PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install problem

DMGrier
September 8th, 2011, 06:21 AM
My wife has a Sony Vaio, when we install Ubuntu it install's and at the end of the install it does it's reboot nd everything is fine but once it reboots it just has a blinking line in the left corner and nothing happens. It is set to boot from HDD but we cannot figure this out, any ideas?

bloodorange
September 8th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Which version of Ubuntu did you install?

DMGrier
September 8th, 2011, 04:01 PM
we tried 11.04, 10.10 and 10.04, the wierd thing is me and my wife both have Vaio's with similar hardware and the only real difference in hardware I see is she has a bluray player and I don't. Does the bluray disc drive cause problems when it is installing?

Hakunka-Matata
September 8th, 2011, 04:36 PM
e: Blinking cursor after install Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpvrr http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9308874#post9308874)
I'm double checking by reinstalling now - (I had put Mandriva on just to use it) but I don't recall seeing GRUB come up either.....

In single boot systems (when not dual booting with another OS) the boot menu doesn't show up to speed up booting because there is no other OS to select.

In this case, for 10.04 and Grub2 press (or start hitting Shift) after the BIOS POST finishes, at the start of booting. That will make a grub menu show.

Hakunka-Matata
September 8th, 2011, 04:39 PM
It sounds like a graphics issue, it happens many, many times on first boot after install. The LiveCD/USB installer graphics work fine, but once you have installed the system, and reboot it, it will display only the blinking cursor.

There are a million threads on this problem, search right here in these forums on "nomodeset", and - or "blinking cursor", you'll get lots of hits, and ideas.

A couple of ideas to try:

Hit enter as soon as the blinking cursor appears
Hit down arrow key once, then Enter as soon as blinking cursor appears
Hit F6