PDA

View Full Version : Good Legal Music Solution?

mamamia88
September 7th, 2011, 03:53 AM
I want to expand my music collection substantially since i'm only using about 2gb of my 16gb mp3 player and I'm getting tired of same old songs. I don't want to rip cds because it's time consuming and the only working computer I have right now is my netbook. I'm not looking for streaming because I have low data plan and I would rather not waste the battery on my phone. Rhapsody sounds good but I don't want to pay a monthly fee. Amazon sounds great and I use it when I just want one song but I want to get an influx of new music to listen too. Any good solutions that are legal?

Thewhistlingwind
September 7th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Check out some of the free CC music sites. (Netlabels/etc.) You can get some good music that way. As for paid for music, I'm trying to figure that out myself. Anyone who can point me to a site that will sell tracks in lossless formats would help me a great deal.

armageddon08
September 7th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Try http://www.jamendo.com/en/

trollolo
September 7th, 2011, 05:03 AM
grooveshark is an excellent choice. you can upload your own music, and also add songs to your online library from their own servers. only problem is that since it's all browser based, it's a little buggy on debian

ninjaaron
September 7th, 2011, 12:34 PM
It's actually legal to download youtube videos put up by the record company and rip the audio with ffmpeg, so long as you don't distribute either the video or the derived file.

The company is the one distributing the music for free through that medium. It's the same as when people used to record songs off the radio. The company's primary intent was not that you would access the file in that way, but there is no contract, and they have every intent of distributing singles for free. Singles are the bait for the rest of the album.

Frogs Hair
September 7th, 2011, 04:06 PM
As stated above there are many free singles but that usually requires registration on a site . Jamendo is great , but it can take some time to find artists / songs that you like . As for Youtube , there is not general rule for the use of all videos , so checking any user policies is good idea .

Shpongle
September 7th, 2011, 04:28 PM
+1 for grooveshark and jamendo. I hear someone made a java app that allows you to download from grooveshark.

vidwarren
September 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Well, you could always buy music. Forgive me for being obnoxious; I'm sure it's something that you've considered. It's just that it's not something you mentioned at all in your post! If you get something that you actually listen to, it'll be worth more than a meal or all the other disposable stuff that you can spend a tenner on.

Or is it just that you want the music you already own on CD transferred to your mp3 player but don't want to rip? If that's the case, a friend of mine used to own a record shop and was telling me that, when you buy a CD, you buy 'the right to own that song' meaning that you can download it again legally even if you lose the CD. Might be worth looking into, not that anybody will ever check.

Podcasts could be a really good way of expanding what you have for free. If you find some of your favourite record labels' websites, you're bound to find something worthwhile. Ninjatune have a 'ninjacast' here: http://www.ninjatune.net/ninjacast.xml

Ditto with radio stations. BBC Radio Three has a ton of them: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio3

There's loads of great stories and interviews to explore as well if you have the space for it. Try http://themoth.org/

Finally, it's a bit tenuous as it's obviously not the reason that anybody gets into it but, if you play music yourself and perform, other bands give you CDs for free now and again. I've got a nice little collection from this. If you were to sign to a record label, they often send their artists just about everything release if they want it. That's one way that DJs like Mr. Scruff can manage 8 hour sets!

Shpongle
September 7th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Well, you could always buy music. Forgive me for being obnoxious; I'm sure it's something that you've considered. It's just that it's not something you mentioned at all in your post! If you get something that you actually listen to, it'll be worth more than a meal or all the other disposable stuff that you can spend a tenner on.

Or is it just that you want the music you already own on CD transferred to your mp3 player but don't want to rip? If that's the case, a friend of mine used to own a record shop and was telling me that, when you buy a CD, you buy 'the right to own that song' meaning that you can download it again legally even if you lose the CD. Might be worth looking into, not that anybody will ever check.

Podcasts could be a really good way of expanding what you have for free. If you find some of your favourite record labels' websites, you're bound to find something worthwhile. Ninjatune have a 'ninjacast' here: http://www.ninjatune.net/ninjacast.xml

Ditto with radio stations. BBC Radio Three has a ton of them: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio3

There's loads of great stories and interviews to explore as well if you have the space for it. Try http://themoth.org/

Finally, it's a bit tenuous as it's obviously not the reason that anybody gets into it but, if you play music yourself and perform, other bands give you CDs for free now and again. I've got a nice little collection from this. If you were to sign to a record label, they often send their artists just about everything release if they want it. That's one way that DJs like Mr. Scruff can manage 8 hour sets!

+1 for ninjatune.

Henry Flower
September 7th, 2011, 05:54 PM
A couple of points which might help people give you more relevant tips:

- are you looking for mp3s or lossless? Is your data plan so restricted that you can't have the latter?

- why do you need the discovering music and buying music functions together? If that's not essential, you could use any means (forums, last.fm, radio, youtube) to investigate music and then buy the tracks from Amazon.

forrestcupp
September 7th, 2011, 06:17 PM
It's actually legal to download youtube videos put up by the record company and rip the audio with ffmpeg, so long as you don't distribute either the video or the derived file.
Not true. It's against YouTube's Terms of Service to even download the videos at all. The only way you can legally watch the videos is by streaming it.

KUU
September 7th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Soundcloud & Mixcloud.

KUU
September 7th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Not true. It's against YouTube's Terms of Service to even download the videos at all. The only way you can legally watch the videos is by streaming it.

But just by streaming you already have the video on your HDD. is it illegal to one to move the video from dir/temp/ ?

Erik1984
September 7th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Soundcloud & Mixcloud.

Thanks, didn't know about Mixcloud.

forrestcupp
September 7th, 2011, 08:22 PM
But just by streaming you already have the video on your HDD. is it illegal to one to move the video from dir/temp/ ?

If it really caches every HD video I ever watch on YouTube, then my hard drive would be filled up pretty quickly.

mamamia88
September 7th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I do buy music it's just to go from 2gb music to about 16gb music will cost alot of money. i don't buy albums. i don't want to stream music because most of my music listening is while driving or walking. i don't want to stream either because i'm on the 200mb data plan. it would be much better if there was a service like zune pass but that you get to keep the music.

Off Shore
September 7th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Its always best to think before giving advice about any question of legality.
Legal issues are, by definition, a social construct, and can vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
In other words, whats legal in the USA may not be legal in the UK.
Be careful out there chaps

ninjaaron
September 7th, 2011, 11:24 PM
If it really caches every HD video I ever watch on YouTube, then my hard drive would be filled up pretty quickly.

It only caches them temporarily. Hence: "/tmp" Plus, I am streaming the video. I just stream them to my downloads folder, which happens not to clear it's contents on reboot.

forrestcupp
September 8th, 2011, 03:25 PM
It only caches them temporarily. Hence: "/tmp" Plus, I am streaming the video. I just stream them to my downloads folder, which happens not to clear it's contents on reboot.

Wow! And you even have the guts to do that on the Mount of Olives! :)

keithpeter
September 8th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Hello

Live dangerously, expand your horizons...

http://www.gardnermuseum.org/music/listen/music_library

Try

http://traffic.libsyn.com/gardnermuseum/bach_chaconne.mp3

first. Only 6% of your download quota.

MasterNetra
September 9th, 2011, 06:59 AM
While it won't expand your Ipod collection, listu.be is a good place to listen to music. Can't download anything but you can listen to the majority of songs that are out there. You'll have to sign it with your gmail account and setup your playlists by search for the songs in their database but meh its a option.