PDA

View Full Version : help with some basic python

Beauxesprits13
September 5th, 2011, 10:23 AM
i'm relatively new to python and haven't fully got the hang of it yet. below is a function from some code that I have been writing. however I am snagged on a problem that Ii can't fathom a remedy for and was hoping someone could guide me as to how i might negate the issue.
the context of this code is a calculator of % frequency of some values. "distro" is a large dictionary of integers and their frequencies.

However the output insists that the "data" object i created was a NoneType.
what is a noneType? why is there one here? can i get around them?

def print_stats(distro):
L = distro['total']
del distro['total']
data = [(v, k) for k, v in distro.items()]
data = sorted(data)
data = data.reverse()
data = data[:10] # This returns nonetype is not subscriptable

names=[]; numbers=[]
for k, v in data: # This returns nonetype is not iterable
names.append(str(int(v)).center(8))
numbers.append(k)

for x in range(len(numbers)):
z = (numbers[x]/L)*100
z = str(round(z, 2))
z = z +"%"
numbers[x] = z.center(7)thankyou for any help :P

nvteighen
September 5th, 2011, 12:09 PM
def print_stats(distro):
L = distro['total']
del distro['total']
data = [(v, k) for k, v in distro.items()]
data = sorted(data)
data = data.reverse()
data = data[:10] # This returns nonetype is not subscriptable

names=[]; numbers=[]
for k, v in data: # This returns nonetype is not iterable
names.append(str(int(v)).center(8))
numbers.append(k)

for x in range(len(numbers)):
z = (numbers[x]/L)*100
z = str(round(z, 2))
z = z +"%"
numbers[x] = z.center(7)

The problem is this line:

data = data.reverse()

The reverse method works "in place" or "destructively", meaning that it actually modifies the original list forever. This makes it unnecessary to return the reversed list, because data itself is the reversed list.

<rant>
Yes, for someone like me, who comes from Lisp is used to Lisp and functional programming, only having a destructive list reversal function makes me really mad. There should be a functional, non-destructive version which worked like you wanted.
</rant>

Where does the NoneType come from? Well, data.reverse doesn't return anything, so data becomes None... None is Python's way to say that something has no value nor type and it's what you get when you get a value from a function that returns nothing.

So, don't reassign data at that line. Just do data.reverse() and that's it.

EDIT: For some reason, I wrote that I came from Lisp. No, that's not true: I learned Lisp after learning Python. Corrected, for factual accuracy :)

StephenF
September 5th, 2011, 01:25 PM
The problem is this line:

data = data.reverse()

<rant>
Yes, for someone like me, who comes from Lisp is used to Lisp and functional programming, only having a destructive list reversal function makes me really mad. There should be a functional, non-destructive version which worked like you wanted.
</rant>
Since reversed() works on any iterable the provision of a non in-place method for list in particular is unnecessary.

newlist = list(reversed(oldlist))

Beauxesprits13
September 5th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I ended up swapping that line for
data = data[::-1]

Thanks for the explanation though for a while I thought i'd never use reversed().

nvteighen
September 5th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Since reversed() works on any iterable the provision of a non in-place method for list in particular is unnecessary.

newlist = list(reversed(oldlist))

Oh, didn't know that one, though it's a bit cumbersome... I'd prefer something more direct, but well it's better than nothing :)