PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Make DVD Videos Using Tovid: The Video Disc Authoring Suite

Pages : [1] 2

user1397
May 29th, 2006, 05:49 AM
So here are the steps to take if you want to have a dvd movie, that's playable in a home dvd player, and created from a video file on your computer.

Tovid should work on any architecture (x86, x86_64, PPC, etc.) and any desktop environment (Gnome, KDE, Xfce, etc.). This guide assumes that you already have a video file saved on your computer, that you own a dvd burner, and that you have a blank dvd.

Tovid will accept many different types of video formats for your initial video. In fact, whatever formats the programs mplayer and ffmpeg support, tovid supports. There are very few formats it doesn't support, but you'll probably have one of the more common ones, so there's nothing to worry.

Also, please know that for tovid to work optimally, it's recommended to have at least 20GB of free space, so that it can author and encode the video smoothly.

- - - - -

Installation

To install tovid, just search for it in the Software Center, or else type this in a terminal:
sudo apt-get install tovidIf that doesn't work, install from source (http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Installing_tovid).

If you don't see any tovid menu entries under Applications > Sound & Video, refresh the gnome panels:
killall gnome-panel- - - - -

Using the GUI:

Go to Applications > Sound & Video > tovid. If for some reason it doesn't start up correctly, run the command in a terminal to diagnose the cause of the issue:
todiscguiOR

Using the CLI:

You have an avi file named 'foo' in your home directory, and you live in the Eastern Hemisphere (not Japan, they use NTSC), and you have a widescreen TV. You would simply type in a terminal:

tovid -wide -pal -in foo.avi -out foo_encoded The -wide command tells tovid to make it widescreen, the -pal command tells tovid to make it PAL format, the -in file is the original, and the -out is the final product. Simple huh?

Consider the more complicated scenario: You have 3 videos, File1.mpg, File2.mpg, and File3.mpg. You want the menu to have titles Episode 1, Episode 2, and Episode 3. You want the dvd to be called Season_One. Your command would be:

todisc -files File1.mpg File2.mpg File3.mpg \
-titles "Episode 1" "Episode 2" "Episode 3" \
-out Season_One
- - - - -

Once it is finished encoding, you could try to burn the video to a dvd using the burn tab in the GUI, but sometimes it doesn't work, so just minimize tovid (you dont want to close it, just in case if the encoding output is needed for support.) Then open a terminal and paste (this is just an example; replace the italic words accordingly):

makexml -menu Menu.mpg \foo1.mpg foo2.mpg foo3.mpg \
-out MyDiscThat created an xml file, which in this case would be called: MyDisc.xml
Now, you have to burn to a dvd, using this command (again, replacing the italic word with your actual file name):
makedvd -burn MyDisc.xml When it's finished, you'll have a dvd that's playable on your computer and on all (or most) dvd players!

If you wish to make more dvd's using this guide, you'll have to delete the dvd folder that was created, and move any completed files to your completed folder, or delete it if you wish. These should be moved from the encoding directory so that tovid can encode anew with a fresh place, no left-over trash, so that it doesn't run into space problems or errors.

Official tovid website (installation/info/guides): here (http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page).

Official tovid forums (bug reports and general info/help): here (http://www.createphpbb.com/tovid/).

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for anything related to this howto. Be aware of the laws in your country.

boywondr16
May 31st, 2006, 01:35 AM
Erik,

Following your HOWTO to the letter, but I'm getting this when I type the command make:

make: command not found

Paging back up, here's the output I got from ./configure:

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
configure: Checking for required core dependencies...
checking for grep... ok
checking for sed... ok
checking for md5sum... ok
checking for mplayer... ok
checking for mencoder... ok
checking for mplex... ok
checking for mpeg2enc... ok
checking for yuvfps... ok
checking for yuvdenoise... ok
checking for ppmtoy4m... ok
checking for mp2enc... ok
checking for ffmpeg... ok
checking for sox... ok
configure: Checking for optional dependencies...
configure: Checking for ImageMagick...
checking for composite... ok
checking for convert... ok
configure: Checking for dvd tools...
checking for spumux... ok
checking for dvdauthor... ok
checking for growisofs... ok
checking for mkisofs... ok
configure: Checking for vcd tools...
checking for vcdxbuild... ok
checking for cdrdao... ok
configure: Checking for transcode...
checking for tcprobe... ok
checking for tcrequant... ok
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating src/tovid-init.sh
config.status: creating setuplib.py
configure:

From there it gives me the list of dependencies met, etc. Why is the make file not being created? Do I need to run as superuser?

user1397
May 31st, 2006, 02:51 AM
boywondr16, did you install the packages build-essential and checkinstall?

oops! forgot to add that in my howto! i'll edit my howto right now. Pay close attention to step 1

boywondr16
May 31st, 2006, 05:10 PM
boywondr16, did you install the packages build-essential and checkinstall?

<slaps forehead>

Thanks. :oops:

justinflavin
May 31st, 2006, 05:35 PM
excellent guide - i was always wondering how i could do this, but i got lost in page after page of tovid technical and dvd authoring information.

user1397
May 31st, 2006, 07:57 PM
<slaps forehead>

Thanks. :oops:
Your're welcome! ;)

user1397
May 31st, 2006, 07:57 PM
excellent guide - i was always wondering how i could do this, but i got lost in page after page of tovid technical and dvd authoring information. Why thank you! :p

squidward_tentacles
June 1st, 2006, 07:39 PM
Hello, first off great tutorial...really straightforward and easy to follow. However when I attempted to run: tovidgui I recieved the following output:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/tovidgui", line 33, in ?
from libtovid import TDL,Parse, Project
ImportError: No module named libtovid

As I am really new at this, I have no idea what went wrong, I tried removing the parse argument, and still recieved the exact same error message, thinking this was not the problem , I gedited it back in.....I have no idea how to proceed, any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks:D

squidward_tentacles
June 1st, 2006, 07:43 PM
PS I did make sure all the dependancies were installed before begining, and it DOES seem to work w/out the GUI, aka if I enter just "tovid", however as a recent convert from windows, I am a bit bewildered as how to run programs entirely from the command prompt, a GUI interface is highly desired. Well thanks in advance for your help:)

QUASAR_FREAK
June 1st, 2006, 11:32 PM
Hello, first off great tutorial...really straightforward and easy to follow. However when I attempted to run: tovidgui I recieved the following output:

File "/usr/local/bin/tovidgui", line 33, in ?
from libtovid import TDL,Parse, Project
ImportError: No module named libtovid

As I am really new at this, I have no idea what went wrong, I tried removing the parse argument, and still recieved the exact same error message, thinking this was not the problem , I gedited it back in.....I have no idea how to proceed, any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks:D

Same problem here =/

user1397
June 2nd, 2006, 12:21 AM
PS I did make sure all the dependancies were installed before begining, and it DOES seem to work w/out the GUI, aka if I enter just "tovid", however as a recent convert from windows, I am a bit bewildered as how to run programs entirely from the command prompt, a GUI interface is highly desired. Well thanks in advance for your help:)

Same problem here =/
Well to answer both of your questions :p, here's the solution: Instead of just taking out the "Parser" part, delete this entire line from the file "tovidgui":
# Import other tovid modules
from libtovid import TDL, Parser, Project

squidward_tentacles
June 2nd, 2006, 02:08 AM
OK, removing the entire line DID fix the GUI interface =). While waiting for a reply to the last post, I went ahead and ran tovid from the command line, and took the new dvd.mpeg file and sent it through the mkiso process, I have my movie! <yay!> now to write it to disk! /home/DVD...ok, theres 2 files here Audio_TS, and Video_TS, Ill make the assumption that Video_TS is the one we want here, wait..theres also a new entry in the home folder, but not in the DVD folder, that boldy proclaims itself as simply "dvd.iso" properties = raw CD image, 3.1gbs that wasnt mentioned in the tutorial, so ill steer clear of that right now...hmmmm, THAT isnt the one im supossed to write, is it? Staying with my interpertation of the tutorial, Applications, Sound & Video, k3b......new error msg about configuring k3b as root...hmmm, "sudo k3b" <being the gullible Linux newbie that I am> well, "something" happened all right lol, then I recieved the k3b error msg you documented at in the link posted at the very start of this thread, the one about "file size bigger than 2gb", the one where the given solution was to try a different program...again, lol.
Well, ok, theres more than one way to write an .iso in Linux right? Next stop Gnomebaker, result "file too large". OK then, Graveman. Wow, its finally writing!! The end result was a movie of wildly varying video qualities, with an audio track that fades out to silence with loud "pops" at regular intervals and will only play on one of my two DVD players.
um...amy suggestions as to what may have gone wrong/ how I can improve quality, as to make a watchable movie? Please forgive me if I seem a bit frustrated here, during the course of trying to post this reply, Firefox has unexpectadly crashed once, and when I tried to post this a minute ago, I was told I was no longer signed in...start over. Anyway, thanks in advance for your help =) I DO like Ubuntu, I think I may just be having "one of those days" heh, I think ill hold off on the "How to install HP printers" till tommorow, one thing at a time right? ;)

user1397
June 2nd, 2006, 02:19 AM
OK, removing the entire line DID fix the GUI interface =). While waiting for a reply to the last post, I went ahead and ran tovid from the command line, and took the new dvd.mpeg file and sent it through the mkiso process, I have my movie! <yay!> now to write it to disk! /home/DVD...ok, theres 2 files here Audio_TS, and Video_TS, Ill make the assumption that Video_TS is the one we want here, wait..theres also a new entry in the home folder, but not in the DVD folder, that boldy proclaims itself as simply "dvd.iso" properties = raw CD image, 3.1gbs that wasnt mentioned in the tutorial, so ill steer clear of that right now...hmmmm, THAT isnt the one im supossed to write, is it? Staying with my interpertation of the tutorial, Applications, Sound & Video, k3b......new error msg about configuring k3b as root...hmmm, "sudo k3b" <being the gullible Linux newbie that I am> well, "something" happened all right lol, then I recieved the k3b error msg you documented at in the link posted at the very start of this thread, the one about "file size bigger than 2gb", the one where the given solution was to try a different program...again, lol.
Well, ok, theres more than one way to write an .iso in Linux right? Next stop Gnomebaker, result "file too large". OK then, Graveman. Wow, its finally writing!! The end result was a movie of wildly varying video qualities, with an audio track that fades out to silence with loud "pops" at regular intervals and will only play on one of my two DVD players.
um...amy suggestions as to what may have gone wrong/ how I can improve quality, as to make a watchable movie? Please forgive me if I seem a bit frustrated here, during the course of trying to post this reply, Firefox has unexpectadly crashed once, and when I tried to post this a minute ago, I was told I was no longer signed in...start over. Anyway, thanks in advance for your help =) I DO like Ubuntu, I think I may just be having "one of those days" heh, I think ill hold off on the "How to install HP printers" till tommorow, one thing at a time right? ;) actually, you're supposed to burn the "dvd.iso" file! Srry if i wasn't clear enough on that! you can actually delete that "dvd" folder, but don't delete the "dvd.iso" file, until you've actually burned it!

user1397
June 2nd, 2006, 02:22 AM
i've made the instructions a little clearer for step 7; now i don't say anything about the dvd folder, i only talk about the iso file, because that's the only one that matters.

user1397
June 2nd, 2006, 03:26 AM
Please post anyone if this method has worked for you, and list any/all issues you may have encountered while taking this tutuorial. Thank you.

squidward_tentacles
June 2nd, 2006, 03:53 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. :) I installed k3b as per the instrucions given, I dont know why its not working. In the end, all I did to write the image to disk <as graveman wouldnt accept the dvd.iso> was right click on it and choose write to disk, and a short time later I have a high quality movie, that is instantly recognized as DVD-VIDEO by either one of my DVD players. Thanks again! Superb job. Cheers!

user1397
June 2nd, 2006, 03:57 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. :) I installed k3b as per the instrucions given, I dont know why its not working. In the end, all I did to write the image to disk <as graveman wouldnt accept the dvd.iso> was right click on it and choose write to disk, and a short time later I have a high quality movie, that is instantly recognized as DVD-VIDEO by either one of my DVD players. Thanks again! Superb job. Cheers! Look on post below.

user1397
June 3rd, 2006, 01:12 AM
*Edited the howto. Now I chose not to add instructions on installing and using k3b, since I deem it actually unneccessary (even though I didn't feel like that before.) Instead I chose to use nautilu's cd/dvd creator, a much simpler application, and plus k3b needs lots of dependencies, and that's no good for a slower system. (Plus, who likes KDE apps on GNOME anyway??? :p)

user1397
June 3rd, 2006, 06:07 AM
*Edit: Added ending credits ;)

yabbadabbadont
June 3rd, 2006, 07:57 AM
I don't know of the berlios page is just a mirror, or the new home, or an old page, or ... but this ( http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page ) seems to be the page with the most current version of tovid. (0.27)

I'm going to (mostly) follow your instructions, but with the newer version. Perhaps the problem with the module import has been corrected in tovidgui in the new version.

