PDA

View Full Version : Lighter software?

Zeta-K
September 8th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I was wondering if anyone has suggestions as to the lightest web browser with good flash capabilities? Also suggestions on some of the lightest gui file browsers (that support file associations)? I mean light as in ram and processor usage. I don't care how much disk space is taken up.

Thanks.

mips
September 8th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Midori?

3Miro
September 8th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Midori?

+1 for Midori. It is the fastest and lightest browser that I know.

Warpnow
September 8th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Chrome is the obvious one.

Dillo is insanely fast but lacks alot of features.

xxnishantxx
September 8th, 2011, 05:34 PM
+1 for google chrome/chromium. just feels really fast

Warpnow
September 8th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Now that I think about it, Opera is really light for its featureset.

3Miro
September 8th, 2011, 06:03 PM

Dillo is insanely fast but lacks alot of features.

If you have enough RAM then Chrome/Chromium is great (I use Chromium myself), however, it can be quite heavy on the RAM.

TeoBigusGeekus
September 8th, 2011, 06:31 PM
See this (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lightweight_Applications).

speedwell68
September 8th, 2011, 09:53 PM
midori?

+1 for midori. It is the fastest and lightest browser that i know.

+2

Jesus_Valdez
September 8th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Mi do ri

!!!!

ilovelinux33467
September 8th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Midori and rekonq

MG&TL
September 8th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Opera actually looks good and has some features...if it wasn't for flash, I'd have said Lynx :D

IWantFroyo
September 8th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Midori?

Huge +1. I personally love Midori.
Backup web browser: links (;)).

NightwishFan
September 8th, 2011, 11:56 PM
In order of my preference.
Web Browsers: Seamonkey, Epiphany, Midori, elinks (cli)
File Managers: Thunar, Rox Filer, PCManFM

Copper Bezel
September 9th, 2011, 12:32 AM
PCManfm is really an amazingly fast and light file manager for its feature set. I don't use it, preferring a mix of Nautilus and Thunar, but PCManFM blows both of them out of the water for speed, and it really does include all the features a basic file manager needs. (Just no custom actions, bleh.)

aeronutt
September 9th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Are Midori and others as secure (or more secure?) than Firefox and Chrome?

MG&TL
September 9th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Partially, I think, that's why you 'pay' in CPU.

If this was a windows forum, I'd approach a less secure browser with caution, but it's linux, and while it's not immune to viruses/malware, I wouldn't have said the risk was anything to worry about.

el_koraco
September 9th, 2011, 01:38 AM
PCManfm is really an amazingly fast and light file manager for its feature set. I don't use it, preferring a mix of Nautilus and Thunar, but PCManFM blows both of them out of the water for speed, and it really does include all the features a basic file manager needs. (Just no custom actions, bleh.)

If you add the thunar daemon to your autostart file/script/settings, it's faster than pcman.

Copper Bezel
September 9th, 2011, 02:12 AM
Really? Cool. I'll have to do that.

Edit: Ooh, that is fast.

doorknob60
September 9th, 2011, 06:44 AM
For the "full featured" web browsers, I'd say Opera and Midori are probably some of the most light. I have an ancient 400 mhz laptop, and Opera is my browser of choice on it, it's much faster than Firefox, and Chrome is nearly unusable on it (Chrome is surprisingly slow on older computers). (It might be faster than Midori too, I don't remember, haven't used that comp in a long time)

For file managers, PcmanFM is light, but I find it to be buggy sometimes, so I use Thunar and I recommend that, it's still quite light.

BrokenKingpin
September 9th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Does Midori support bookmark syncing... that is the one thing keeping me on Chromium.

As for file managers Thunar or PCManFM. Thunar is nicer looking, but PCManFM supports tabs.

Jesus_Valdez
September 9th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Does Midori support bookmark syncing... that is the one thing keeping me on Chromium.

As for file managers Thunar or PCManFM. Thunar is nicer looking, but PCManFM supports tabs.
What do you mean with bookmark syncing? Like sync your bookmarks among different PC's or to export-import them?

mips
September 9th, 2011, 04:25 PM

How is chrome/chromium lightweight? The latest install from debian testing eats about 700MB of my ram!

I love chrome & it's my default browser but for the love of god lets be objective here.

Lucradia
September 9th, 2011, 04:38 PM

In Ubuntu though, PCManFM doesn't support desktop. (You need PCManFM2.) However, Debian back a version and a half had desktop support in PCManFM, but no longer.

Also, +1 for Midori.

BrokenKingpin
September 9th, 2011, 05:06 PM
What do you mean with bookmark syncing? Like sync your bookmarks among different PC's or to export-import them?
syncing between PCs. Currently with Chromium/Chrome you can sync all your browser data with you gmail account, so any new machine you setup you just have to put in your credentials and it will download all your bookmarks, etc.

Lucradia
September 9th, 2011, 05:16 PM
syncing between PCs. Currently with Chromium/Chrome you can sync all your browser data with you gmail account, so any new machine you setup you just have to put in your credentials and it will download all your bookmarks, etc.

You know, you could just use .url extension, since a lot of browsers accept that now.

BrokenKingpin
September 9th, 2011, 05:40 PM
You know, you could just use .url extension, since a lot of browsers accept that now.
Could you explain a bit further?

galacticaboy
September 9th, 2011, 05:47 PM
As for light browsers, I find that Midori is super light, but is terrible, it froze and crashed every 5 seconds with me. Chrome/Chromium is uber fast, but the browser is huge. Dillo is great, but as someone already said, it lacks pretty much every feature. Elinks is a good and fast browser, but it is text based. There are many good browsers out there. They all have their ups and downs, but if you are just looking for a small lightweight browser, than +1 for Midori.

Lucradia
September 9th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Could you explain a bit further?

Like with Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer... Firefox can use them too.

Jesus_Valdez
September 9th, 2011, 08:41 PM
As for light browsers, I find that Midori is super light, but is terrible, it froze and crashed every 5 seconds with me. Chrome/Chromium is uber fast, but the browser is huge. Dillo is great, but as someone already said, it lacks pretty much every feature. Elinks is a good and fast browser, but it is text based. There are many good browsers out there. They all have their ups and downs, but if you are just looking for a small lightweight browser, than +1 for Midori.
Midori hasn't crash on me every 5 minutes for a while.

Are you sure you are running the latest version?

KiraLexi
September 9th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I'm quite a fan of Arora.