PDA

View Full Version : I think Meego was dead before it started.

Syndicalist
September 6th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Meego sounded like an awesome project....A true genuine GNU-Linux OS for mobile devices. Android with its cheesy 99 cent paid apps just doesnt cut it for a lot of us, and the phones are otherwise powerful enough now to run real GNU Linux apps. A phone that could run a debian based OS would blow Android out of the water, even if it was proprietary but could just use the real desktop apps instead of the garbage you see people trying to sell.....Money does NOT necessarily = quality apparently. Here the FREE apps are vastly superior in quality, and we want them, but are denied. Thanks Google. At least you helped with the kernel.

I think the fact that Intel was directing the project was more of a curse than a blessing. Atom chips are garbage compared to Nvidias Tegra ARM technology, especially in mobile devices. Tegra 2 will be suitable for a desktop, and Atom will perform inferior with drastically more battery drain. Meego already looks like a well polished alternative to Android, but its designed for inferior hardware.

If Nvidia was smart they wouldnt put all their eggs in one basket with Android, they would fork the Meego project and give it a better name, and design it to be optimized for their exclusive Tegra chips.

As it stands, I think Intel is backing off on the project because they know that Tegra 2 is going to defeat them in the mobile market, after seeing HP fail, and they realize it has no future except on Arm devices....so making the best possible GNU-Linux that uses the competitors chips is not in their interest anymore now that they hit a bottle neck with Atom.

On the bright side it looks like Motorola is working on a new OS....maybe if people send them suggestions and tell them you would have customer loyalty by jumping on the GNU-Linux bandwagon instead following Google in its lack of compatibility, we could finally see a real future for GNU in the mainstream.

Then again, maybe Ubuntu will fill that gap since they seem to be gearing up for a transition to touch screens....Maybe ubuntu users are testing the next big cell phone/tablet OS.

IMO, E17 with Cairo Dock is a lot better looking than unity.

ninjaaron
September 6th, 2011, 11:29 AM
You reckon?

LowSky
September 6th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Syndicalist Motorola is part of Google now. Also Android is awesome, and Meego isn't dead, Intel, AMD, Novell, and the Linux Foundation all are keeping it alive.

BrokenKingpin
September 6th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Meego isn't dead, Intel, AMD, Novell, and the Linux Foundation all are keeping it alive.
They say that, but I really don't see it going anywhere any time soon. Nokia brought hardware to the table, and without it I just don't see it taking off.

I really do hope it takes off, because I think it has a lot more to offer than Android. Android is more a Java VM than a Linux platform. Meego is more of the traditional desktop Linux stack (Linux kernel, xorg, etc)... basically a Linux distro for your phone.

Dr. C
September 6th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Meego is in your vehicle. http://www.genivi.org/. It is very far from dead.