Thanks for posting these instructions. I doubt that I would have found this program otherwise. (and I've been wanting to create some DVDs from assorted funny videos I have collected)

yabbadabbadont
June 3rd, 2006, 09:32 PM
After reading the tovid forums, it looks to me like the library module issue might be that Ubuntu doesn't include /usr/local/lib in the python library module path. (or whatever it is called) I configured tovid to use /usr instead of /usr/local and didn't have the issue. I did find a bug in the 0.27 version of tovidgui. When it calls makexml, it doesn't include "-out" before the output file name. The developer has already answered my bug report in the tovid forums with a simple edit to fix the problem. (I didn't try to track it down myself last night. I was too sleepy.) There is also a bug in the tovid shell script in which the WORKING_DIR variable is not properly quoted in two places. Again, someone in the tovid forums posted a simple fix.

I thank you again for pointing out this software. It was exactly what I was looking for.

TriggerHappyChewie
June 4th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Ok, well based on your script, you can only make one mpeg file into the iso, right? Is there a way to make an iso with multiple video files with your script?

ahaslam
June 4th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Hi,
Tovid is great, I'd never heard of it before I read this. Thanks for the info.
I followed your how to up to & including step number 4.
This took a couple of hours to convert the .avi to .mpeg.
From there I went ahead and clicked the burn tab, where it converted it into its separate video & sound folders, created a disc .iso & finally burnt the disc.
The burn process was slow @ 1 x, but it completed successfully & the disc works perfectly. The whole process took somewhere between 5&6 hours. I thought was a little excessive, but the finial product is great quality.
:D
Thanks again,
Tony.

TriggerHappyChewie
June 4th, 2006, 09:48 PM
The burn tab really isn't working for me...

When I select Author Disc Structure and Create Disc image, it starts the process.

However, it then puts this out:

It looks like some files already exist with prefix
Removing existing files...

And it deletes the file it already encoded, the mpg, then encodes it again!

ahaslam
June 4th, 2006, 11:48 PM
this just never worked for me, so it'll probably never work for you

And it deletes the file it already encoded, the mpg, then encodes it again!
I must've been very lucky. I don't usually deviate from the instructions, I just had a good feeling about it.

It looks like some files already exist with prefix
Removing existing files...
I've no idea what that means, but Tovid renamed my video during this last stage, as the original was to long. I wonder if that's what made the difference?

PS. I've seen that Tovid .27 is now availabe, see their wiki - anyone tried it?

Tony.

TriggerHappyChewie
June 4th, 2006, 11:53 PM
You must have been lucky :-).

I'm going to try .27 today and see what happens.

ahaslam
June 5th, 2006, 12:21 AM
I'm going to try .27 today and see what happens.
Let us know how you get on ;)

Cheers,
Tony.

yabbadabbadont
June 5th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Read my post at the top of this page... it is about a couple of bugs in the 0.27 version of tovid. Both have quick fixes. I think I found another problem with how tovidgui handles files that contain underscores in the filenames though. It (tovidgui) also seems to randomly skip videos when it starts the encoding process. I'll have to do some more testing to be sure though. So far however, the console apps in 0.27 seem to all work correctly.

TriggerHappyChewie
June 5th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Well, I installed .27, but I don't have the time to encode anything tonight.

Thanks for the heads-up on the bug yabbadabbadont.

jon_gunnar
June 5th, 2006, 09:07 AM
After reading the tovid forums, it looks to me like the library module issue might be that Ubuntu doesn't include /usr/local/lib in the python library module path. (or whatever it is called) I configured tovid to use /usr instead of /usr/local and didn't have the issue. I did find a bug in the 0.27 version of tovidgui. When it calls makexml, it doesn't include "-out" before the output file name. The developer has already answered my bug report in the tovid forums with a simple edit to fix the problem. (I didn't try to track it down myself last night. I was too sleepy.) There is also a bug in the tovid shell script in which the WORKING_DIR variable is not properly quoted in two places. Again, someone in the tovid forums posted a simple fix.
Thanks for this.The 0.27 worls quite nice here.
For info,direct link to the mentioned bugs:

http://www.createphpbb.com/tovid/viewtopic.php?p=1967&mforum=tovid#1967
http://www.createphpbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=410&highlight=workingdir&mforum=tovid

user1397
June 10th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Thank you guys for all of the suggestions and comments they have really helped. Don't worry, I'll do a major overhaul of the whole guide, I was just having fun at the beach that's all! :D

user1397
June 11th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Ok, well based on your script, you can only make one mpeg file into the iso, right? Is there a way to make an iso with multiple video files with your script? well using my script, i guess you could just experiment and do this:
mkiso /directory_of_first_file /directory_of_second_file etc., where the space between the two paths tells the script to do it for two different files. I'm not saying this will work, but in theory it could.

PapaWiskas
June 13th, 2006, 02:05 PM
well using my script, i guess you could just experiment and do this:
mkiso /directory_of_first_file /directory_of_second_file etc., where the space between the two paths tells the script to do it for all of the ones you type. I'm not saying this will work, but in theory it could.

Can anyone confirm that this works for two files to be placed on the DVD, so that you can watch both episodes on the home DVD player.

The reason why I ask is because when I used to do this in Windows, I could get two TV episodes on a DVD disc.

Because I am wondering if doing it this way will make an two individual ISO's or will it actually make one ISO that you can put on a DVD, hence two episodes per disc.

lime4x4
June 14th, 2006, 03:53 AM
i'm having a hard time finding the following packages
transcode and lsdvd

I tired a google search but i never find any files to download

user1397
June 14th, 2006, 05:25 AM
i'm having a hard time finding the following packages
transcode and lsdvd

I tired a google search but i never find any files to downloaddo you have the multiverse repositories enabled? Try this: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources.php

lime4x4
June 14th, 2006, 03:51 PM
yes i do i was able to find lsdvd but i'm having no luck with the transcode.. I keep getting transcode for fonts..Also i tried transcode.org and all there links are dead

user1397
June 14th, 2006, 07:29 PM
yes i do i was able to find lsdvd but i'm having no luck with the transcode.. I keep getting transcode for fonts..Also i tried transcode.org and all there links are deadthats really weird. As you can see, it should be in synaptic after enabling multiverse. Look at the attachment below for proof. Did you ever try the reload button in synaptic before looking for it? maybe that's all u have to do.

lime4x4
June 14th, 2006, 09:03 PM
i will try that i've done sudo apt-get update

lime4x4
June 14th, 2006, 10:34 PM
well when i click on the reload button all i get is errors for some odd reason

http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/dapper-security/universe/binary-i386/Packages.bz2: Sub-process bzip2 returned an error code (2)
http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/dapper/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.bz2: Sub-process bzip2 returned an error code (2)
http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/dapper-updates/universe/binary-i386/Packages.bz2: Sub-process bzip2 returned an error code (2)
http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/dapper-updates/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz: Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/dapper-updates/main/source/Sources.gz: Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)

This has been going for over a week now..I've tried different sources and they all error like that

PapaWiskas
June 15th, 2006, 03:51 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=176894&highlight=Sub-process+gzip

should help you guys out.

lime4x4
June 15th, 2006, 04:20 AM
thanks i tried all those suggestions before still no go

user1397
June 18th, 2006, 02:09 AM
*EDIT: okay i just did the major overhaul of the guide, now with the new version of tovid, 0.27

buildid
June 18th, 2006, 10:44 AM
if you have already mpg files , i create them with avidemux2 then there is a really nice script into tovid that creates also a dvd from several mpg files :
i use this command :

buildid@Breezy:~$ todisc -text-mist -menu-fade -files File 1.mpg file 2.mpg File 3.mpg File 4.mpg -titles "Deel 19" "Deel 20" "Deel 21" "Deel 22" -out videocollectionDVD

with this i get misty text , a menu that comes op slowly, and the dvd is build into the videocollection directory.

using latest stable version of Tovid.

This script can also produce dvd from avi including hardcoded subs .

user1397
June 18th, 2006, 04:25 PM
if you have already mpg files , i create them with avidemux2 then there is a really nice script into tovid that creates also a dvd from several mpg files :
i use this command :

buildid@Breezy:~$ todisc -text-mist -menu-fade -files File 1.mpg file 2.mpg File 3.mpg File 4.mpg -titles "Deel 19" "Deel 20" "Deel 21" "Deel 22" -out videocollectionDVD

with this i get misty text , a menu that comes op slowly, and the dvd is build into the videocollection directory.

This script can also produce dvd from avi including hardcoded subs .and what is this script you're talking about?

buildid
June 19th, 2006, 01:58 AM
todisc is the name.

http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Todisc

it is included into the latest version

user1397
June 19th, 2006, 03:11 AM
well i guess that answers your question, PapaWiskas.

oyvindaa
June 19th, 2006, 04:58 PM
i use this command :

This script can also produce dvd from avi including hardcoded subs .

I've got 12 .avi files, each about 350mb. I've also got subtitles (.srt) for each and everyone of these .avi files. Can I put all these and their subtitles on one dvd?

user1397
June 19th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I've got 12 .avi files, each about 350mb. I've also got subtitles (.srt) for each and everyone of these .avi files. Can I put all these and their subtitles on one dvd?i would try the tovid forums or the tovid wiki for that: http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Contents

oyvindaa
June 19th, 2006, 05:16 PM
i would try the tovid forums or the tovid wiki for that: http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Contents

Ok mate, will do. Thanks.

user1397
June 19th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Ok mate, will do. Thanks.you're very welcome, mate (I didn't know they used mate in Norway, unless you're in fact australian :p)

zenwhen
June 19th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Thanks to this guide, the last thing that I did in Windows two years ago that I havent done as much in linux can be done easily. I've been using this method for about a week to make dvd's of some .avi files, and it has worked flawlessly with about ten files.

oyvindaa
June 19th, 2006, 05:46 PM
you're very welcome, mate (I didn't know they used mate in Norway, unless you're in fact australian :p)

Well, they don't but I do when I type english :-)

user1397
June 19th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks to this guide, the last thing that I did in Windows two years ago that I havent done as much in linux can be done easily. I've been using this method for about a week to make dvd's of some .avi files, and it has worked flawlessly with about ten files.well, you are ever-so welcome! (trying to pull a cartman on you ;))

user1397
June 19th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Well, they don't but I do when I type english :-)ah! I see...

oyvindaa
June 19th, 2006, 07:24 PM
From the tovid wiki:

"Future plans

A number of additional features are planned for the tovid GUI. Among the things I have in mind (more or less in order of priority):

[...]

* Capability to add subtitles (as a subtitle stream) to videos. This would also require a tovid

implementation first."

[...]

I guess it's not possible yet then.

Did anyone else manage to add subtitles?

user1397
June 19th, 2006, 07:39 PM
From the tovid wiki:

"Future plans

A number of additional features are planned for the tovid GUI. Among the things I have in mind (more or less in order of priority):

[...]

* Capability to add subtitles (as a subtitle stream) to videos. This would also require a tovid

implementation first."

[...]

I guess it's not possible yet then.

Did anyone else manage to add subtitles?i have not done anything with subtitles, to answer your question, but notice that it only talks about the tovid gui. maybe the command-line version works with subtitles. just keep on reading and you might find the answer!!! :D

oyvindaa
June 19th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Yeah it's possible alright. Just had a look at the manual pages for tovid.

"-subtitles FILE
Get subtitles from FILE and encode them into the video. WARN‐
ING: This hard-codes the subtitles into the video, and you can‐
not turn them off while viewing the video. By default, no subti‐
tles are loaded. If your video is already compliant with the
chosen output format, it will be re-encoded to include the sub‐
titles."

user1397
June 20th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Yeah it's possible alright. Just had a look at the manual pages for tovid.

"-subtitles FILE
Get subtitles from FILE and encode them into the video. WARN‐
ING: This hard-codes the subtitles into the video, and you can‐
not turn them off while viewing the video. By default, no subti‐
tles are loaded. If your video is already compliant with the
chosen output format, it will be re-encoded to include the sub‐
titles."awesome! well i gess that answers your question!

oyvindaa
June 20th, 2006, 10:13 PM
With the following command I succeeded including subtitles:

tovid -pal -dvd -subtitles filename.srt -in filename.avi -out filename_encoded

Doing this with 11 other video files is gonna take a while though! :)

Using todisc I can add the .mpg files to the DVD like this:

todisc -files File1.mpg File2.mpg File3.mpg \
-out Season_one

My question is - will the method above generate an identical result (in terms of size and quality) to the method posted by you, Erik? (the one about making an .iso).

user1397
June 20th, 2006, 11:06 PM
My question is - will the method above generate an identical result (in terms of size and quality) to the method posted by you, Erik? (the one about making an .iso). i gotta tell you, I really am not sure! they should be the same size and quality, as the .iso file is always the same size as the .mpg file, so it really should be all the same! (best way to know, is to try it! :p)

oyvindaa
June 20th, 2006, 11:11 PM
in i gotta tell you, I really am not sure! they should be the same size and quality, as the .iso file is always the same size as the .mpg file, so it really should be all the same! (best way to know, is to try it! :p)

Alright, I'll test this tomorrow when I've encoded the last .avi

This sure is an interesting topic, I've been wanting to do this for a while and tovid seems like a great program for it.

