PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] repairing a Damaged system via seccond distro/live disc

Fenderian_Mayhew
September 7th, 2011, 10:39 PM
recently I updated to ubuntu 11.04. i will save my judgements ,however i decided to install an alternate desktop system. I installed gnome3, found it to be cumbersome, and uninstalled it. upon reboot I was unable to log in because unity and gnome classic had both been damaged beyond use.

Lucky I had installed ubuntu 10.10 on a extra partition so i decided to use that partition like a live disc

replace "drive-number-or-name" with the name or number of the drive to be fixed you can use ctrl-L to show the location in nautilus

once logged in I set-up a chroot to the root of my damaged system (directions are in the appropriate order, I did things different because I didn't know what was needed.)

mount -t proc proc /proc
mount -t devtmpfs none /dev
chroot /media/drive-number-or-name/ and transferred network connectivity to it

cp /etc/resolv.conf /media/drive-number-or-name/etc/resolv.confI than did my updates,

sudo apt-get remove libgtk-3-common
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktopclosed my chroot terminal
and unmounted the previous mounts

umount /proc
umount /devthe process took roughly 2 hours because i had to dig through the web for info so i hope my post will save some people a few hours.

peace and good computing to all

Fen Mayhew