PDA

View Full Version : 2nd year of college.....

jakejw93
September 8th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Sooo on the 12th I go back to college, an IT course so sort of relevant to this site and I must say my 2 biggest weaknesses are C++ programming and networking. Like 90% of the course is networking and to be honest I find it difficult..

So has anyone got any advice or maybe a good article focused on C++ programming or networking, I go back in 4 days so any help would be much appreciated..

3Miro
September 8th, 2011, 03:17 PM
The best way to learn a programming language is to practice. For C++ in particular, you can learn a toolkit (GTK or QT or even SDL) and then make your own small game. You can make Tetris or Solitare or Blackjack something else that is simple like that.

You can probably start by making Blackjack for the CLI, it should be simple enough.

Phrea
September 8th, 2011, 04:39 PM
The best way to learn a programming language is to practice. For C++ in particular, you can learn a toolkit (GTK or QT or even SDL) and then make your own small game. You can make Tetris or Solitare or Blackjack something else that is simple like that.

You can probably start by making Blackjack for the CLI, it should be simple enough.

I'm voting for a terminal based 8bit arcade game !

KUU
September 8th, 2011, 04:44 PM
It takes months/years to learn a language, not 1 article.

mips
September 8th, 2011, 05:08 PM
So has anyone got any advice or maybe a good article focused on C++ programming or networking...

Got a link to the networking courses? Just wanna see what it entails before I open my mouth.

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 9th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I have learned several programming languages. The thing that helped me the most was to find something I needed; then, write a program that would accomplish what I needed. Reading textbooks or articles never gave me the knowledge or experience that I gained by writing something that was of benefit to me personally.

Maybe something similar can apply to networks. I have a home network with DNS set up and LADP, etc. I can set up DMZ on my LAN, port forwarding, etc. How do I know how? I had a reason to do it that satisfied something I needed to accomplish.

Maybe you can find a personal reason to accomplish something, then use that as motivation to help yourself learn how to do it.

The courses I enjoyed were the ones where I learned something that was useful to me, and not those where I just wanted a passing grade. I looked for was to make them seem that they were all useful to me in order to benefit as much as possible from the expense of the education I was perusing.

jakejw93
September 10th, 2011, 09:01 PM
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/index.html

My course is mainly based on Cisco...not sure if you can read much without having a log in though!