PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless Issue with Windows 7 Inspiron 1521

hirenpathak
September 8th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I have seen other threads about this issue and tried different options but looks like my Inspiron 1521 is having wireless problems with Ubuntu 11.04. I don't see wireless settings under my networking.

I used to have Windows Vista but then upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit. Just two days ago, I installed Ubuntu as dual boot.

Can someone please help me?

Thank you.

hirenpathak
September 8th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I tried the Broadcom STA Wireless driver but it doesn't work.

howefield
September 8th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Are you able to connect wired ?

If so, update your sources and try Dash > Additional drivers to check for proprietary drivers for your wireless card.

There are a few threads regarding that machine and wireless in the forum that you might like to search for, most seem to be resolved.

hirenpathak
September 8th, 2011, 01:11 PM
yeah I tried the addtional Driver path. It brings me to the screen that says Broadcom STA proprietary driver and I activated the driver but still no luck. I looked through other threads that had similar problem and tried the base43 (or something similar) on my machine but no luck. It showed the "wireless network" menu items but they were disabled and said "firmware missing for wireless"

hirenpathak
September 8th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I was able to get it to work now. Thanks to the good man BertN45 who mentioned this in another thread.
I deactivated the STA drivers and I and using the B43 drivers from the synaptic package manager. I have installed the "firmware-b43-installer" and the "b43-fwcutter". It works very reliable and I have absolutely no complaints.