I'll post back when everything's done.

lime4x4
June 21st, 2006, 12:46 AM
it just stops working

|| Encoding audio to ac3: 103 MB written to
--- Encoding audio to ac3: 105 MB written to
||| Encoding audio to ac3: 108 MB written to
--- Encoding audio to ac3: 110 MB written to

That is what is displayed and it will sit there for over 4 hours and not move..I've tried 7 avi's and they all stop around that point

oyvindaa
June 21st, 2006, 12:51 PM
Successfully burned a DVD this morning.

makedvd -burn /path/to/Season_one

The subtitles ended up a bit large, but not too large. Picture and sound quality was good, not excellent, but good. That's good enough for me.

See, I didn't need the gui :D

user1397
June 21st, 2006, 03:58 PM
Successfully burned a DVD this morning.

makedvd -burn /path/to/Season_one

The subtitles ended up a bit large, but not too large. Picture and sound quality was good, not excellent, but good. That's good enough for me.

See, I didn't need the gui :Dgood for you! maybe you can share your tovid command-line knowledge here, so there's an option for people that don't like the gui!

user1397
June 21st, 2006, 03:59 PM
it just stops working

|| Encoding audio to ac3: 103 MB written to
--- Encoding audio to ac3: 105 MB written to
||| Encoding audio to ac3: 108 MB written to
--- Encoding audio to ac3: 110 MB written to

That is what is displayed and it will sit there for over 4 hours and not move..I've tried 7 avi's and they all stop around that pointdid you ever get all of the dependencies for it? i remember that you couldn't get some dependencies.

oyvindaa
June 21st, 2006, 04:30 PM
maybe you can share your tovid command-line knowledge here, so there's an option for people that don't like the gui!

I'll be doing that, don't worry. I won't make a HOWTO though, because I aint good enough yet. I'll be posting little snippets as I go along :)

tuxcantfly
June 25th, 2006, 04:18 PM
http://tovid.sourceforge.net/download/kubuntu/

has deb packages

user1397
June 26th, 2006, 02:08 AM
http://tovid.sourceforge.net/download/kubuntu/

has deb packagesthanks for that! I have just updated the guide with the deb package, which makes things much easier.

user1397
June 26th, 2006, 06:15 AM
yes, the tovid developers have made it more simple than anything for ubuntu people! check this out: http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Tovid_packages See the ubuntu/kubuntu .deb?!!! Now i have included this package in my guide, so no more installing from source!

oyvindaa
June 26th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Great news :)

user1397
June 26th, 2006, 11:45 PM
If you haven't noticed, I have also taken out any quotation marks from the guide, because this confuses some people into thinking if they have to type the quotation marks or not. instead, I made those words bold (a little tip I picked up from aysiu, thanks again aysiu!)

BluDragon
June 27th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Does anybody have a copy of the icon? It doesn't seem to exist on my system (Dapper Drake).

user1397
June 27th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Does anybody have a copy of the icon? It doesn't seem to exist on my system (Dapper Drake).I'll upload the icon and put it at the bottom of the guide for convinience.

BluDragon
June 28th, 2006, 08:11 AM
I'll upload the icon and put it at the bottom of the guide for convinience.

Much thanks!

user1397
June 28th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Much thanks!no prob.

user1397
June 29th, 2006, 03:56 AM
*EDIT: I updated the tovid icon to the most current one :p

justinflavin
June 29th, 2006, 09:01 AM
i get an error when the last command in Tovid is executed (this is after it has encoded my avi to mpg)

makexml -dvd -overwrite -menu "/home/justin/tovid/Untitled_menu_1.mpg" "/home/justin/tovid/menorca-june2006 007.avi.tovid_encoded.mpg" "/home/justin/tovid/Untitled_disc"

the error in the tovid log is :
The file /home/justin/tovid/Untitled_disc was not found

Any clues anyone?

justinflavin
June 29th, 2006, 09:59 AM
http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Tovid_changelog#makexml

says that -out is now a required option for makexml. but the tovidgui script doesnt have that option.

the makexml statement above *should* look something like this:
makexml -dvd -overwrite -menu "/home/justin/tovid/Untitled_menu_1.mpg" "/home/justin/tovid/menorca-june2006 007.avi.tovid_encoded.mpg" -out "/home/justin/tovid/Untitled_disc"

note the -out before the "Untitled_disc" bit at the end.

any clues were i can change this within the tovid python scripts? this is obviously some sort of bug thats crept into the tovid .deb package.

justinflavin
June 29th, 2006, 10:39 AM
ok - i got it working.

bit of an ugly hack this , as it involves altering a Tovid python script (ideally , this hack should be incorporated as a bugfix in Tovid itself)

cd to

/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/libtovid/gui

sudo pico options.py

CTRL+w (for find) - type Use output directory

change this line (line 84):
strCommand += " \"%s/%s\"" % (curConfig.strOutputDirectory, self.outPrefix)

to

strCommand += "-out \"%s/%s\"" % (curConfig.strOutputDirectory, self.outPrefix)

CTRL+O to save

restart Tovid

I'm on Ubuntu Dapper - so obviously makexml has been updated since this guide was originally written, and it now requires the -out option. This change hasnt been incorporated in the .deb Tovid package (or maybe the .deb package is just out of date).

the hack above will add the -out requirement to the final makexml command as issued by the tovidgui.

justinflavin
June 29th, 2006, 03:27 PM
there's a bug in the latest tovid that causes problems if you have spaces in your avi filename

http://www.createphpbb.com/tovid/viewtopic.php?t=414&mforum=tovid

just make sure you rename the avi (removing spaces) before encoding.

user1397
June 29th, 2006, 06:45 PM
there's a bug in the latest tovid that causes problems if you have spaces in your avi filename

http://www.createphpbb.com/tovid/viewtopic.php?t=414&mforum=tovid

just make sure you rename the avi (removing spaces) before encoding.thank you so much justin, as you can see I have already made a link to all of these issues/bugs at the bottom of my guide.

user1397
July 3rd, 2006, 08:49 PM
okay i'm thinking about taking out the mkiso part of the guide, as this makes a duplicate file of the original that is very large in size, and some people can't afford to have that big of hard drive space, plus it's sort of unneeded. i'm deciding on what is the best option, and i will revise the guide soon.

oyvindaa
July 5th, 2006, 07:05 PM
okay i'm thinking about taking out the mkiso part of the guide, as this makes a duplicate file of the original that is very large in size, and some people can't afford to have that big of hard drive space, plus it's sort of unneeded. i'm deciding on what iis the best option, and i will revise the guide soon.

That's great mate, keep up the good work :)

lime4x4
July 6th, 2006, 04:10 AM
okay finally got it working correctly..Only one problem remains when using the next chapter button on my dvd it dumps me back to the beginning of the dvd anyway to fix this?

user1397
July 6th, 2006, 07:24 AM
okay finally got it working correctly..Only one problem remains when using the next chapter button on my dvd it dumps me back to the beginning of the dvd anyway to fix this?does that only happen with one video or all the videos or some?

lime4x4
July 6th, 2006, 12:22 PM
all videos

user1397
July 6th, 2006, 07:16 PM
all videosthen im guessing it must have something to do w/ the dvd player itself. i guess you'll just have to ignore it. you could ask on the tovid forums about it. its just as easy to register there as it is here: tovid forum (http://www.createphpbb.com/tovid/)

k420
July 15th, 2006, 06:44 PM
When i run tovidgui i get this
File "/usr/local/bin/tovidgui", line 22, in ?
import wxversion
ImportError: No module named wxversion
There was an error importing the 'wx' libraries. The above
output should help you find what went wrong. Re-installing
wxPython 2.6 (or upgrading from wxPython 2.4 to 2.6) may
help. Consult the tovid homepage (tovid.org) for further
assistance.
Sorry, 'tovidgui' will not work.

user1397
July 15th, 2006, 09:56 PM
When i run tovidgui i get thistry reinstalling or removing/installing python-2.6 in synaptic (system > administration > synaptic package manager)

PapaWiskas
July 15th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I am a very avid tovid user, the gui is in dire need of repairs, and it is way out of date. The command line is VERY easy to use, not hard at all. Heck if I can do it anyone can do it, trust me, I am serious.

The gui does not work well at all, since I switched to command line only, I have done over 30 DVDs without ANY issues at all.

user1397
July 16th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I am a very avid tovid user, the gui is in dire need of repairs, and it is way out of date. The command line is VERY easy to use, not hard at all. Heck if I can do it anyone can do it, trust me, I am serious.

The gui does not work well at all, since I switched to command line only, I have done over 30 DVDs without ANY issues at all.yes i know that the gui is way behind, but it is still beginner-oriented, and many people are afraid to use the command line. as i get more proficient with the command line, i will post more and more terminal sections, or if you would like to post some easy terminal steps, go ahead. the gui will improve however, as the tovid project is an ever-changing one.

daFoos
July 16th, 2006, 11:21 PM
any advice on how to install that file on a 64-bit system?

oh and how do you write an image in K3b? It says it only wants to write the dvd.iso to a CD and I have to force it to write to a DVD+R (which didn't work).

daFoos
July 18th, 2006, 03:29 AM
k I think I figured everything out

user1397
July 18th, 2006, 03:41 AM
k I think I figured everything outsorry for the late reply, and it seems you've got it figured out, but just to explain, in k3b you would have to go to tools > burn dvd image. for .iso files, you always have to burn the image, not burn the file as a data file.

thunderduck3141
July 19th, 2006, 12:33 AM
great tutorial
and btw, compiling from source for tovid is fast and easy, plus program is faster afterwards
peace out

NinjitsuStylee
July 19th, 2006, 04:12 AM
When that's done, you'll have a file named dvd.iso in /home. Now, put your blank dvd in the corresponding drive, right-click on the dvd.iso file, and click Write to Disc.

Maybe you already mentioned this somewhere else in this [growing] thread, but is there a way to modify that script so it doesn't put dvd.iso in /home and puts it in another directory that we can specify? I have lots of space on my fat partition and even more on another hard drive but not that much left in /home :(

user1397
July 19th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Maybe you already mentioned this somewhere else in this [growing] thread, but is there a way to modify that script so it doesn't put dvd.iso in /home and puts it in another directory that we can specify? I have lots of space on my fat partition and even more on another hard drive but not that much left in /home :(well looking at the script itself, it seems that it doesn't specify any directory within itself, so i guess it just matters where yourt current directory is and then run the script. in other words, do this:

cd <where_your_fat_partition_is>then do the mkiso command. see if that works.

lifeform23
July 25th, 2006, 04:33 PM
whenever i trying use tovid for encoding i get this error
91 audio & 204 video codecs

Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): Permission denied
Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system startup scripts.
Terminal type `unknown' is not defined.
Opening joystick device /dev/input/js0
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
Can't init input joystick
Setting up LIRC support...
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support.
You will not be able to use your remote control.
Playing /home/lifeform23/fiona elizabeth nixon.avi.
AVI file format detected.
AVI: ODML: Building odml index (1 superindexchunks)
AVI_NI: No video stream found.

BENCHMARKs: VC: 0.000s VO: 0.000s A: 0.000s Sys:-1323.374s = -1323.374s

Exiting... (End of file)
[tovid]: Encode stopped, killing all sub processes
[tovid]: tovid encountered an error during encoding:
[tovid]: Couldn't create file: "/tmp/fiona elizabeth nixon.avi.tovid_encoded.m2v"

I'm quite sure that all dependencies are installed....

dimatrod
July 26th, 2006, 10:24 PM
whenever i trying use tovid for encoding i get this error
91 audio & 204 video codecs

Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): Permission denied
Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system startup scripts.
Terminal type `unknown' is not defined.
Opening joystick device /dev/input/js0
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
Can't init input joystick
Setting up LIRC support...
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support.
You will not be able to use your remote control.
Playing /home/lifeform23/fiona elizabeth nixon.avi.
AVI file format detected.
AVI: ODML: Building odml index (1 superindexchunks)
AVI_NI: No video stream found.

BENCHMARKs: VC: 0.000s VO: 0.000s A: 0.000s Sys:-1323.374s = -1323.374s

Exiting... (End of file)
[tovid]: Encode stopped, killing all sub processes
[tovid]: tovid encountered an error during encoding:
[tovid]: Couldn't create file: "/tmp/fiona elizabeth nixon.avi.tovid_encoded.m2v"

I'm quite sure that all dependencies are installed....

Are you sure you've got Mplayer installed? Also try changing the filename from fiona elixabeth nixon to fiona_elizabeth_nixon, and see if that works

Bosonator
July 29th, 2006, 12:03 AM
The tovid dependencies list you give says that it is necessary to have wxPython installed. Even after updating my repositories as you recommend (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources.php.) and doing an apt-get update, I can't seem to find any package called wxPython (though others refer to it). Should I be looking for another package name?

tassoman
July 31st, 2006, 03:37 PM
Hi to all,
I've tried to make a DVD from a long AVI file. (gone with the wind)
Tovid GUI has created two mpg files chunked at 4.2 GB. And one Mpg for the menu.

