PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Graphic card issue?

layr
September 6th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Not quite sure, but there seems to be kind of an issue with the GPU. Native 3D apps seem to work, tho some programs via Wine or VirtualBox (XP as guest) tend to be problematic.
Almost always it has something to do with OpenGL. For instance, 3D acceleration in VirtualBox enabled, running Sketchup gives error "SketchUp was unable to initialize OpenGL! Please make sure you have installed the correct drivers for your graphics card. Error: ChoosePixelFormat failed"

I'm not trying to get VirtualBox nor Wine support here, just a hint how to make sure whether the GPU is fully recognized and running.

Ubuntu 10.10
Quadro FX 570M
Various nVidia drivers, including the latest.

layr
September 16th, 2011, 10:00 PM
bring the post up

BicyclerBoy
September 17th, 2011, 04:57 AM
glxinfo | grep OpenGL
glxgears

2F4U
September 17th, 2011, 05:44 AM
You probably know that 3D support in Virtualbox is experimental, so I am not surprised that it doesn't work well. The next thing to consider is that Virtualbox "virtualizes" your graphics card too. That means that the Windows inside Virtualbox doesn't know that your card is nVidia Quadro FX 570M with all the capabilities.

layr
September 17th, 2011, 11:34 AM
glxinfo | grep OpenGL
glxgears

laur@laur-HP-Compaq-8510w:~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: Quadro FX 570M/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 280.13
OpenGL shading language version string: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
OpenGL extensions:

glxgears run smoothly.

So the problem has to lay on the emulator and VM software side?

2F4U: okay. I actually thought ticking "3D acceleration" in VBox preferences allowed host to use the GPU directly.
I'll give other VM soft a try.

September 17th, 2011, 06:24 PM
You have to make sure the vbox guest additions are installed (in the guest) to get proper opengl support, or you will just get the vesa/non-accelerated driver.

layr
September 19th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Vbox guest additions are installed.

September 19th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Vbox guest additions are installed.
In XP, look in Device Manager under Dispaly Adapters. The adapter should be listed as VirtualBox Graphics Adapter and the Driver Provider should be Oracle Corp.

layr
September 19th, 2011, 04:12 PM
In XP, look in Device Manager under Dispaly Adapters. The adapter should be listed as VirtualBox Graphics Adapter and the Driver Provider should be Oracle Corp.

So it is.

September 19th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Then the "GPU is fully recognized and running."