PDA

View Full Version : Is this the worst broadband service?

Linux_junkie
September 5th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I'm currently using a mobile broadband service here in the UK and out of curiosity I wanted to see what the download speed was like. So I went to a web site to check its speed. Here is its result:

mmsmc
September 5th, 2011, 10:51 AM
heres a comparison, and were having bad weather so its slow tonight

haqking
September 5th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I'm currently using a mobile broadband service here in the UK and out of curiosity I wanted to see what the download speed was like. So I went to a web site to check its speed. Here is its result:

about average for a mobile service.

I have a 3 dongle and can get up 7 sometimes.

But i never really hope for much on a mobile service

doobrie
September 5th, 2011, 10:56 AM
That is quite ropey, but for mobile broadband its not bad I suppose.

I used to have a mobile broadband dongle that would only ever connect at GPRS speeds and never 3G. What's that about !

haqking
September 5th, 2011, 11:37 AM
That is quite ropey, but for mobile broadband its not bad I suppose.

I used to have a mobile broadband dongle that would only ever connect at GPRS speeds and never 3G. What's that about !

Depends if there is a 3G cell close by.

Where i live alot of proividers dont supply 3G, but 3 do, O2 and Vodafone and Orange dont where i am ;-)

As for 2M download, think yourself lucky, my buddy round the corner has a cbale connection which is only set at 2M ;-)

spynappels
September 5th, 2011, 02:05 PM
That's not really too bad at all for mobile broadband, I guess it depends on what your signal strength is, whether any data optimisation is taking place, and even what version of the dialler software you have, not to mention the make of dongle/modem.

Mobile broadband cannot be measured in the same way as fixed line, the variables are so different, it will never be a fair comparison.

JustinR
September 5th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Alongside our normal broadband, we also have a Verizon 4G connection.

It's around 4.5 MPBS download, and 2 MPBS upload, which is pretty fast for a cellular network - but the quality of the broadband (which SpeedTest.net can also tell) gets only a D- (so big online games and such don't work)

sanderd17
September 5th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I only have 2MBPS download for my normal broadband.