I wonder i must burn 2 DVDs one with each mpg.

But when I convert shorten AVI files, how can i get the iso with the menu and he movie?

if I run the standalone script to make iso from mpg, it does with only 1 video for each iso. So I can't insert the menu also.

How to embed menus into dvd image?

user1397
July 31st, 2006, 11:54 PM
sorry guys but i've been extremely busy these past 2 months, i can't help out much.

i have updated the tovid download to version 0.28

starscalling
August 1st, 2006, 07:11 AM
heh
ive been looking for a simple guide like this for friggan forever!
this is teh awesomeness
thanx trying it now :)

doomsday
August 1st, 2006, 10:55 AM
that's right, give more of these sticky fingered freaks reasons to go to best buy and act like idiots.

starscalling
August 2nd, 2006, 12:04 AM
that's right, give more of these sticky fingered freaks reasons to go to best buy and act like idiots.

excuse me sir
i buy my dvd's by the box of 600
dont confuse my enthusiasm with blatant theft
bish

user1397
August 5th, 2006, 12:14 AM
The tovid dependencies list you give says that it is necessary to have wxPython installed. Even after updating my repositories as you recommend (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources.php.) and doing an apt-get update, I can't seem to find any package called wxPython (though others refer to it). Should I be looking for another package name?after looking in the ubuntu package database, i would think that wxPython would be one of these package names in ubuntu: python-wxversion, python-wxgtk2.6, or python-wxtools. So try installing one at a time, or maybe one depends on the other, so maybe you need to install them all!

starscalling
August 6th, 2006, 07:48 PM
i tried a 2 hr long avi to convert... lets call it fd3
so when it was done converting or whatever
i had the movie file which was 2 gigs and 2 menu files
wth ??
how do i mkiso with 3 files like that ~_~
or how do i combine them or something ??
or do i mkiso themovie and toss the other isos in somewhere??

mmm
still curious about that..
but i got the burn function to work from tovid!
burned in about 20 minutes
1. what about error verification?
2. what about keeping the aspect ratio the same as the input file... just draw blanks around the extra area?

sigh... someone post so i dont have to keep editing ~_~
[i hate double posters so typically unless its an uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuber long post i dont do so myself ~_^]
ok i found by clicking on the file itself i can choose some aspect ratios
adding my log from tovid... and before anyone gets all pissy i own this movie already ~_~
anyway so yeh what can i do with that dir with the stuff in it?
the ones with the vobs
i wanna burn with k3b so i can use error checking!
though at least with tovid im getting2-4x speeds i think...

user1397
August 7th, 2006, 11:50 PM
i tried a 2 hr long avi to convert... lets call it fd3
so when it was done converting or whatever
i had the movie file which was 2 gigs and 2 menu files
wth ??
how do i mkiso with 3 files like that ~_~
or how do i combine them or something ??
or do i mkiso themovie and toss the other isos in somewhere??

mmm
still curious about that..
but i got the burn function to work from tovid!
burned in about 20 minutes
1. what about error verification?
2. what about keeping the aspect ratio the same as the input file... just draw blanks around the extra area?

sigh... someone post so i dont have to keep editing ~_~
[i hate double posters so typically unless its an uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuber long post i dont do so myself ~_^]
ok i found by clicking on the file itself i can choose some aspect ratios
adding my log from tovid... and before anyone gets all pissy i own this movie already ~_~
anyway so yeh what can i do with that dir with the stuff in it?
the ones with the vobs
i wanna burn with k3b so i can use error checking!
though at least with tovid im getting2-4x speeds i think...sorry about the late reply, just real busy here.

so you want to burn with k3b i see...well i believe when you first open it up you can select out of the possible projects: "DVD video" or something like that. You might want to look in tools> or new>. sorry but im not on ubuntu rite now so i dont know the exact location but i know k3b has an option to create dvd movies. it might work, and then again, it might not.

i do know for sure though, that in k3b you can go to tools > burn dvd iso, and you can browse for your movie iso and error check it at the end.

Though i doubt all of that is necessary if you say tovid burns at 2-4x!!!

starscalling
August 8th, 2006, 05:29 AM
very nessisary
as i want data verification
and i can burn much faster with k3b

also how about getting a slideshow to work?
the menu option is there but greyed out !_!

user1397
August 8th, 2006, 05:32 PM
very nessisary
as i want data verification
and i can burn much faster with k3bthe faster you burn the dvd, the less probable that it will turn out without errors, so i would recommend using speeds of 4-8x max.

also how about getting a slideshow to work?
the menu option is there but greyed out !_!i am not sure about that. all i know is that the gui is far less advanced than the command line interface of tovid, so sometimees the gui doesn't cut it! And i'm not really proficient with the command line of tovid, so im afraid i can't help you...sorry!

starscalling
August 8th, 2006, 11:30 PM
nekostar@dapper:~$ ls Desktop/tovid/
10-12.mpg
1-3.mpg
4-6.mpg
7-9.mpg
Main_menu.mpg
po_po_tan.xml
[triad] popotan - 01.avi.tovid_encoded.mpg
[triad] popotan - 02.avi.tovid_encoded.mpg
[triad] popotan - 03.avi.tovid_encoded.mpg
[triad] popotan - 04.avi.tovid_encoded.mpg
[triad] popotan - 05.avi.tovid_encoded.mpg
[triad] popotan - 06.avi.tovid_encoded.mpg
[triad] popotan - 07.avi.tovid_encoded.mpg
[Triad] Popotan - 08.avi.tovid_encoded.mpg
[Triad] Popotan - 09.avi.tovid_encoded.mpg
[Triad] Popotan - 10.avi.tovid_encoded.mpg
[Triad] Popotan - 11.avi.tovid_encoded.mpg
[Triad] Popotan - 12.avi.tovid_encoded.mpg

ok so thats my tovid output folder !_!
mind looking in k3b and double checking what i should use?
i wanna make sure my menu works and all too
or how do i use the mkiso bit on that ?
ive no problem using commandline to do something i just need to know what im looking for

Done. The resulting XML was written to /home/nekostar/Desktop/tovid/po_po_tan.xml.
You can now author, image and/or burn the disc by running:
makedvd /home/nekostar/Desktop/tovid/po_po_tan.xml
Thanks for using makexml!

is how it says to do it.. which im gonna give a try,,,,,

#!/bin/bash
#Make iso from MPG's
dvdauthor -o dvd -t $1 &&
dvdauthor -o dvd -T &&
mkisofs -dvd-video -o dvd.iso dvd/ &&
exit

that being the tovid mkiso script....
seems that from commandline i could just tell it to work off of something... !_! sorry but that bit at the begining for me wasnt that clear

now the basic set of commands that tovid runs at this point is

The following commands will be run:
=========================================
makedvd -device /dev/dvdrw -author /home/nekostar/Desktop/tovid/po_po_tan.xml
------------------------
Running command: makemenu -ntsc -dvd -align northwest -background "/home/nekostar/duals/nice/Planet_Nova_by_mrastro316.jpg" -audio "/media/hdb1/music/B_SOUL_DARKSIDE_SOLDIERS_MIX_24_04_2006.mp3" -textcolor "rgb(255,255,255)" -highlightcolor "rgb(255,255,0)" -selectcolor "rgb(255,0,0)" -font "Default" "1-3" "4-6" "7-9" "10-12" -out "/tmp/Main_menu"
--------------------------------
makemenu
A script to generate DVD/(S)VCD menus
Part of the tovid suite, version 0.28
with: core magick dvd vcd transcode
http://www.tovid.org
--------------------------------
Adding title 1-3
Adding title 4-6
Adding title 7-9
Adding title 10-12
================================================== =======
Font: "Default" does not appear to be available in ImageMagick.
A similarly-named font was not found. Sorry!
The font "Helvetica" will be used instead.
================================================== =======
Adding 4 titles to the menu:
1-3
4-6
7-9
10-12
Creating the background canvas with the following command:
convert "/home/nekostar/duals/nice/Planet_Nova_by_mrastro316.jpg" -resize 720x -resize "x480<" -gravity center -crop 720x480+0+0 -matte makemenu.bg_canvas.12319.png
Converting "/media/hdb1/music/B_SOUL_DARKSIDE_SOLDIERS_MIX_24_04_2006.mp3" to ac3 with the following command:
ffmpeg -i "/media/hdb1/music/B_SOUL_DARKSIDE_SOLDIERS_MIX_24_04_2006.mp3" -ac 2 -ar 48000 -ab 224 -acodec ac3 -y "/tmp/Main_menu.ac3"

HAARP
August 9th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I haven't read the thread, but I made a better package some time ago. It's converted from the Fedora Core RPM, but it has all the dependencies so you don't need to fiddle with them manually. It also creates menu items automagically.

I'd be glad if you could add this to the start post.

starscalling
August 10th, 2006, 12:11 AM
seems that one makes me try to isntall mencoder
though its already a part of my mplayer package whereas the one in the thing in front doesnt........

loadeddreams
August 29th, 2006, 03:33 AM
My only question. I used Windows a lot at home, and used to use my laptop to burn DVDs.. I recently installed Ubuntu and found this guide.

I used to use Nero which automatically created Chapters for the avi file. Is there a way to do this in Ubuntu? I'm clueless as I've never transcoded AVI's to DVD using any Linux distro..

I haven't finished with this DVD yet, but thus far tovid seems to be working well.
And I'm loving Ubuntu so far.. I like it more than I did fedora, but I'm still a Slackware lover :)

user1397
August 29th, 2006, 03:37 AM
My only question. I used Windows a lot at home, and used to use my laptop to burn DVDs.. I recently installed Ubuntu and found this guide.

I used to use Nero which automatically created Chapters for the avi file. Is there a way to do this in Ubuntu? I'm clueless as I've never transcoded AVI's to DVD using any Linux distro..

I haven't finished with this DVD yet, but thus far tovid seems to be working well.
And I'm loving Ubuntu so far.. I like it more than I did fedora, but I'm still a Slackware lover :)yes there is a way to create chapters and lots more with tovid, but my knowledge does not extend that far with it. you might have luck in the tovid forums or the tovid wiki, people are really helpful there. (both of those links are at the bottom of my guide)

user1397
August 29th, 2006, 03:41 AM
ANNOUNCEMENT TO PEOPLE WHO ARE UBER-KIND!!!:

If someone would take the time to make a tovid package with all dependencies preinstalled, and preferably made into an ubuntu compatible .deb package, would help solve many problems that people have with tovid.

So if anyone is interseted in this, please tell me so that I can praise you! :p

(Sorry but I don't want any tovid packages converted from RPM or something else, only .deb's please)

PapaWiskas
August 29th, 2006, 04:14 AM
The DVDs I make in Tovid automatically have 5 minutes chapters built in.
Meaning when I push forward on the chapters button it skips ahead in 5 minute increments.
Hope this helps.

user1397
August 29th, 2006, 08:44 PM
The DVDs I make in Tovid automatically have 5 minutes chapters built in.
Meaning when I push forward on the chapters button it skips ahead in 5 minute increments.
Hope this helps.hmmm, sounds like a bug to me....i'll report it on the tovid forums and see what they say.

user1397
August 29th, 2006, 08:57 PM
hey papawiskas, i started a thread in the bugs section of the tovid forums about your bug, but i'm pretty sure they'll need some of your own input, so if you really want to fix it, i suggest you make an account in the tovid forums. Here is the actual thread: http://www.createphpbb.com/tovid/viewtopic.php?t=482&mforum=tovid

PapaWiskas
August 30th, 2006, 01:49 AM
yes there is a way to create chapters and lots more with tovid, but my knowledge does not extend that far with it. you might have luck in the tovid forums or the tovid wiki, people are really helpful there. (both of those links are at the bottom of my guide)

Hello erik,

I wasnt reporting a bug per say, but rather trying to answer the question on the Ubuntu forum about chapter creation.

What I was trying to say is that whenever I transcode Tovid using the terminal/command line, meaning from .avi to dvd compatible .mpg. After the Tovid program is done, I then use "makemenu" then I use "makexml" then I use "makedvd", now somewhere in there it makes 5 minute chapters by default and if I am not mistaken it is the "makexml" process that actually does this because the resulting .xml file has the chapter breakdown listed in it with each .mpg associated with it.

So actually I guess I am wrong in saying tovid creates the chapters when actually it is the makexml process that does this. Tovid just transcodes the .avi to .mpg.

Not sure if any of this makes any sense as I have had a few beers, and some Captain Morgan....but I follow what I am saying nonetheless.... :D

loadeddreams
August 30th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Hello erik,

I wasnt reporting a bug per say, but rather trying to answer the question on the Ubuntu forum about chapter creation.

