PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] reinstallation: which folders in / can I copy from old installation?

CryptKeeper777
September 5th, 2011, 06:20 PM
For whatever reason, I can suddenly only access my Xubuntu 11.04 via command line (after starting it with SuperGrub2-Disk). Since nobody had a solution for this problem (see here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11220230#post11220230)), I'll now reinstall Xubuntu. Unfortunately I haven't made a full backup yet - first thing to do as soon as it works again. Since I can still access my data, nothing's lost, but I'd like to preserve as many installed programs and configuration stuff as possible. I've already copied my user folder to a USB HD.

Which folders in / can I copy to the external HD and copy back after reinstallation to preserve as much of the old system without messing up the new installation?

PS: I've opened a new thread for this because it doesn't have that much to do anymore with the initial problem, although it's still all the same general problem. But I don't really expect any more answers in the old thread...

MAFoElffen
September 5th, 2011, 09:12 PM
For whatever reason, I can suddenly only access my Xubuntu 11.04 via command line (after starting it with SuperGrub2-Disk). Since nobody had a solution for this problem (see here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11220230#post11220230)), I'll now reinstall Xubuntu. Unfortunately I haven't made a full backup yet - first thing to do as soon as it works again. Since I can still access my data, nothing's lost, but I'd like to preserve as many installed programs and configuration stuff as possible. I've already copied my user folder to a USB HD.

Which folders in / can I copy to the external HD and copy back after reinstallation to preserve as much of the old system without messing up the new installation?

PS: I've opened a new thread for this because it doesn't have that much to do anymore with the initial problem, although it's still all the same general problem. But I don't really expect any more answers in the old thread...
Check your other thread for an answer/question there...

On this one, your home directory... depending on your install and other applications, most of the personal prefrences will be there. Other configuration files... depend individually as per application, but those are global app's and config's. Other "files" you modified, well...

Most of the generic application config's are installed during their installation.

CryptKeeper777
September 5th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Since I was able to solve the initial problem in the old thread, I don't need to do a reinstallation, so this thread has become obsolete...