PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Headless Ubuntu PC

yourgrim666
September 7th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I'm trying to configure my system to run headless and access the desktop via VNC when necessary. It seems everytime I unplug the monitor while ubuntu is running, the system freezes and I am forced to do a hard shut down. If I start the computer up without a monitor it won't boot up all the way and I am still unable to access the desktop through VNC. I am able to VNC to it while there is a monitor attached to it. Automatic login is enabled. I want to VNC into my ubuntu machine without a monitor.

Basher101
September 7th, 2011, 11:09 PM
i guess a normal desktop version will keep giving you bugs...if only VNC is what you want, try setting up a server. Usually servers run without any graphical output, so that issue should not be a problem. You can still install a Desktop Environment to use it like a normal system..

p.s. i can't help you anymore since its midnight here and i gotta get up early for school...good luck

yourgrim666
September 8th, 2011, 12:29 AM
I appreciate your reply but after signing up and searching around the forum for a few hours, I found a solution that worked for me. I am now able to run my Ubuntu 11.04 machine without a monitor/keyboard/mouse. I simply ran this command in the terminal:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

And rebooted. I can now VNC into that machine. Thanks.

MG2R
September 8th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Glad you found a sloution! :)

Please remember to mark the post SOLVED using the 'thread tools' at the top of the page. Thanks!