What I was trying to say is that whenever I transcode Tovid using the terminal/command line, meaning from .avi to dvd compatible .mpg. After the Tovid program is done, I then use "makemenu" then I use "makexml" then I use "makedvd", now somewhere in there it makes 5 minute chapters by default and if I am not mistaken it is the "makexml" process that actually does this because the resulting .xml file has the chapter breakdown listed in it with each .mpg associated with it.

So actually I guess I am wrong in saying tovid creates the chapters when actually it is the makexml process that does this. Tovid just transcodes the .avi to .mpg.

Not sure if any of this makes any sense as I have had a few beers, and some Captain Morgan....but I follow what I am saying nonetheless.... :D

lol.. well I follow you too ;)
there is a -chapters INTERVAL option with makexml, which I didn't see prior to this. I'm currently burning a disc but when that finishes I'll look at tovid and flip through the options.

The -chapters option is good, but what I meant was nero looks for blackspace and creates a chapter at that point. Which makes sense, a new chapter during scene changes, and there were always 18 chapters (DVD default I believe?) Either way, I can definitely settle with a new chapter every few minutes. Thanks! :)
edit: this thing really needs a spellcheck.. lol

user1397
August 30th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Hello erik,

Not sure if any of this makes any sense as I have had a few beers, and some Captain Morgan....but I follow what I am saying nonetheless.... :Dwell ok then :p
wapcaplet did return the needed answer anyway

loadeddreams
August 31st, 2006, 03:47 AM
well ok then :p
wapcaplet did return the needed answer anyway

what answer was that? I read through the thread and didn't see that username :( well.. I didn't read through all the thread, but y'know.
anyways, I looked to see if there was a makexml config file but there is no such thing.. and I can't find a way to edit the command being run in tovid. I don't think I could, anyways.. I'm at a friends on a windows machine now so I can't check, but I think I tried a few times.

PapaWiskas
August 31st, 2006, 03:20 PM
what answer was that? I read through the thread and didn't see that username :( well.. I didn't read through all the thread, but y'know.
anyways, I looked to see if there was a makexml config file but there is no such thing.. and I can't find a way to edit the command being run in tovid. I don't think I could, anyways.. I'm at a friends on a windows machine now so I can't check, but I think I tried a few times.

Hello loadeddreams,

I think he (erik) was referring to the post he made on the Tovid forum, which is where I responded also. Anywhoo....here is the link.
Drink up me hearty!:-P
http://www.createphpbb.com/tovid/viewtopic.php?t=482&mforum=tovid

user1397
August 31st, 2006, 08:31 PM
Hello loadeddreams,

I think he (erik) was referring to the post he made on the Tovid forum, which is where I responded also. Anywhoo....here is the link.
Drink up me hearty!:-P
http://www.createphpbb.com/tovid/viewtopic.php?t=482&mforum=tovidyep, that's what i meant.

Yes indeed, it is makexml that creates 5-minute chapters by default. The -chapters option lets you specify a different interval, but there's presently no way to do arbitrary chapter points (i.e., a list of explicit time indexes) with makexml. You can always edit the .xml file prior to authoring, to get desired chapter points (or none at all).

greenwom
September 1st, 2006, 03:08 AM
I've got the gui running and I make a three menu selection with backgrounds and music. After the long encode I was left with a mpg that was only 89MB. I ran it in totem and vlc and I saw my menu but no action on the video selections (I have two / teo hour movies.)

I also was going to let it install in /tmp but that didn't work it said my 23gigs wasn't enough space?

What I take is that it didn't covert the avi's at all. I'm trying the gui again, letting it write to /tmp (do I need to start the gui as sudo?)

PapaWiskas
September 1st, 2006, 04:13 AM
to be honest I think the GUI to be buggy...I run tovid from the command line only.

Just use terminal, change to the directory that the avi are in and type tovid...this will bring up a sort of help text for you that shows you the options...

For example I would type this in terminal...

tovid -dvd -ntsc -in nameofavifile.avi -out newnameofmpg

This command would effectively convert the .avi file into a dvd compatible .mpg file in the same directory as the avi file.

After that is done you can do the makemenu, then makexml, then makedvd to finally author and burn it.
However I did notice that in the .xml file you do need to edit it in order for widescreen to work on 4:3 TVs...just do this edit...
after <titles> put the following...
<video aspect="16:9" widescreen="nopanscan" />
save and you are done...this will make a widescreen movie NOT be cut off on the sides.

user1397
September 1st, 2006, 04:26 AM
I've got the gui running and I make a three menu selection with backgrounds and music. After the long encode I was left with a mpg that was only 89MB. I ran it in totem and vlc and I saw my menu but no action on the video selections (I have two / teo hour movies.)

I also was going to let it install in /tmp but that didn't work it said my 23gigs wasn't enough space?

What I take is that it didn't covert the avi's at all. I'm trying the gui again, letting it write to /tmp (do I need to start the gui as sudo?)hmmm the 23 Gigs is plenty of space, and no you're not supposed to run it as root. as has been mentioned, however, the tovid gui is somewhat buggy, so you could try the tovid forums on that one. :???:

user1397
September 1st, 2006, 04:27 AM
to be honest I think the GUI to be buggy...I run tovid from the command line only.

Just use terminal, change to the directory that the avi are in and type tovid...this will bring up a sort of help text for you that shows you the options...

For example I would type this in terminal...

tovid -dvd -ntsc -in nameofavifile.avi -out newnameofmpg.mpg

This command would effectively convert the .avi file into a dvd compatible .mpg file in the same directory as the avi file.

After that is done you can do the makemenu, then makexml, then makedvd to finally author and burn it.
However I did notice that in the .xml file you do need to edit it in order for widescreen to work on 4:3 TVs...just do this edit...
after <titles> put the following...
save and you are done...this will make a widescreen movie NOT be cut off on the sides.thanks for the help, i will add these simple instructions as an alternative to the gui soon.

PapaWiskas
September 1st, 2006, 04:36 AM
I made a mistake so I changed my post...

the mistake was newnameofmpg.mpg

It should read

-out newnameofmpg

it automatically puts the .mpg at the end on its own, it doesnt need to be declared.

PapaWiskas
September 1st, 2006, 04:37 AM
thanks for the help, i will add these simple instructions as an alternative to the gui soon.

Let me know if you want some help on it....I used to be GUI dependent, but have found the command line is just as easy and way more stable....

Anyway, I write instruction manuals for work, they tell me I am good at making things understandable...LMAO....meaning they aren't technically gifted....

user1397
September 1st, 2006, 04:47 AM
Let me know if you want some help on it....I used to be GUI dependent, but have found the command line is just as easy and way more stable....

Anyway, I write instruction manuals for work, they tell me I am good at making things understandable...LMAO....meaning they aren't technically gifted....okay, i appreciate it, i'll ask for help if need be

Mtnear
September 9th, 2006, 02:05 AM
When i run tovidgui i get this...

Installing the python-wxgtk2.6 pkg in synaptic took care of this for me.

jocheem67
September 10th, 2006, 01:23 PM
How long is a conversion supposed to take?
About 5 hours for a 3 hour xvid avi?
Pretty long....

And I used this command:

jochem@jochem-desktop:~/movie$ tovid -pal -full -subtitles movie.srt -in movie.avi -out movie_encoded.

Encoding is underway, but I'm afraid that I should have used the 'dvd'option instead of the ' full' option?

Anyone knows?

PapaWiskas
September 11th, 2006, 12:27 AM
you might as well cancel it...but by the time you read this it will probably be too late.

You should have used the -dvd option not -full....

darrenm
September 12th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Anyone on Edgy getting this message:

File "/usr/local/bin/tovidgui", line 39, in ?
from libtovid.gui.frames import TovidFrame
ImportError: No module named libtovid.gui.frames
should download the source from sourceforge and run it with
./configure --prefix=/usr
Something about python2.4 not being in the search path. May be an Edgy bug but I may be just running a dodgy system.

EDIT: Just saw this same thing fixed on page 3. Doh!

Anonii
September 18th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Greetings, since the converted avi will take 2.2GB~ we can fit another movie in there, right? :/
If yes, how can we do that?

Thanks.

user1397
September 19th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Greetings, since the converted avi will take 2.2GB~ we can fit another movie in there, right? :/

Thanks.i don't really know the intricacies of tovid man, sorry. i put this guide here as a way for "noobs" that are coming into the forums, can see that this is easy to do in linux as it is in windows. if you have more complex questions, like the one you mentioned, you'll have better luck asking in the tovid forums (i provide a link to it at the end of the guide.)

Anonii
September 19th, 2006, 05:35 AM
i don't really know the intricacies of tovid man, sorry. i put this guide herer as a way for "noobs" coming into the forums can see that this is easy to do in linux as it is in windows. if you have more complex questions, like the one you mentioned, you'll have better luck asking in the tovid forums (i provide a link to it at the end of the guide.)
Ok thanks! Another question:

I got this error at step11:

$ mkiso -input-charset utf-8 Requiem.png
INFO: UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
use -input-charset to override.
Using GIBVI000.MPG;1 for /gibvideo3.mpg (gibvideo2.mpg)
Using GIBVI001.MPG;1 for /gibvideo2.mpg (gibvideo1.mpg)
Using MINBT000.PNG;1 for /minbtsize3.png (minbtsize2.png)
Using MINBT001.PNG;1 for /minbtsize2.png (minbtsize1.png)
Using MINBT002.PNG;1 for /minbtsize1.png (minbtsize0.png)
mkisofs: Unable to make a DVD-Video image.

Tried with:

$ mkiso -input-charset UTF-8 Requiem.png
INFO: UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
use -input-charset to override.
Using GIBVI000.MPG;1 for /gibvideo3.mpg (gibvideo2.mpg)
Using GIBVI001.MPG;1 for /gibvideo2.mpg (gibvideo1.mpg)
Using MINBT000.PNG;1 for /minbtsize3.png (minbtsize2.png)
Using MINBT001.PNG;1 for /minbtsize2.png (minbtsize1.png)
Using MINBT002.PNG;1 for /minbtsize1.png (minbtsize0.png)
mkisofs: Unable to make a DVD-Video image.

but still no changes :/

user1397
September 19th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Ok thanks! Another question:

I got this error at step11:

Tried with:

but still no changes :/hmmm are you typing the mkiso command with all of those extra commands after it? or is that just part of the mkiso process?

Anonii
September 19th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Well, screwed up the mkiso script, made it all in one line (-_-) . Fixed it now ^_^

Thanks for the help!

user1397
September 20th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Well, screwed up the mkiso script, made it all in one line (-_-) . Fixed it now ^_^

Thanks for the help!no prob
thanks for using this guide

fabertawe
September 20th, 2006, 05:11 PM

Thanks.

Have you tried ManDVD (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=38347&vote=good&tan=73191165&PHPSESSID=b0fc4ec8303fb395575ca2deffdf9558)? It even works here on AMD64 (Dapper 6.06) prefixed by 'linux32'. It reminds me of the DVD authoring part of the Nero suite on Windows (I forget the name).

I created a quick ISO containing two AVIs with a menu and it played perfectly in my DVD player.

Paul

yeehawjared
September 23rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
ManDVD has a slick interface GUI, but you can only use mpeg2 :(

binks
October 1st, 2006, 11:04 AM
ok just a quickie you can use todisc to create a dvd with more than one title

Usage
todisc [OPTIONS] \
-files <file list> -titles <title list>
-out OUT_PREFIX

For example:

$ todisc -files File1.mpg File2.mpg File3.mpg \
-out Season_one
binks :)
edit this is an exstract from man todisc
todisc is installed when you install tovid ;)

Valavien
October 10th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Hi all,

Just created an mpg file and went to use the script to create an iso and copied the text in exaclty but I get this error? Any ideas.

mkisofs: No such file or directory. Invalid node - dvd/

user1397
October 10th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Hi all,

Just created an mpg file and went to use the script to create an iso and copied the text in exaclty but I get this error? Any ideas.

mkisofs: No such file or directory. Invalid node - dvd/did you miss this part of my guide: "Make sure that it looks exactly like that, or else it won't work." meaning, that when you copy and paste the script, it'll appear all in one line, but you have to make it so that it appears exactly how it is in the howto. your script is probably one long line.

oh, and it's not "mkisofs" its just "mkiso"

Valavien
October 10th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Ah, I did read that and what popped in my head was, "hmm, it will be ok I will just copy and paste it"... Clearly doing this stuff at midnight wasn't a good idea after all. But it has now worked, now I just have to move a few things around so / isn't at 100% *sigh* ](*,)

Thanks

user1397
October 11th, 2006, 12:47 AM
***EDIT: Made the dependency installation as easy as copy/paste. no more fussing about with synaptic!

user1397
October 11th, 2006, 03:49 AM
***ANOTHER EDIT: Made the mkiso script easily pastable, stupid me. no more messing with one long line of code. Please tell me if this works anybody.

mssever
October 11th, 2006, 04:40 AM
I've found DVDStyler to be more functional than Tovid, especially when it comes to creating menus. And, you don't have to touch the command line if you don't want to.

