PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newer comp to old comp

PaintedStallions
September 8th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Here is the deal! I was given an older computer "Dell with an Optiplex gx240". It only has 512 megs of ram and the latest windows it will take is 98. It has an ethernet card but isn't recognized by 98. I have newer stuff such as a Belkin N wireless adapter. The problem I am having is, is that 98 doesn't seem to recognize newer software. Evertime I put software in the cd drive, I get this D drive isn't ready!I tried to download service packs 1 and 2, ubuntu, etc from my newer computer on disc's and get that message again when I try to install anything newer. Anu ideas on what I should do? I am trying to fix this computer for my 10 tear old daughter. Thanx! Montana

saltmarshlamb
September 8th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I'd install something like lubuntu or xubuntu.

But if you want help with installing microsoft then perhaps a MS forum would be more suitable.

2F4U
September 8th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Windows 98 is out of support since 2006 and that is the reason why you can't run newer software.

mörgæs
September 8th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Yes, try a live boot of Lubuntu and see how this goes. A Windows 98 installation is likely to be virus infected and should not be used.

PaintedStallions
September 8th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I take it that a live boot is via internet. If I download Lubuntu onto a disk on my newer laptop then try to install it on my old computer, it won't install! Is everything .iso files?

mörgæs
September 8th, 2011, 11:23 AM
A live boot is from a CD (or USB on newer computers). The computer does not have to be connected to the net - unlike when you do the actual install.

The live Lubuntu is for testing and does not change anything on the hard drive. After this you can decide what to do.

Here is how to create the Lubuntu CD:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto