PDA

View Full Version : Figured out a way to kick the Flash video habit.

ninjaaron
September 5th, 2011, 05:45 AM
I discovered this firefox add-on, FlashVideoReplacer. It takes flash videos and allows you to open the stream with another plugin, an external player, or download them. It works on most of the major sites, but not some of the smaller ones, so if you watch a lot of television shows on some of the more obscure sites, you may have problems. I've taken to downloading my shows via torrent, so it's not an issue for me.

It seems to stream slightly more slowly than with flash, but you can chose to force HTML5 if it's available, which is fast. Course, downloading them with an accelerator is always the fastest anyway.

Before anyone asks, "why would you ever do this?" there are two reasons. One is ideological; to only use FOSS software. For many of us, the Flash plugin is the last piece of proprietary software we're using. The other reason is that flash is really horrible on system resources, takes a lot of processor power, and therefore slows everything else down and uses up battery very quickly.

If you choose to do this, you will probably want to install a new media plugin for your browser (unless you want to watch everything in an external browser). I'd suggest gecko-mediaplayer.

sudo apt-get install gecko-mediaplayer

beew
September 5th, 2011, 06:39 AM
I have been using FVR since 10.04 basically to reduce cpu load on sites such as Youtube, it is very good if you only need flash for watching Youtube or Vimeo videos (so I can have 720p playback on an old laptop that with flash can only play up to 480p) HTML5 is actually almost as bad as flash as far as cpu is concerned on old hardware like that, so FVR is quite wonderful. But I wouldn't say you can do without flash as wonderful as it is, unfortunately flash is a lot more widespread than a few video streaming sites that FVR supports.

doorknob60
September 5th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Yeah I just started using that addon a few weeks ago (after a youtube update broke the greasemonkey script that I used to use), and it works great. I can't use Flash without having screen tearing, which bugs the crap out of me, so I love being able to use Mplayer, which uses basically no CPU because of VDPAU, and is tear-free :)

smellyman
September 5th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Made by forum member lovinglinux.

He makes great add ons for FF

ninjaaron
September 5th, 2011, 11:01 AM
He also does flash-got? It's one of my all-time favorites!

lovinglinux
September 5th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks guys for the comments.

He also does flash-got? It's one of my all-time favorites!

Nope. The most popular add-ons I make are FlashVideoReplacer and Flash-Aid.