PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New better laptop. Simply Move HDD across ?

jives11
September 5th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Hi, I've been running Ubuntu 11.04 on a lenovo T61 . The laptop has had the standard HDD swapped with a Seagate Mometus XT 500Gb hybridhard drive. Ubuntu ran very well.

I have just got a new laptop which is a dell latitude 6420.

It occurred to me that I could just remove the dell hard drive, drop in the seagate and it just might work. I did and it did. the dell booted up Ubuntu from the Seagate drive perfectly. Display, sound , wifi all appeared to work.

I did see a slight problem if I shutdown from the top Icon, where it appeared to hang on shutdown on 2 or 3 pips on the screen. A subsequent shutdown -h from the console worked fine.

Anyway - is this an ok way to migrate ? I could reinstall from fresh and copy my files, settings and all the apps I've downloaded. or I could just keep using the drive previously in the Lenovo in the Dell. Are there any adverse issues if I do this i.e to what extent does the install process 'mould' the OS to the specific hardware (like windows does)

mörgæs
September 6th, 2011, 12:24 AM
There is nothing wrong with installing Ubuntu in one computer and using it in another. Only when adding closed-source drivers there could be some difficulties, but it does not seem to be the case for you. Enjoy!