PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] default desktop environment

jopeto
September 7th, 2011, 06:33 PM
When I log onto Ubuntu, gdm always remembers my last desktop environment under sessions. Is there any way to make a specific desktop environment default, no matter which one I've used the last time?

For example, I like using FVWM, however other people using the same computer freak out whenever they see something different from Gnome (and I've set up the computer in such a way that it doesn't need a password, so it automatically bypasses the gdm login screen on start up). Is there a way to make Gnome always default on start-up no matter whether I've used FVWM in my previous session?

Thanks in advance.

raja.genupula
September 7th, 2011, 06:37 PM
system settings --> login screen
there you can choose what ever the session you always want i mean as default .

all the best .

jopeto
September 7th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Hi raja,

Thanks a lot for your reply. However that doesn't really seem to work. Even if I have Gnome selected, after I log onto FVWM and restart, I get back into FVWM...

raja.genupula
September 7th, 2011, 07:36 PM
ok you said as last session ....
ok try this , after selecting a different session is it asking for save session for next login or anything else .(in fedora we have some thing like this )

gldvorak
September 7th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Goto Systen Settings; Startup & Shutdown; Session Management; On Login -- select Manually saved session. But, I have never manually saved a session, so I cannot help you there.

Krytarik
September 7th, 2011, 10:30 PM
GDM relies on the file "/var/cache/gdm/USERNAME/dmrc" to set the login options, always. Eventually, upon logging you in, it updates the - similar - file "~/.dmrc" in your home directory, and then updates its copy with it, therefore copying it.

But it can't do this if you remove the write permission from its file, thus leaving the session settings stored within it untouched until you re-enable the write permission again, or modify it via root access.

So, what you need to do is log in to your desired default session, and then remove the write permission with a command like this:

chmod 444 /var/cache/gdm/USERNAME/dmrcTo re-enable the write permission again, run a command like this:

chmod 644 /var/cache/gdm/USERNAME/dmrcOf course, you can also do this through the right-click menu of Nautilus if you like.

Greetings.

jopeto
September 8th, 2011, 12:56 PM
raja - no, in ubuntu I guess it doesn't ask you to save the last session.
gldvorak - I didn't try your solution, but maybe it would work.
Krytarik - that did the trick! I was trying to find a solution for it for several days!

Thanks a lot to everyone who helped out!