PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Newer version of Tomcat 5.5 available in 10.04?

Rapport12
September 7th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Hello all,

I've inherited an Ubuntu server that was managed by a previous administrator. It's currently running version 8.04.4 LTS. The current Tomcat version is 5.5.25, which has a handful of vulnerabilities. I'd like to upgrade Tomcat to the latest version (5.5.33), but it would seem that version 5.5.25 is the latest version available in the repository.

If I upgrade the server to Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS, is a newer version of Tomcat available, or do they use the same repository? I understand that I could just download the latest version outside of apt, but I prefer the apt method as it sounds like the easiest.

Thanks so much!
William

mörgæs
September 7th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Hi, welcome to the fora.

I recommend that you download 10.04.3 and try a live boot before doing the upgrade. During the live boot you can open Synaptic and see the version numbers for Tomcat and other packages.

Rapport12
September 7th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Good call! I did that, and it looks like they offer Tomcat 6 in Ubuntu 10.04. I am not quite ready to make the major version leap, so I'll stick around at 8.04 for a while and see if they release an update to Tomcat 5.5.33. Ubuntu 8.04 LTS is still supported so I would expect that eventually they would. Thanks for your help!

mörgæs
September 8th, 2011, 10:42 AM
You are welcome. Please mark the thread 'solved'.