PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HP Pavillion dv6000 issues

d00derino
September 5th, 2011, 05:40 AM
I've recently decided to dual-boot Windows/Ubuntu on my HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop, but the graphics are all fudged up when I try to install Ubuntu.

I don't know if it's a graphic driver issue or not, but the screen has lines across it and the resolution is way off, and also repeats the screen once or twice (halving the screen). Are there any issues known about this? I did try a search before, so please don't kill me if I missed something.

d00derino
September 5th, 2011, 04:53 PM
After a good few hours of sleuthing I found a more elegant description of my problem:

Iíve been having fun with my revisit to the linux OS. It has been a good 5 years since I ran a *nix for my laptop/desktop environment at home. So far so good, Iím playing with a Guruplug, Dockstar and a couple laptops. This post is about my recent trouble getting ubuntu 10.4 or 10.10 working on my HP DV6000 laptop.

From what I see this works just fine for most people. Though I noticed a few people with the same problems I am having and they seem to have no resolution.

Upon booting with the standard install CD when it attempts to register the graphics card the display becomes out of whack. Typically displaying three images overlaying itself. I tried the alternate install CD in hopes I could maybe select a different video card driver. No dice there but it did allow me to install the OS.

I then hooked up a external monitor (which has a readable image) so I can now boot into the OS. Oddly enough once I get past the login screens and into the actual OS the display becomes readable.

I then got my network connection going and went to perferences -> additional drivers and selected to download and install the NVIDIA graphics driver.

Now I have a nice crisp display and a usable OS.

Does anyone know a way around needing an external monitor?