PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone missing a mouse?

YesWeCan
September 7th, 2011, 03:39 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-14818842

3Miro
September 7th, 2011, 04:37 PM
A mouse on a plane is a risk, apart from the possibility of disease rodents tend to chew on cables. You cut one cable on the plane and the plane goes down.

I just don't understand why passengers are not simply put on another plane, if this has been going on for so long.

YesWeCan
September 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I think it is very amusing. I suspect it is one of those cases where they completely underestimated how long it would take to find a mouse on an airliner. Who can blame them...just how hard can it be? :P

haqking
September 7th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I think it is very amusing. I suspect it is one of those cases where they completely underestimated how long it would take to find a mouse on an airliner. Who can blame them...just how hard can it be? :P

it is hong kong, the mouse is probably hiding and trying to leave to stop from being put on a stick and served as a snack in an ariport alleyway ;-)

YesWeCan
September 7th, 2011, 04:58 PM
it is hong kong, the mouse is probably hiding and trying to leave to stop from being put on a stick and served as a snack in an ariport alleyway ;-)
How derogatory. Have you been to HK recently? They have a brand new, swanky and well-managed airport and I think we should respect their security and hygiene rules. I very much doubt that any food is served in "alleyways" no matter how delicious. :P

Lucradia
September 7th, 2011, 04:59 PM
mouse on a plane

Mice on a plane! Should be a movie, man.

haqking
September 7th, 2011, 05:02 PM
How derogatory. Have you been to HK recently? They have a brand new, swanky and well-managed airport and I think we should respect their security and hygiene rules. I very much doubt that any food is served in "alleyways" no matter how delicious.

LOL wasnt meant as derogatory, i have good friends from HK.

it was a joke, hardly derogatory, they serve alot of animals on sticks in HK and some are very tasty.

YesWeCan
September 7th, 2011, 05:06 PM
LOL wasnt meant as derogatory, i have good friends from HK.

it was a joke, hardly derogatory, they serve alot of animals on sticks in HK and some are very tasty.
Oops, my reply was too dry! I've added a :P
Your post was very obviously a joke :) unlike mine :(

I was pretending to deliberately misunderstand you by assuming you were commenting on airport management standards rather than local eating habits.

haqking
September 7th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Oops, my reply was too dry! I've added a :P
Your post was very obviously a joke :) unlike mine :(

I was pretending to deliberately misunderstand you by assuming you were commenting on airport management standards rather than local eating habits.

ha ha emoticons are key ;-)

I was awaiting an incoming infraction for a minute...LOL

cheers

SoFl W
September 7th, 2011, 05:23 PM
A mouse on a plane is a risk, apart from the possibility of disease rodents tend to chew on cables. You cut one cable on the plane and the plane goes down.
From my understanding if one cables gets cut the plane explodes mid-air and a chain reaction takes place causing other planes to explode all over the world. ALL FROM ONE CABLE.

I just don't understand why passengers are not simply put on another plane, if this has been going on for so long.
Most airlines don't have extra planes at every airport.

YesWeCan
September 7th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I don't know about the 757. Has it got real steel cables between cockpit and flaps or does it have SATA-1 cables like the Airbuses?

YesWeCan
September 7th, 2011, 05:34 PM

The Nepal Airlines fleet includes the following aircraft (as of 4 March 2011):[8]
Nepal Airlines fleet
Aircraft In Fleet Orders Options Passengers J Y Total
Boeing 757-200 2 0 0 16 174 190
de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter 5 0 0 0 19 19
Xian MA60 0 2 0 0 60 60
Total 7 2 0

haqking
September 7th, 2011, 05:36 PM

The Nepal Airlines fleet includes the following aircraft (as of 4 March 2011):[8]
Nepal Airlines fleet
Aircraft In Fleet Orders Options Passengers Mice J Y Total
Boeing 757-200 2 0 0 16 174 190
de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter 5 0 0 0 1 19 19
Xian MA60 0 2 0 0 60 60
Total 7 2 0

corrected it for you ;-)

YesWeCan
September 7th, 2011, 05:37 PM
lmao

forrestcupp
September 7th, 2011, 05:40 PM
What they didn't tell you is that it was an R.O.U.S.

http://www.themarysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/ROUS.jpg

3Miro
September 7th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I know they don't just keep a plane "ready", but they should be able to get one there (or get one from another company). It would look much cheaper than to keep the people in a hotel for so long.

Modern airplanes are hardly controlled by the pilots, everything is mostly controlled by the computer. Damage the computer (even with one chewed cable) and the plane can no longer function. I wouldn't think it would affect other planes and I don't think there would be a gigantic fire explosion, but the plane would most certainly fall.

forrestcupp
September 7th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I know they don't just keep a plane "ready", but they should be able to get one there (or get one from another company). It would look much cheaper than to keep the people in a hotel for so long.
My brother got to his layover last night to find that his next plane was overbooked. For him to wait until today, they gave him a free room, meal voucher, and $400 of travel credit. Crazy.

My question is how do they overbook flights?

YesWeCan
September 7th, 2011, 06:02 PM
My brother got to his layover last night to find that his next plane was overbooked. For him to wait until today, they gave him a free room, meal voucher, and $400 of travel credit. Crazy.

How much do you think they should offer the mouse to take another flight?

haqking
September 7th, 2011, 06:08 PM
How much do you think they should offer the mouse to take another flight?

I knew one day the Snakes on a Plane (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t6zNZ-b0A) would come in useful, they eat mice ? ;-)

3Miro
September 7th, 2011, 06:30 PM

Its a statistical thing. They can estimate that on average X number people miss their flights and if they miss their flight, they don't get refunds. The company keeps the money, but they can also sell the seat to someone else. However, it is hard to sell the seat at the last moment, that is why last minute tickets can be very cheap.

A better solution for the company is to sell more tickets than there are seats in the plane. If the plane can carry Y passengers, then the company can sell Y + X tickets and the extra X tickets are pure profit. X * Cost of Ticket.

Every now and then they will have extra passengers that they will have to pay back (for Hotel and stuff) and it becomes a balancing problem. So they will have Z number of overbooked passengers and they will have to pay Z * Cost of Travel Credit.

Thus overbooking can give them profit of:

Profit = X * Cost of Ticket - Z * Cost of Travel Credit

Even if Cost of Travel Credit > Cost of Ticket, if X > Z they can still make profit. It is a mater of good statistics to balance how much flights should be overbooked.

Airline companies constantly overbook flights and they don't care if they pay well for people that get to miss their flights. If you don't want to miss your flight, ALWAYS arrive as early as possible.

forrestcupp
September 7th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Its a statistical thing. They can estimate that on average X number people miss their flights and if they miss their flight, they don't get refunds. The company keeps the money, but they can also sell the seat to someone else. However, it is hard to sell the seat at the last moment, that is why last minute tickets can be very cheap.
I know that's what they do, but I think it's pretty crappy. I wish there was a way to convince the masses to all show up in plenty of time and everyone refuse to take a deal to switch flights. That would teach them. :twisted: