PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My whole desktop environment has stopped functioning...

underage17
September 8th, 2011, 05:40 AM
EDIT: Never mind, I got it to work

I was messing with the Desktop Cube thing in CCSM today and when I applied it, it said something like the ubuntu unity plugin needed to be disabled or something like that, so i clicked Disable and ALL the check marks on CCSM got unchecked

so i went to preferences and changed the unity profile to default and then I closed it but now when I open ubuntu, nothing loads up. There are no panels or anything. Just my desktop background.

How do I solve this? I don't even know how to open CCSM after I log in :(
I'm using ubuntu 11.04

P.S. Iam able to log in through different sessions (like ubuntu classis) but nothing loads in the "ubuntu" session

edit - so alt + f2 doesn't bring up a run dialog either. "super + s" doesn't do anything!

is there a system restore thing in ubuntu (like the one in windows?)

mikewhatever
September 8th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Hit ctrl+alt+f1, login, run 'unity --reset' without the quotes. Then, hit ctrl+alt+f7 to return to the GUI login screen.

underage17
September 8th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Hit ctrl+alt+f1, login, run 'unity --reset' without the quotes. Then, hit ctrl+alt+f7 to return to the GUI login screen.

thanks!

on a side note, do you know how to set up a short cut to log out? the one in the keyboard shortcut menu allows you to shutdown/restart but not logout..