The process is:
Create MPEG file(s)
Open up DVDStyler
Create menu(s)
Drag and drop MPEGs to form titles
Configure buttons
Use the (poorly-named) Burn command to automatily build everything. Check the review box if you hve xine installed to avoid wasting DVDs. Tell DVDStyler to create an ISO
Burn the ISO to disc using your favorite burning software.

maddbaron
October 11th, 2006, 01:44 PM
HELP!

I tried to add the how to from 1st page on konsole when it asked me did i want to stop kdm daemon I canceled and it started removing kubuntu!

it(konsole text) said removing... and it removed a lot of base kubuntu programs like klipper, kubuntu help and stuff like that. I closed konsole before it could finish and I didnt reboot yet. the stuff looks like it is still there but if I reboot will it be gone?

how can I check?

please!?

maddbaron
October 11th, 2006, 01:48 PM
yes i looked in my menu a lot of my programs are now gone kwireless, adept, ksnapshot, kopete gone a lot of utilities gone also omg omg omg....all i have left is stuff from gnome but nothing "k"....how do I get them back??? anyone....

mssever
October 11th, 2006, 08:30 PM
yes i looked in my menu a lot of my programs are now gone kwireless, adept, ksnapshot, kopete gone a lot of utilities gone also omg omg omg....all i have left is stuff from gnome but nothing "k"....how do I get them back??? anyone....

(re)install kubuntu-desktop.

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

user1397
October 11th, 2006, 10:12 PM
(re)install kubuntu-desktop.

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktopthats's if he wanted to keep it forever. the wiser method would be to use
sudo aptitude update&&sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktopit is easier to remove kubuntu-desktop with aptitude, if you decide that you dont like it, but with apt-get it might/might not work.

mssever
October 11th, 2006, 10:53 PM
thats's if he wanted to keep it forever. the wiser method would be to use
sudo aptitude update&&sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktopit is easier to remove kubuntu-desktop with aptitude, if you decide that you dont like it, but with apt-get it might/might not work.

My guess is that the whole reason that he lost KDE stuff is because of using aptitude. I lost Xubuntu once after installing something with aptitude. Aptitude thought that xubuntu-desktop and all dependencies were unused and removed them (I didn't notice until too late). Aptitude also tries to label stuff on my system as broken (which is bogus) and has tried many times to remove gqphoto. I have none of these problems with apt-get or Synaptic. So, that's why I suggested apt-get. Aptitude would be a great idea if it worked consistantly for me.

user1397
October 11th, 2006, 11:04 PM
My guess is that the whole reason that he lost KDE stuff is because of using aptitude. I lost Xubuntu once after installing something with aptitude. Aptitude thought that xubuntu-desktop and all dependencies were unused and removed them (I didn't notice until too late). Aptitude also tries to label stuff on my system as broken (which is bogus) and has tried many times to remove gqphoto. I have none of these problems with apt-get or Synaptic. So, that's why I suggested apt-get. Aptitude would be a great idea if it worked consistantly for me.well then, you must be a rare case. aptitude has always worked for me, and for lots of people too. the reason why your xubuntu was removed was probably caused by not updating, which you should do everytime before using aptitude.

user1397
October 12th, 2006, 02:09 AM
i'm thinking of making an executable script for this guide, a first for me. it would download and install all dependencies, download and install tovid, download the icon and put it in /usr/share/icons, and download the mkiso script and put it in /usr/bin.

What do you guys think?

all you would have to do to start the script would be something like:

chmod +x installtovid.sh
./installtovid.sh

tmcahow
October 12th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I hope someone is still reading this thread...i am having no luck in burning the files to my dvd...i follow the instructions and when i type the mkiso command i get the following error:

ERR: Error opening dvd/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.vob: No such file or directory

I also tried strictly using makedvd...however, i get the following error when trying to use the -burn option:

Cannot continue! DVD image (3725MB) exceeds the DVD's capacity 0MB)

Can anyone help?

user1397
October 12th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I hope someone is still reading this thread...i am having no luck in burning the files to my dvd...i follow the instructions and when i type the mkiso command i get the following error:

ERR: Error opening dvd/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.vob: No such file or directory

I also tried strictly using makedvd...however, i get the following error when trying to use the -burn option:

Cannot continue! DVD image (3725MB) exceeds the DVD's capacity 0MB)

Can anyone help?is this the first time you've used this guide? i mean, have you made the mkiso script in the past 2 days, or did you made it a long time ago?

tmcahow
October 13th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Thank you for the reply...and first off let me say i think your idea is great about make the tovid script file...the process of finding all the dependencies was painful (of course i did all that before i found this thread)...

I have never successfully used the script...I created the script maybe 2 days ago...and then received the errors noted previously...

Tad

tmcahow
October 13th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Update:

I am using Kubuntu and KDE 3+...and no matter what i do i can not get any program to write the mpg file to the dvd writer...K3b recognizes the dvd blank disc...but i can not get the darn encoded file to the dvd...sorry, a little frustrated...

as i am on the other side of the planet (japan), please tell me what information you need from me to help me resolve this problem...

Tad

user1397
October 13th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Update:

I am using Kubuntu and KDE 3+...and no matter what i do i can not get any program to write the mpg file to the dvd writer...K3b recognizes the dvd blank disc...but i can not get the darn encoded file to the dvd...sorry, a little frustrated...

as i am on the other side of the planet (japan), please tell me what information you need from me to help me resolve this problem...

Tad
EDIT: arrrrgh, just forget what I wrote before in this post, it made no sense. The script is fine, it should work, I have learned that the way it's organized does not matter to much, except the code can't all be in one line. before i make the huge, all-powerful script, I have simplified the mkiso process. i now provide a downloadable mkiso script, just follow the new directions to get it working. remove your old mkiso script and start anew. here's how to remove the old one:

sudo rm /usr/bin/mkisothe script should work for you. EDIT: wow im an idiot today, giving you directions on nautilus when you have kde! *slaps his face with a great intensity* okay, in k3b, you should go to tools > burn DVD IMAGE, or DVD ISO (something like that). that's the only way to do it.

user1397
October 14th, 2006, 03:38 AM
***EDIT: Okay, I finally made the script, check it out at the top of the first page.

PLEASE ALL VOLUNTEERS, HEP TEST MY SCRIPT!!!

tmcahow
October 14th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Ok...everything worked...one note...the dvd.iso file remains in the /tmp directory...

Thank you very much...you are a credit to the linux community...all members of this community should take note of your willingness to help increase users abilities to employee linux products...often i have found the community to be information keepers instead of information sharers...you are a refreshing change...

again thanks from the other side of the planet...

one last thing, can you help the bears remain undefeated for the entire season?

Tad

user1397
October 14th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Ok...everything worked...one note...the dvd.iso file remains in the /tmp directory...hmm that's weird. did you change the output directory while in tovid?

Thank you very much...you are a credit to the linux community...all members of this community should take note of your willingness to help increase users abilities to employee linux products...often i have found the community to be information keepers instead of information sharers...you are a refreshing change...

again thanks from the other side of the planet...thanks, no problem man, just trying to give back what i can

one last thing, can you help the bears remain undefeated for the entire season?

Tadhmmm, i'm not sure if that power is under my jurisdiction:D

nalmeth
October 14th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Hey, erik, not that you are a tovid ambassador or anything, but in your travels have you ever heard of tovid crashing Ubuntu (as in immediate shutdown) while encoding files?

I would first think this has to do with kernel related services, but everytime I try to encode one specific video file my PC outright powers out, no notice of anything.

I've looked on the tovid forums and elsewhere, but can't reproduce anything.

I'll keep looking for an explanation, but just thought I'd ask

user1397
October 14th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Hey, erik, not that you are a tovid ambassador or anything, but in your travels have you ever heard of tovid crashing Ubuntu (as in immediate shutdown) while encoding files?

I would first think this has to do with kernel related services, but everytime I try to encode one specific video file my PC outright powers out, no notice of anything.

I've looked on the tovid forums and elsewhere, but can't reproduce anything.

I'll keep looking for an explanation, but just thought I'd asknope, i've never heard of any such bug. very weird though. sorry i cant help you out.

nalmeth
October 14th, 2006, 04:42 PM
nope, i've never heard of any such bug. very weird though. sorry i cant help you out.
OK, thanks anyway!

user1397
October 15th, 2006, 04:34 AM
sooo....anybody test out my script yet???:(

BatteryCell
October 15th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Hm I didnt get any audio after creating the disk (none in the original mpg either :-/) Any ideas as to why the .avi has audio but not the mpg. I mean tovid goes through the whole

Waiting 30 seconds for output file "audio.ac3" to appear...
Waiting 29 seconds for output file "audio.ac3" to appear...
Waiting 28 seconds for output file "audio.ac3" to appear...
Processing started. Please wait...
--- Copying compliant audio stream: 21 MB written to audio.ac3
||| Copying compliant audio stream: 45 MB written to audio.ac3
--- Copying compliant audio stream: 68 MB written to audio.ac3
||| Copying compliant audio stream: 93 MB written to audio.ac3
--- Copying compliant audio stream: 117 MB written to audio.ac3
||| Copying compliant audio stream: 143 MB written to audio.ac3
--- Copying compliant audio stream: 164 MB written to audio.ac3
||| Copying compliant audio stream: 182 MB written to audio.ac3

thing but Im all the more confused,

It does say :

Found compliant audio and dumping the stream.
This sometimes causes errors when multiplexing; add '-force' to the tovid
command line to re-encode if multiplexing fails.
Copying the existing audio stream with the following command:
nice -n 0 mplayer "/data1/Shared/Band of Brothers 01 - Currahee.avi" -dumpaudio -dumpfile "/root/Band of Brothers 01 - Currahee.avi.tovid_encoded.CyxGUl/audio.ac3"

Before that copying thing...but no errors so once again Im confused.

Any help would be great because I've got all 10 band of brothers on my disk (about 8 gigs) and really need them off.

user1397
October 15th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Hm I didnt get any audio after creating the disk (none in the original mpg either :-/) Any ideas as to why the .avi has audio but not the mpg. I mean tovid goes through the whole

Waiting 30 seconds for output file "audio.ac3" to appear...
Waiting 29 seconds for output file "audio.ac3" to appear...
Waiting 28 seconds for output file "audio.ac3" to appear...
Processing started. Please wait...
--- Copying compliant audio stream: 21 MB written to audio.ac3
||| Copying compliant audio stream: 45 MB written to audio.ac3
--- Copying compliant audio stream: 68 MB written to audio.ac3
||| Copying compliant audio stream: 93 MB written to audio.ac3
--- Copying compliant audio stream: 117 MB written to audio.ac3
||| Copying compliant audio stream: 143 MB written to audio.ac3
--- Copying compliant audio stream: 164 MB written to audio.ac3
||| Copying compliant audio stream: 182 MB written to audio.ac3

thing but Im all the more confused,

It does say :

Found compliant audio and dumping the stream.
This sometimes causes errors when multiplexing; add '-force' to the tovid
command line to re-encode if multiplexing fails.
Copying the existing audio stream with the following command:
nice -n 0 mplayer "/data1/Shared/Band of Brothers 01 - Currahee.avi" -dumpaudio -dumpfile "/root/Band of Brothers 01 - Currahee.avi.tovid_encoded.CyxGUl/audio.ac3"
Before that copying thing...but no errors so once again Im confused.

Any help would be great because I've got all 10 band of brothers on my disk (about 8 gigs) and really need them off.this one is stumping me...have you installed all proprietary codecs?

BatteryCell
October 15th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Yup...right now Im trying it with avidemux and seing if I cant get it work.

user1397
October 15th, 2006, 09:30 PM
okay, as impatient as i am, i have tested my script , and it worked, for me at least. so please feel free to use it and report if any errors occur.

BatteryCell
October 15th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Yea I already had tovid installed, but i just did the script anyways, and so far it looks good :-).

user1397
October 16th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Yea I already had tovid installed, but i just did the script anyways, and so far it looks good :-).yay! my first feedback! and a positive report too! hope its not the only one...:-k

aysiu
October 16th, 2006, 05:04 AM
has the menu entry ever worked for anybody automatically? cause on my tovid script, it didn't work for me.
I took a look at your .desktop file for Tovid, and it doesn't appear to have a classification:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Tovid
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Name[en_US]=Tovid
Exec=tovidgui
Icon[en_US]=/usr/share/icons/Tovid_icon.png
Icon=/usr/share/icons/Tovid_icon.png
GenericName[en_US]= It specifies and icon and the executable, but it doesn't say what category the application belongs to.

user1397
October 17th, 2006, 01:37 AM
I took a look at your .desktop file for Tovid, and it doesn't appear to have a classification:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Tovid
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Name[en_US]=Tovid
Exec=tovidgui
Icon[en_US]=/usr/share/icons/Tovid_icon.png
Icon=/usr/share/icons/Tovid_icon.png
GenericName[en_US]= It specifies and icon and the executable, but it doesn't say what category the application belongs to.ah ok, i got it now. thanks to your songbird.desktop file actually! sorry about the copycat-ness:D

user1397
October 17th, 2006, 01:40 AM
***EDIT: Okay, I have edited the script so that the tovid executable will actually go to applications > sound & video. i have also finally included the x86_64 or amd64 version for tovid in the conventional guide, i don't know why i delayed it this long. i will add the amd64 version to the script soon, as soon as i learn how.

