PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No UI/Desktop (No Unity) after boot (Ubuntu 11.04)

asad.bukhari
September 5th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I was messing with compiz one day. When I started my computer there was no desktop display. The computer starts, I log in, the keyring asks for my passwords, but there is no interface, just my background.

I'm not ubuntu-savy and need help fixing this...

e79
September 5th, 2011, 04:59 PM
You might want to reset Unity to its default state. Have a look here :

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/how-to-reset-unity-launcher-icons-or.html

http://askubuntu.com/questions/17610/how-do-i-reset-my-unity-configuration

Hope this helps

asad.bukhari
September 8th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I used the links.

First, I simply tried to reset unity using the "unity --reset" code.
It did not work.

I then tried to use "unity --reset-icons" code which also did not work.

Lastly, I used "gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1" and "unity --reset."
This did not work either.

After entering these codes into the terminal, it starts running processes but they usually get stuck. After initializing several options (which end in ...done) the terminal stops at "Setting Update 'run_command_terminal_key'" and "Setting Update 'fullscreen_visual_bell.'" After waiting several minutes, I lose patience and close the terminal (it notifies me that a process is still running and advises against closing it, but the process never finishes so I close it anyway). I do not know what else to do, I have not interface except for the icons on my desktop.

Frogs Hair
September 8th, 2011, 04:54 PM
One more thing to try would be to run the unity reset command from recovery console . It is located on the session list below the greeter box on the login screen .

If you see an output in the terminal after entering the command pay attention to what it says . If there is no output try again. Reboot after entering the command and select Ubuntu from the session list prior to login.

asad.bukhari
September 8th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I tried what you said. But same situation, it does not move past those two updates I mentioned in my previous post. How long should I have to wait for them to complete? Should the process be quick or take long?

asad.bukhari
September 9th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Well, ubuntu still does not display the unity bar or the top panel.. Is there anythign else I can do so that I may use it again?