PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Folders wont open on click

overtone
September 7th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Ok so I've probably shot myself in the foot with this one.

A while back a program popped up on my machine although I cant remember which one asking me how I wanted to handle this type of file. It was a folder so i thought it odd that It couldn't determine how to open it.

I wasn't sure what the default file manager was in Ubuntu so i done some sloothing. After a while i decided to try gnome-open and it worked.

Of course there was a remember this button that i decided to tick after having to type gnome-open a couple of times and now heres the kicker. It update the system configuration and I cannot open any folders with this.

I cant get into them from places or even if I'm in a program like Firefox and try to open the downloads containing folder.

So the 2 questions:

1. Is gnome-open the right way to go or should i have used nautilus or others.
2. how do i get into the system configuration and change this back?!

Zeta-K
September 7th, 2011, 10:01 PM
gnome-open is intended for command line opening of a file. It opens the file with an associated program. I don't know how it handles filetypes associated with itself, but you probably should have opened it with nautilus. Any idea why it asked you to associate folders in the first place?

Frogs Hair
September 8th, 2011, 01:52 AM
If there is more than one application able to open a specific file you may get a dialog box with a question . You can select an application to open a file or folder by right clicking the file > open with other application . Choose the application from the menu and check remember this application.

overtone
September 8th, 2011, 02:59 PM
If there is more than one application able to open a specific file you may get a dialog box with a question . You can select an application to open a file or folder by right clicking the file > open with other application . Choose the application from the menu and check remember this application.

This works however i don't have the remember command. Quite strange.