Big Fish
October 18th, 2006, 04:48 AM
I ran your script and when I try to run the program, nothing happens. :(

Applications > Sound & Video > Tovid = nothing

user1397
October 18th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I ran your script and when I try to run the program, nothing happens. :(

Applications > Sound & Video > Tovid = nothinghmm very strange. do you have the command line output of my script in action? if not, what happens when you type tovidgui in a terminal?

Big Fish
October 18th, 2006, 08:46 PM
hmm very strange. do you have the command line output of my script in action? if not, what happens when you type tovidgui in a terminal?

import wxversion
assistance.
Sorry, 'tovidgui' will not work.

user1397
October 18th, 2006, 08:54 PM
import wxversion
assistance.
Sorry, 'tovidgui' will not work.ok, paste this into a terminal:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install python python-wxgtk2.6and then try tovidgui in the terminal.

Big Fish
October 18th, 2006, 09:00 PM
ok, paste this into a terminal:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install python python-wxgtk2.6and then try tovidgui in the terminal.

It said this: "sh: convert: command not found" and then it opened. :)

Big Fish
October 18th, 2006, 09:04 PM
It said this: "sh: convert: command not found" and then it opened. :)

It works in the Applications menu too. :)

user1397
October 18th, 2006, 09:06 PM
It works in the Applications menu too. :)okay good, it's still weird though....i dont get why my script didn't install wxPython for you. does it always say the sh: convert error when you try opening it?

Big Fish
October 18th, 2006, 09:19 PM
okay good, it's still weird though....i dont get why my script didn't install wxPython for you. does it always say the sh: convert error when you try opening it?

When I type "tovidgui" into the console, I get that. When I use the menu, it opens fine.

user1397
October 18th, 2006, 10:12 PM
When I type "tovidgui" into the console, I get that. When I use the menu, it opens fine.that still sounds strange though, but it appears to be a minor bug, since tovid still opens. i would report the bug in the tovid forums if i were you, the link is at the bottom of my guide.

EDIT: btw, did you install the right version of tovid? i mean, for your architecture? (x86 or x86_64?)

user1397
October 18th, 2006, 10:53 PM
***EDIT: okay i updated my script once again, now there's a maor change...you can choose to install the 386 version or the amd64 version of tovid. I need as much testing as possible with this script please, so that i can get rid of the conventional guide and simplify this whole guide.

edit: Okay I just tried the new script on my x86 machine, and it works perfectly, so now i know that it at least works on i386 PC's. please all amd64 people, test this out!

user1397
October 18th, 2006, 11:31 PM
***EDIT: Also, I've just made a tovid removal script, in case you want to remove everything it downloaded. Please report if this works.

Big Fish
October 19th, 2006, 09:32 PM
When I actually try to encode an avi file, my machine locks up at various points of the process. :(

mssever
October 19th, 2006, 09:36 PM
When I actually try to encode an avi file, my machine locks up at various points of the process. :(

The fact that you're getting random lockups is a sure sign of bad hardware--probably bad memory or processor.

To test memory, choose the memtest86 option from the Grub menu (when you first boot). Let it run for at least several hours and see if it reports any errors.

I don't know how to test the processor.

user1397
October 19th, 2006, 09:58 PM
When I actually try to encode an avi file, my machine locks up at various points of the process. :(yep, just like mssever said, sometimes hardware is just incompatible. maybe u'r just out of luck this time...but maybe not, who knows?:-k

Big Fish
October 20th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I have 4 sticks of 256Mb. When I ran the test the first time I got three errors in about three hours. I removed the two newest sticks and ran the test again and didn't get any errors.

Here are the results from the original test that I did: View Image (http://www.lasikforbill.com/memory.jpg)

I tried to encode a video again and it seemed to go all the way but it said there was an error. I'll try it again and post the error message.

Big Fish
October 21st, 2006, 02:34 AM
I give up. It locked up at the "probing" part again, with the good memory. :(

user1397
October 23rd, 2006, 04:31 PM
I give up. It locked up at the "probing" part again, with the good memory. :(it just sounds like you are one of the very few unlucky people with your hardware. sorry man, i wish i could help you out here. :(

user1397
October 23rd, 2006, 04:33 PM
***EDIT: Alrite, i have finally updated the guide, now it only has the "new" guide, not the old conventional guide, because i feel that my script is quite stable. But of course, if there are any errors, please feel free to ask me here on this thread, or u can PM me, or you can ask the tovid forums people (the link is on the guide itself, at the bottom).

mssever
October 24th, 2006, 04:33 AM
chmod +x installtovid.sh
./installtovid.sh<snip>
chmod +x removetovid.sh
./removetovid.sh
For a more foolproof command, try this:
chmod +x installtovid.sh && ./installtovid.sh and
chmod +x removetovid.sh && ./removetovid.sh
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------These separators cause a lot of horizontal scrolling on my 1024x768 screen. This makes it really annoying to try to read the howto. Please use shorter lines, or do something like
- - - - - - - - (note the spaces), or better yet, remove them entirely and use headings in a large font instead. (BTW, the majority of computer users use 1024x768 and most inexpensive LCD displays--including laptops--are only designed to run at 1024x768.)

wolf202
October 24th, 2006, 07:53 AM
works great but a 700 xvid file comes out to 4.8 gigs is there an option to compress?

biff
October 24th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Has anyone experienced ac3 2 channel output on all avi conversions? I've been using the tovid cli with -pal -wide -ffmpeg (and without ffmpeg) and every time I get ac3 2 channel with no option to select 5.1 on the dvd player.

Am I missing something here?

user1397
October 24th, 2006, 08:37 PM
For a more foolproof command, try this:
chmod +x installtovid.sh && ./installtovid.sh and
chmod +x removetovid.sh && ./removetovid.shThese separators cause a lot of horizontal scrolling on my 1024x768 screen. This makes it really annoying to try to read the howto. Please use shorter lines, or do something like
- - - - - - - - (note the spaces), or better yet, remove them entirely and use headings in a large font instead. (BTW, the majority of computer users use 1024x768 and most inexpensive LCD displays--including laptops--are only designed to run at 1024x768.)hmm, your suggestions look pretty good, i forgot about resolution problems. i'll edit the howto in a bit

user1397
October 24th, 2006, 09:05 PM
works great but a 700 xvid file comes out to 4.8 gigs is there an option to compress?
did you delete previous encoded video folders and files, before you began to encode the new one? you have to erase everything in the directory where you encode stuff, or else, videos build up on each other, and you'll get bigger files.

TooRight
October 24th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Greattt tutorial!! I tested it last night on converting an avi... was a lil freaked out by the file size increase, but i can deal with that. I didn't burn it however because the conversion changed the resolution and made the movie look like you were viewing it from some crazed "looking down on everything" angle. It seemed to squish everything up from side to side, making everything seem extremely tall and skinny. Is there anything I can edit that will keep my wide screen movies wide screen?

user1397
October 25th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Greattt tutorial!! I tested it last night on converting an avi... was a lil freaked out by the file size increase, but i can deal with that. I didn't burn it however because the conversion changed the resolution and made the movie look like you were viewing it from some crazed "looking down on everything" angle. It seemed to squish everything up from side to side, making everything seem extremely tall and skinny. Is there anything I can edit that will keep my wide screen movies wide screen?when you were choosing the options for the video, did you choose widescreen? (default is 4:3 ratio)

PapaWiskas
October 25th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Greattt tutorial!! I tested it last night on converting an avi... was a lil freaked out by the file size increase, but i can deal with that. I didn't burn it however because the conversion changed the resolution and made the movie look like you were viewing it from some crazed "looking down on everything" angle. It seemed to squish everything up from side to side, making everything seem extremely tall and skinny. Is there anything I can edit that will keep my wide screen movies wide screen?

Go into the whatevernameyouchose.xml file created for dvdauthor and I added the line after <titles>:

I am not reading through this whole thread to tell if you are using GUI, which I dont use...or command line, which I do use.

The above edit will make sure your widescreen aspect ratio will hold true on widescreen tvs, and on standard tvs you will have the black bars above and below.

user1397
October 25th, 2006, 03:32 AM
Go into the whatevernameyouchose.xml file created for dvdauthor and I added the line after <titles>:

I am not reading through this whole thread to tell if you are using GUI, which I dont use...or command line, which I do use.

The above edit will make sure your widescreen aspect ratio will hold true on widescreen tvs, and on standard tvs you will have the black bars above and below.ah, i didn't know the fix was that simple. thanks man, now i know that for the future.

PapaWiskas
October 25th, 2006, 03:59 AM
ah, i didn't know the fix was that simple. thanks man, now i know that for the future.

No problem erikdude...glad to help.:mrgreen:

user1397
October 27th, 2006, 10:42 PM
***EDIT: updated the guide again, this time i made a zip file containg the install and removal scripts. i thought it was easier, plus, to gt it you have to become a member! (it's an attachment)

user1397
October 28th, 2006, 07:44 AM
***EDIT AGAIN: modified the script; now i finally included the source tarball of tovid, instead of deb packages, it's just cleaner (and a lot easier to write in my script:))

nightjar
October 28th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Excellent !!!
In other way: do you know how how to add/ paste subtitles at this DVD format?

nightjar
October 28th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Excellent !!!
In other way: do you know how to add/ paste subtitles at this DVD format?

tzulberti
October 28th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I am getting the following message when trying to open tovid:
/usr/local/bin/tovid-init: 299: Syntax error: Bad substitution

user1397
October 28th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Excellent !!!
In other way: do you know how to add/ paste subtitles at this DVD format?nope, i don't know how to do that, sorry!

user1397
October 28th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I am getting the following message when trying to open tovid:
/usr/local/bin/tovid-init: 299: Syntax error: Bad substitutioni know the exact fix for this. actually, this is a little "bug" of tovid-0.28, only happens in edgy, and it only affects the command line version of tovid. when i log into ubuntu (im on windows now) i'll tell you how to fix this.

EDIT: okay im logged into ubuntu now. what you have to do is, type in a terminal:
gksudo gedit /usr/local/bin/tovid now, do you see the first line? it starts with #!/bin/sh right? change that first line to #!/usr/bin/env bash , save it and close gedit, and it should work.

also, if you would like to use the other command line scripts that came with tovid, do the same thing as with the tovid script above, but just change the name accordingly. All of the scripts are: idvid, makedvd, makemenu, makeslides, makexml, postproc, todisc, and tovid. All of these scripts are located in /usr/local/bin. So for example you would type:
gksudo gedit /usr/local/bin/makemenuand edit the first line exactly how I explained for tovid.

this little "bug" is already on the tovid website: http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Common_t...h_.28Ubuntu.29 (http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Common_tovid_problems#.2Fbin.2Fsh_link_doesn.27t_p oint_to_bash_.28Ubuntu.29)

tzulberti
October 31st, 2006, 03:19 AM
Thanks a lot, that solved my problem..
:D :D

johnward
November 2nd, 2006, 10:44 PM
hi erik1397,
Downloaded your scripts - thanks a lot.

There is a minor error in your script. You need to cd .. before the line

'Moving the tovid icon to the correct folder.'

The icon, desktop, and mkiso script files are in the parent directory and script is running inside tovid-0.28 directory at that point.

John

user1397
November 3rd, 2006, 12:32 AM
hi erik1397,
Downloaded your scripts - thanks a lot.

There is a minor error in your script. You need to cd .. before the line

'Moving the tovid icon to the correct folder.'

The icon, desktop, and mkiso script files are in the parent directory and script is running inside tovid-0.28 directory at that point.

