PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Ubuntu

MARP1961
September 7th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Are any of you running a really out of date version of Ubuntu? Let us know what version you are stuck with and what has stopped you updating.

dniMretsaM
September 7th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I think by "out of date" he means an unsupported version. So anything other than 10.04, 10.10, 11.04, or 11.10. Anyway, I'm on 11.04.

_d_
September 7th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I'm one of those that likes to have the very latest, so am running 11.04 on dualboot. :P

I do know someone who is still using Warty (4.10).

kaldor
September 7th, 2011, 09:55 PM
If not for the problems with PPAs and compatibility, I'd still be on Hardy.

DangerOnTheRanger
September 7th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I have Jaunty on one of my PCs.

IWantFroyo
September 7th, 2011, 10:20 PM
At one point in time, I installed every Ubuntu there was in VirtualBox. Sadly, the system I did that on was replaced at some point.

aura7
September 7th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I had a Ubuntu 6.x version installed on a very old laptop mainly because it works on very less ram too.

David Andersson
September 7th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Xubuntu 9.10 (karmic) on an Eeepc.

Why? Not that old, works reasonably well, want to check some performance issues before upgrading, or just lazy. (Turned off Automatic Update so it won't nag me about not being supported anymore.)

Erik1984
September 7th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Xubuntu 7.10 on an old Pentium III however I hardly use that machine. Why Gutsy Gibbon? It has out of the box wireless support (desktop where I put a pci-wireless card in) AND via the restricted drivers I get the proprietary Nvidia drivers for the TNT2 (not in the repos of 10.04 for example).

MG&TL
September 8th, 2011, 12:13 AM
I did try and find the earliest release of Ubuntu once, I think it was 4.10 or something, and it was PRETTY DAMN COOL. And the human thing it had going on, was kinda earthy, and, well, human.

Porcini M.
September 8th, 2011, 12:31 AM
... And the human thing it had going on, was kinda earthy, and, well, human.

+1 I liked that as well.

Frogs Hair
September 8th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I had 9.10 for a couple of months before 10.04 came out . I have a fond memory of it because it was my first Ubuntu/Linux . I really liked earth tones and it was a real departure from my Windows experience . I stick to the 6 month release cycle like a junkie . 11.10 will be may 5th Ubuntu release .

BeRoot ReBoot
September 8th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Some of the servers at work are running 8.04 server edition, but that's still supported.

We're still using it because the servers were basically strapped together from old PC parts, the whole system was heavily customised to run the services we need, the old IT staff left, and the new guys are afraid of changing anything because there is zero documentation.

NCLI
September 8th, 2011, 02:29 AM
Some of the servers at work are running 8.04 server edition, but that's still supported.

We're still using it because the servers were basically strapped together from old PC parts, the whole system was heavily customised to run the services we need, the old IT staff left, and the new guys are afraid of changing anything because there is zero documentation.

Take a backup of the entire system, schedule downtime, then follow the official guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades#Network_Upgrade_for_Ubuntu_Servers_. 28Recommended.29-1).

If it crashes and burns, restore the backup, and contact Canonical to get some help.

cariboo
September 8th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Take a backup of the entire system, schedule downtime, then follow the official guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades#Network_Upgrade_for_Ubuntu_Servers_. 28Recommended.29-1).

If it crashes and burns, restore the backup, and contact Canonical to get some help.

Why update, 8.04 server is supported until 2013. If they aren't broke, why fix them. :)

Khakilang
September 8th, 2011, 05:18 AM
I still have the 8.10 CD which come in handy with older computer. I will normally upgrade to the latest if there is some software or feature I need if not I will stick with it until the end of life.

spcwingo
September 8th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I still have Warty loaded in QEMU just for the sake of nostalgia. :)

BrokenKingpin
September 8th, 2011, 06:36 PM
11.04 here... I always feel the need to be on the latest. I really do need to find a rolling release distro I like... reloading my systems every 6 months is a pain in the ***.

ninjaaron
September 8th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I'm still back on good old 11.04 for now. At this time six months ago, I was already booting 11.04 full-time on all machines, but that's because I'm all hot and bothered for Unity. Now that I have it in a stable environment, I don't feel the same need for compulsive beta testing that I did then.

11.04 here... I always feel the need to be on the latest. I really do need to find a rolling release distro I like... reloading my systems every 6 months is a pain in the ***.

