PDA

View Full Version : "dotted quad"?

t0p
September 5th, 2011, 02:49 PM
In a report about a DNS attack (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/sep/05/turkish-hacker-group-diverts-users) by Turkish group Turk Guvenligi, the Guardian uses the expression "dotted quad" to describe ip addresses.

I've never come across this term before. Is it really used much? I've always called an ip address as an "ip address". What do you call it?

Bachstelze
September 5th, 2011, 02:51 PM
IP addresses can be written in a lot of ways. The "dotted quad" notation is the most common, but in networking contexts when you have to specify which notation to use, "dotted quad" is the usual name for it.

EDIT: Now, "dotted quad" is not a synonym for "IP address", so the article is wrong. But it's a common term nonetheless.

haqking
September 5th, 2011, 02:52 PM
In a report about a DNS attack (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/sep/05/turkish-hacker-group-diverts-users) by Turkish group Turk Guvenligi, the Guardian uses the expression "dotted quad" to describe ip addresses.

I've never come across this term before. Is it really used much? I've always called an ip address as an "ip address". What do you call it?

i use it all the time.

dotted decimal
dotted quad
quad dot

etc

oh and its used to descibe ipv4 not ip addresses in general obviously

haqking
September 5th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Edit: weird double post

Johnb0y
September 5th, 2011, 02:54 PM
what the fudge...lol!

i call it IP... oh how boring am i...lol!

Bachstelze
September 5th, 2011, 02:58 PM
For example 213.155.154.113 in dotted quads and 0xd59b9a71 in hex are the same IP address.

t0p
September 5th, 2011, 03:07 PM
For example 213.155.154.113 in dotted quads and 0xd59b9a71 in hex are the same IP address.

I've read about the use of hex ip addresses before, but I've never encountered it myself - probably because I don't know that much about networking. But "dotted quad" is an entirely new expression to me. I guess it shows how little I know about computing and how much there is for me still to learn. I'm gonna be a n00b til the day I die... :(

haqking
September 5th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I've read about the use of hex ip addresses before, but I've never encountered it myself - probably because I don't know that much about networking. But "dotted quad" is an entirely new expression to me. I guess it shows how little I know about computing and how much there is for me still to learn. I'm gonna be a n00b til the day I die... :(

well in the end it all comes down to binary.
in 32 bit binary 11010101100110111001101001110001

or in dotted quad 11010101.10011011.10011010.01110001

though any number can be converted to hex, i suspect the hex addresses to which you refer is ipv6 which is represented as a hex address an not a dotted decimal like its ipv4 counterpart, hence dotted quad pertains to ipv4, ipv6 i suppose you could call a coloned oct ;-)

ipv4 32 bit
ipv6 128 bit

forrestcupp
September 5th, 2011, 03:13 PM
So now we have another one to add to the list.

Is a quad a four wheeler, a four core processor, a dorm room for 4 residents, 4 guns in a single mount, a four of a kind in poker, a group of muscles in your thigh, or an IP address?

haqking
September 5th, 2011, 03:16 PM

Is a quad a four wheeler, a four core processor, a dorm room for 4 residents, 4 guns in a single mount, a four of a kind in poker, a group of muscles in your thigh, or an IP address?

well none of them apart from a IP address is dotted ;-)

Oxwivi
September 5th, 2011, 03:17 PM

Quad means four, so it all depends on what comes before or after the word...

Johnb0y
September 5th, 2011, 03:19 PM

thats true! :P

forrestcupp
September 5th, 2011, 03:20 PM

There are a lot of things that are just called "quad". If I simply said "I have a couple of quads", it could mean a lot of things.

haqking
September 5th, 2011, 03:21 PM
There are a lot of things that are just called "quad". If I simply said "I have a quad", it could mean a lot of things.

yeah and IP address doesnt come under that banner, it is never called a quad

it is called a dotted quad ;-)

Johnb0y
September 5th, 2011, 03:23 PM
yeah and IP address doesnt come under that banner, it is never called a quad

it is called a dotted quad ;-)

well dotted... sorry i mean spotted. :P ..... :KS !!!

t0p
September 5th, 2011, 04:12 PM

When I was at an old-fashioned English grammar school, the quad was the equivalent to what at primary school we called the "playground" (because it was a four-sided area, or "quadrangle"). Poker, guns and motor vehicles would have been frowned on in the quad. But the other stuff would have been ok, I guess.