John
i'll get on this ASAP, not ubuntu right now, but i will be later. thanks for pointing this out.

lime4x4
November 3rd, 2006, 06:32 PM
fresh install of edgy.The script seems to have worked.Well it did install tovid but when i try to make a dvd from a movie i get an error about an error has occured while encoding here is the log. But i don't c any errors

makemenu -ntsc -dvd -align northwest -textcolor "rgb(255,255,255)" -highlightcolor "rgb(255,255,0)" -selectcolor "rgb(255,0,0)" -font "Default" "super.mpg" -out "/tmp/Untitled_menu_1"
------------------------
tovid -overwrite -ntsc -dvd -full -in "/home/john/Desktop/movie/super.mpg" -out "/tmp/super.mpg.tovid_encoded"
------------------------
makexml -dvd -overwrite -menu "/tmp/Untitled_menu_1.mpg" "/tmp/super.mpg.tovid_encoded.mpg" -out "/tmp/Untitled_disc"
------------------------
Running command: makemenu -ntsc -dvd -align northwest -textcolor "rgb(255,255,255)" -highlightcolor "rgb(255,255,0)" -selectcolor "rgb(255,0,0)" -font "Default" "super.mpg" -out "/tmp/Untitled_menu_1"
Running command: tovid -overwrite -ntsc -dvd -full -in "/home/john/Desktop/movie/super.mpg" -out "/tmp/super.mpg.tovid_encoded"
Running command: makexml -dvd -overwrite -menu "/tmp/Untitled_menu_1.mpg" "/tmp/super.mpg.tovid_encoded.mpg" -out "/tmp/Untitled_disc"

I also get this error when starting tovidgui from the command line

john@john-edgy:~$ tovidgui

(python:6926): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

(python:6926): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

user1397
November 3rd, 2006, 10:00 PM
fresh install of edgy.The script seems to have worked.Well it did install tovid but when i try to make a dvd from a movie i get an error about an error has occured while encoding here is the log. But i don't c any errors

makemenu -ntsc -dvd -align northwest -textcolor "rgb(255,255,255)" -highlightcolor "rgb(255,255,0)" -selectcolor "rgb(255,0,0)" -font "Default" "super.mpg" -out "/tmp/Untitled_menu_1"
------------------------
tovid -overwrite -ntsc -dvd -full -in "/home/john/Desktop/movie/super.mpg" -out "/tmp/super.mpg.tovid_encoded"
------------------------
makexml -dvd -overwrite -menu "/tmp/Untitled_menu_1.mpg" "/tmp/super.mpg.tovid_encoded.mpg" -out "/tmp/Untitled_disc"
------------------------
Running command: makemenu -ntsc -dvd -align northwest -textcolor "rgb(255,255,255)" -highlightcolor "rgb(255,255,0)" -selectcolor "rgb(255,0,0)" -font "Default" "super.mpg" -out "/tmp/Untitled_menu_1"
Running command: tovid -overwrite -ntsc -dvd -full -in "/home/john/Desktop/movie/super.mpg" -out "/tmp/super.mpg.tovid_encoded"
Running command: makexml -dvd -overwrite -menu "/tmp/Untitled_menu_1.mpg" "/tmp/super.mpg.tovid_encoded.mpg" -out "/tmp/Untitled_disc"

I also get this error when starting tovidgui from the command line

john@john-edgy:~$ tovidgui

(python:6926): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",so what happens afer those commands are run? like what happens next? or does it just hang?

and when you open tovidgui from the terminal, does it still open ok and look ok?

user1397
November 3rd, 2006, 10:06 PM
Excellent !!!
In other way: do you know how to add/ paste subtitles at this DVD format?
the instructions for this are here: http://tovid.sourceforge.net/manpages/tovid.html#toc9

meaning, you have to run tovid from the command line. if you live in the us, and if you have a widescreen tv, then you would probably just do
tovid -wide -subtitle FILE -in movie.avi -out movie_encodedwhere FILE is your subtitle file, and movie is your original avi file. you have to have a subtitle file for this to work, and you can't turn them off when you're watching the movie.

lime4x4
November 3rd, 2006, 11:25 PM
yes it opens and looks ok
when i hit the start encode button it pops about it incountered an error while encoding but i can't find an error log anywhere

lime4x4
November 4th, 2006, 12:40 AM
ok i think i found the probelm.For some reason removetovid.sh,mkiso,installtovid.sh are installed on my desktop
Which folders do they belong in?

skydivingbiker
November 4th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Im no Linux master but... have you searched for libtovid in any of the package installers? (Synaptic)

IM new to Ubuntu, but most of my errors are caused because I need special do-hickeys installed.

user1397
November 4th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Im no Linux master but... have you searched for libtovid in any of the package installers? (Synaptic)

IM new to Ubuntu, but most of my errors are caused because I need special do-hickeys installed.libtovid does not exist in the ubuntu repositories. what little do-hickeys do you need? what problems have made you install more dependencies, and which dependencies?

i need more info!

fatboysmith
November 5th, 2006, 04:44 AM
i know the exact fix for this. actually, this is a little bug of the 0.28 version, only happens in edgy i think, and it only affects the command line version of tovid. when i log into ubuntu (im on windows now) i'll tell you how to fix this.

EDIT: okay im logged into ubuntu now. what you have to do is, type in a terminal:
gksudo gedit /usr/local/bin/tovid now, do you see the first line? it starts with like #!/bin/sh or something? change that first line to #!/usr/bin/env bash , save it and close gedit, and it should work.

Dude! That is great. You should send this to the ToVid folk(s) and ask them to add it to the installation portion of the website.
Thanks

Dennis

user1397
November 5th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Dude! That is great. You should send this to the ToVid folk(s) and ask them to add it to the installation portion of the website.
Thanks

Dennisedit: this already exists: http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Common_tovid_problems#.2Fbin.2Fsh_link_doesn.27t_p oint_to_bash_.28Ubuntu.29

rado_london
November 5th, 2006, 07:07 PM
I have a problem. When I click "Start encoding" I get the following message:

Error(s) occurred during encoding. If you want to
help improve this software, please file a bug report
containing a copy of the output log. Unfortunately,
this also means you won't be able to continue with
creating your disc. Sorry for the inconvenience!

I also attach a screenshot.

Help me please.

user1397
November 5th, 2006, 10:28 PM
I have a problem. When I click "Start encoding" I get the following message:

Error(s) occurred during encoding. If you want to
help improve this software, please file a bug report
containing a copy of the output log. Unfortunately,
this also means you won't be able to continue with
creating your disc. Sorry for the inconvenience!I also attach a screenshot.

Help me please.this might just be one of the times when the tovid gui is too buggy. you can try the command line if you wish, i can guide you. first i need some info so that you can make the correct type of dvd.

first of all, what continent do you live on? (this will determine wheher you need NTSC or PAL format)

do you have a regular tv (4:3 ratio) or a widescreen tv (16:9)?

how big (in GB) is your original avi file?

rado_london
November 6th, 2006, 01:04 AM
this might just be one of the times when the tovid gi is too buggy. you can try the command line if you wish, i can guide you. first i need some info so that you can make the correct type of dvd.

first of all, what continent do you live on? (this will determine wheher you need NTSC or PAL format)

do you have a regular tv (4:3 ratio) or a widescreen tv (16:9)?

how big (in GB) is your original avi file?

I live in UK and AFAIK the format should be PAL. I would like to watch it on widescreen TV. The original size of the AVI file is 1.2GB. I would also like to add a wallpaper to the menu. The wallpaper is located in /home/rado/Desktop/Godfather.jpg. I would also like to add a background sound for the menu which is in /home/rado/godfather-theme.mp3. I also have subtitles in SUB format but I am not sure if I can add them. If I can it would be great. Thank you very much indeed.

user1397
November 6th, 2006, 04:45 AM
I live in UK and AFAIK the format should be PAL. I would like to watch it on widescreen TV. The original size of the AVI file is 1.2GB. I would also like to add a wallpaper to the menu. The wallpaper is located in /home/rado/Desktop/Godfather.jpg. I would also like to add a background sound for the menu which is in /home/rado/godfather-theme.mp3. I also have subtitles in SUB format but I am not sure if I can add them. If I can it would be great. Thank you very much indeed.im guessing this is the command you want for your video:

tovid -pal -wide -quality 7 -discsize 4380 -subtitles FILE -in YourVideo.avi -out YourVideo_encoded (replace FILE, and both "YourVideo" )

for your menu, try:

makemenu -pal -background IMAGE -audio FILE "Title" -out MainMenu (replacing IMAGE, FILE, and the Title to whatever you want, respectively.)

user1397
November 7th, 2006, 01:15 AM
ok i think i found the probelm.For some reason removetovid.sh,mkiso,installtovid.sh are installed on my desktop
Which folders do they belong in?they dont belong in any folder. mkiso should be in /usr/bin (if its not, use this command to get it there--
cd ~/Desktop
sudo mv mkiso /usr/bin/
installtovid.sh and removetovid.sh can be anywhere.

rado_london
November 7th, 2006, 01:33 AM
im guessing this is the command you want for your video:

tovid -pal -wide -quality 7 -discsize 4380 -subtitles FILE -in YourVideo.avi -out YourVideo_encoded (replace FILE, and both "YourVideo" )

for your menu, try:

makemenu -pal -background IMAGE -audio FILE "Title" -out MainMenu (replacing IMAGE, FILE, and the Title to whatever you want, respectively.)

Great I just finished watching The Godfather on my tv. Thanks again.

user1397
November 7th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Great I just finished watching The Godfather on my tv. Thanks again.wait, so all my commands worked out for you???

user1397
November 7th, 2006, 01:42 AM
***New Tovid version out - - - 0.29
Will update this guide soon.

rado_london
November 7th, 2006, 01:45 AM
wait, so all my commands worked out for you???

The menu one didnt work as I got the line 299 error. I changed the tovid-init file (edited the first line), but I still had that error. Then I realised I dont need the menu and skiped it. And it worked beautifully:-D

Also to make mkiso worked I used:

sudo ./mkiso and the other commands

user1397
November 7th, 2006, 01:47 AM
The menu one didnt work as I got the line 299 error. I changed the tovid-init file (edited the first line), but I still had that error. Then I realised I dont need the menu and skiped it. And it worked beautifully:-D

Also to make mkiso worked I used:

sudo ./mkiso and the other commandsawesome. i just learned how to handle the tovid command line recently, glad i could help someone with it. weird command you used - - ./mkiso :-k o well, if it worked, then what the hell...

btw, to make makemenu work, you should do the same thing to it as i suggested for the tovid script - - change that first line.

actually, i'll edit that post so that it makes more sense.

user1397
November 8th, 2006, 04:11 AM
***Updated the script. New tovid version included, and fixd a tiny bug involving cd'ing before moving the extra items. thanks johnward!

user1397
November 10th, 2006, 12:52 AM
***I updated the guide yesterday. I decided that that whole zip file thingie didn't really work too well, so I decided to go back to the old way of doing things. Now you just have to download the script, give it exec permissions, and run it. no more messing with little zip files.

user1397
November 11th, 2006, 02:32 AM
***Updated the guide again, was a little confusing and wordy.

user1397
November 11th, 2006, 07:53 AM
***Yet another update. This time, I updated the scripts, because it was basically useless and did not work. Now it should work pretty well. The only note to take here is that i'm using checkinstall to make a deb package from the tarball, so you have to just go with the defaults during the checkinstall installation. as soon as the 0.29 ubuntu deb gets put up on the tovid site, i'll switch to that instead.

user1397
November 14th, 2006, 11:56 PM
***Update, though kinda minor, it is easier. I had the main tovid guy upload my checkinstall-made tovid deb package to the main tovid site, so the script now just downloads a deb package, and hence is easier to install.

user1397
November 15th, 2006, 03:56 AM
alright i realize that the tovid GUI isn't working for u all, its just that the new tovid version (0.29) needs one more dependency, so I will add that when I can.

user1397
November 17th, 2006, 01:30 AM
***got it fixed. script should work now. btw, there's also a new gui called the todisc gui, which can create a DVD with animated menus. it is not supposed to replace the tovid gui, its complimentary to it.

the command for it is: todiscgui

EDIT: actually, i just found out that the todiscgui is not quite functional yet....but they're working hard on it.

tzulberti
November 17th, 2006, 01:43 AM
I reccomend a program called DeVeDe (apt-get install DeVeDe vcdimage)

user1397
November 17th, 2006, 02:08 AM
I reccomend a program called DeVeDe (apt-get install DeVeDe vcdimage)actually, i've tried devede, and though it might work for some people, it did not work for me at all. plus, tovid's capabilities are nearly limitless compared with devede.

breakerfall
November 20th, 2006, 03:23 PM
hiya,

is there any way to easily change the directory that tovid is using as a temp? it seems to want to create a working directory in my homedir, where i dont have a huge amount of space. i have changed the dir for the output file, but i dont see an option to change the working dir...

any ideas?

user1397
November 20th, 2006, 09:16 PM
hiya,

is there any way to easily change the directory that tovid is using as a temp? it seems to want to create a working directory in my homedir, where i dont have a huge amount of space. i have changed the dir for the output file, but i dont see an option to change the working dir...

any ideas?you're using the gui or the command line? (and also, what directory are you proposing for your working dir? )

PapaWiskas
November 21st, 2006, 03:18 AM
hiya,

any ideas?

using nautilus or thunar or whatever your file manager is, go into your hidden directory named .tovid

inside there is a preferences file...open with a text editor....there you will see what you need to edit for working directory and output directory etc....

the example looks as follows...

# tovid preferences
# Configures working/output directories for tovid
#WORKING_DIR=/tmp
#OUTPUT_DIR=/video/outfiles

get rid of the # and set your directories.

Good luck.

breakerfall
November 21st, 2006, 01:48 PM
using nautilus or thunar or whatever your file manager is, go into your hidden directory named .tovid

inside there is a preferences file...open with a text editor....there you will see what you need to edit for working directory and output directory etc....

the example looks as follows...

# tovid preferences
# Configures working/output directories for tovid
#WORKING_DIR=/tmp
#OUTPUT_DIR=/video/outfiles

get rid of the # and set your directories.

Good luck.

awesome, that worked...

thanks!

PapaWiskas
November 21st, 2006, 06:07 PM
awesome, that worked...

thanks!

Glad to have helped.:-D