I end up messing with my system until it breaks... like, pretty often. There are two tricks to speeding up a fresh install: put your home folder on a separate partition (there is a lot more to say about this, but perhaps another time. I'm kinda drunk), and the next time you install, keep a text file open, and keep track of what you do as you are setting it up. You can use this information to speed it up the next time. If you've got the minerals, you can use it to write a script that will automate the post-install setup while you go get a coffee.

rolnics
September 8th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Still got the desktop version of Hardy on this very pc I'm replying on, may get rid of 10.04, if I can't get this annoying issue fixed, but that's in my other thread.

I'm sure somewhere I might have 6.10 as I know I first started on that and it was on a cd-r, but I don't have a clue where it could be done, after moving! lol

DrHackenbush
September 8th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Just wiped out an 8.x installation last night in favor of 11.04. I had been reluctant to upgrade because 1. my wife and daughter had craploads of pics/vids and I didn't want to fool with them (now burned off to many DVDs) and because 2. the one game I still play off and on is NWN and it was a pain in the butt to set that up in the first place.

Looks like it's going to continue to be a pain - NWN isn't working at the moment.

Oh well, 11.04 is kind of neat and seems to perform better overall.

Dragonbite
September 8th, 2011, 08:27 PM
My oldest currently running is 10.04, but somewhere I still have a Breezy Badger CD from ShipIt! (the one that got me into Ubuntu in the first place!)

snip3r8
September 8th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I have Karmic on an old laptop

CharlesA
September 8th, 2011, 09:06 PM
10.04 is the earliest one I am running and that's on my server.

MG&TL
September 8th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Is there an archive with ubuntu pre-releases in? I'm curious...

IWantFroyo
September 8th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Is there an archive with ubuntu pre-releases in? I'm curious...

For unsupported releases:
http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/

For supported releases (that aren't on Ubuntu.com):
http://releases.ubuntu.com/

MG&TL
September 8th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I meant the development releases before the official ones started.

CharlesA
September 8th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I meant the development releases before the official ones started.
Not sure where they would be, but you can check the dev forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=403).

IWantFroyo
September 8th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Not sure where they would be, but you can check the dev forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=403).

I thought that one only had Oneiric images. You could try a Google search for the old Natty dev thread, though...

Found Natty Alpha images at:
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/natty/alpha1 (2 and 3 also work)

Maverick at:
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/maverick/alpha1 (same with the 2 and 3)

The Lucid pages seem to have been erased, although they left quite a trace on Google.

MG&TL
September 8th, 2011, 10:48 PM
like ubuntu 0.0.x, is what I meant.

IWantFroyo
September 8th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I think the only ones with the third number are the LTS releases (Ubuntu 10.04.3). That also means that the image was completely updated, and has nothing to do with testing.

MG&TL
September 8th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Okay, ubuntu 1.04 alpha aardvark. Where did that go?

SoFl W
September 8th, 2011, 11:04 PM
I did try and find the earliest release of Ubuntu once, I think it was 4.10 or something, and it was PRETTY DAMN COOL. And the human thing it had going on, was kinda earthy, and, well, human.

+1 I liked that as well.

I know the theme was available in the package manager, at least for 10.4, I use it.

IWantFroyo
September 8th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Okay, ubuntu 1.04 alpha aardvark. Where did that go?

Earliest release was 4.10.

I'm assuming you were joking, but I posted anyways.

If you want to know why the naming process started with a 'w', go here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames

MG&TL
September 8th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Like any OS, there must have been 'internal' releases that weren't presented to the outside world, before they unveiled the OS. I was just wondering if these were available.

I know about the naming system, I was just trying to make a point. :)

CharlesA
September 8th, 2011, 11:36 PM
As far as I know, the first release was 4.10.

MG&TL
September 8th, 2011, 11:42 PM
According to wikipedia, the first *official* release was 4.10. I was wondering what happened before that. But hey, I'll lay off. 2004 is along way off.

as2000
September 9th, 2011, 05:10 AM
I have my ever so abused garage computer running 8.04. It is abused as it sees daily ambient temperatures of 120-125 degrees and still keeps on trucking. It quietly crunches numbers for WCG and plays music whenever I tinker. No need to fix something that ain't broke...

BlacqWolf
September 9th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I have Warty on a 16-year-old PC I don't use any more :P