PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't boot after upgrade to kernel 2.6.38-11

haw
September 7th, 2011, 02:04 PM
as a title, i can't boot to my ubuntu 11.04 64 bit after i upgrade to newer kernel, i think something error with my grub and i have to reinstall my grub, and nothing happen with my ubuntu
in my laptop, i have ubuntu 11.04, openSUSE 11.2 and Win*** with grub from ubuntu i still can boot to my opensuse and other operating system, if i want to boot my ubuntu, whatever kernel i choice, 2.6.38-11 or 2.6.38-10 i can't boot and grub's say

error : no such disk
error : you need to load the kernel first

note : after i upgrade my ubuntu, i found something abnormal with my grub, the background's back to old version (black and white, not like my first grub in 11.04 with purple background) but in header said version 1.9

thanks for attention and i need your help

dino99
September 7th, 2011, 03:57 PM
sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

haw
September 7th, 2011, 04:11 PM

where i do this command ?
on live cd ?

Hakunka-Matata
September 7th, 2011, 04:34 PM
If you are still having problems, I suggest you download and run the boot_info_script program listed in my signature.

Post the output information file 'RESULTS.txt' that boot_info_script.sh generates.

Open the RESULTS.txt file,
highlight and copy the ENTIRE text of the file,
paste that copied text into a New Reply
highlight the entire text field again,
click on code tags icon # to enclose the text in [ code] paste text here [ /code]

Hakunka-Matata
September 7th, 2011, 04:38 PM
where i do this command ?
on live cd ?

Yes, you can use LiveCD,

Open a Terminal window System>Applications>Terminal
or if using the unity desktop scheme, click on upper most, left hand side, white ubuntu symbol and search for Terminal.

haw
September 8th, 2011, 01:06 PM
i give up, i'll reinstall my ubuntu, i think is the best i can do, but i never stop to know why it's happen to my ubuntu

thanks for Hakunka-Matata and dino99 for helping me

fig_wright
September 18th, 2011, 04:11 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11200815