button in Unity, but I'm pretty sure it would look ugly.
Personally I am against sacrificing functionality or efficiency for shiny things. That being said there are other, less evasive solutions, like a (optional) pseudo full screen mode that doesn't remove the title bar from the Window (thus allowing the existing, functioning, placement of buttons to continue and not conflict with the status bar). I know Unity is all about saving screen space, but an option like this for those of us who would gladly use up that little extra space for the buttons, would be great. Am I wrong to hope that the Unity devs will eventually do (something) to alleviate the button issue?