PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Linux users I need your help

jordanae
September 5th, 2011, 05:31 AM
My local school district is worse at handling money than I am and as a result there's always talk of laying someone or taking one principal and making him work at two schools. This time however they have decided to lay off all unionized secretaries. And even with this going on the Board members are thinking about buying iPads for the students.
So being a nerd who only really knows about things that are done in binary I have decided to try and help them in the only way I can: convince them that Linux would save them money and maybe keep an employee or two.
So I have contacted the Superintendent and the Technology
Service Manager about setting up a meeting and giving them a presentation (made in LibreOffice of course) and then show them what Linux actually looks like and how easy it is to actually use.
Unfortunately presenting information is a downfall of mine and so I'm reaching out to the Ubuntu community to help me out and suggest things to add to my slideshow (or throw it out the window and start from scratch).

Here's the setup I have now:

Slide 1. Introduce myself and explain that I do have some knowledge of what I'm talking about.

Slide 2. Who's Using Linux?
-Anybody who's anybody
--Named some corporations
--You.
//Explain how Linux is everywhere and
//point out that their Android phones
//are running Linux. This points out
//that Linux can be user friendly and
//useful
-Over 80$ of the worlds supercomputers

/*During this slide I would explain that they might not be using supercomputers or server farms, but that Linux is a powerful OS that should be considered*/

Slide 3. Why the Schools Should Implement Linux
-It's free
//I would then elaborate and admit
//that they do need to train their
//employees, but after the initial
//implementation the cost would go
//way down
-User Friendly
-Fast
//Their computers are HORRIBLY slow

Slide 4. Software Alternatives

For this slide I just list a few applications that I would go over when showing them Ubuntu.

Slide 5. Get rid of CITRIX
//Allows students to use the schools
//Windows image to access software
-Free software makes CITRIX an extra expense
-Linux can be put on a flash drive
--Applications and files can also be stored

I also have the slideshow attached if anyone wants a more clear idea of what it looks like and how the information is presented.

Please keep in mind that the topic of this thread is for help in making an argument and not making obvious point about how this will never work.

Thanks for taking a look!

Oh, and sorry for the poor formatting :/

Megaptera
September 5th, 2011, 07:20 AM
For the 'name some corporation' part, here's a useful link. Some big US corps including this quote:
"more than 20,000 Indiana students are now Linux-enabled under a state grant program to roll out low-cost, easy-to-manage workstations." The state's Affordable Classroom Computers for Every Secondary Student program rapidly grew from "24 high schools to 80 high schools" after it became clear that software costs per computer ($100 prior to the migration) could be cut down to $5 using Linux and other open-source software. Districts get to choose which distribution of Linux their schools will run and have considerable control over the implementation."

Link: http://www.focus.com/fyi/50-places-linux-running-you-might-not-expect/

u-noob-tu
September 5th, 2011, 01:51 PM
tell them they wont have to worry about viruses. that always gets peoples attention when i tell them that. that could save them a fortune in tech support.

one thing i would do is to name a big name piece of software like Photoshop or Sony Vegas, or whatever, and then present its free, open source counterpart and demonstrate how it is just as good, if not better than the overpriced proprietary stuff. the best example would have to be Microsoft Office vs. LibreOffice. definitely emphasize that it is 100% Microsoft compatible.

one last thing i might say is that it teaches OS diversity. a broader base of computer knowledge translates to better computer skills.

YesWeCan
September 5th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Just a friendly word of advice because I tried something similar once but on a smaller scale.

Do a trial with one or two staff first. Because although Ubuntu seems to you an I to be easy to use, my experience is it is a steep curve for non-techies and may backfire on you.

I'm not saying don't try it, because saving jobs is a noble cause, but be very careful to have a realistic understanding of the transition required for these folks and make sure your sales pitch properly and realistically addresses all difficulties that may arise.

:)

haqking
September 5th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Great idea and works great on paper. But in my experience this doesnt always work out for the best.

The biggest issue is of familiarity. People are scared of change especially in the way they work, Linux (any distro) is unfamiliar surroundings and often frought with issues which to a experienced user are simple, but to someone from Windows ends in a rant.

The re-training for Sys Administration and User support and time spent on user training can often outweigh the simple Licensing costs of proprietary software.

Hours = $$$ or £££ and loss of productivity, system downtime, training due to lack of familiarity can be immense.

Not a deal breaker but there is a lot to consider that reaches way further than the cost of software vs open source which is cost free.

the TCO is important.

Also remember any compliance issues also, govt regulatory etc. Open source needs to be able to fit within the frameworks.

Also kiosking is gerneally alot easier to do in windows, and common in education environments with solid state and the like. Though similar can be achieved in Linux it is often not as simple to do so depending on the distro

YesWeCan
September 5th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Just to prepare you I'll add some Devil's Advocate comments that you might want to be prepared for. 8-[
Slide 1. Introduce myself and explain that I do have some knowledge of what I'm talking about.

Slide 2. Who's Using Linux?
-Anybody who's anybody
--Named some corporations
--You.
//Explain how Linux is everywhere and
//point out that their Android phones
//are running Linux. This points out
//that Linux can be user friendly and
//useful
-Over 80$ of the worlds supercomputers

/*During this slide I would explain that they might not be using supercomputers or server farms, but that Linux is a powerful OS that should be considered*/
Most organisations use Windows for secretarial work. Some might use Apple. Very few use linux.
Try connecting your Android phone to a linux desktop!!!
Supercomputers are irrelevant to this particular usage model (using this as a persuader will lose you credibility). You need some examples of similar users/organisations using linux successfully.

Slide 3. Why the Schools Should Implement Linux
-It's free
//I would then elaborate and admit
//that they do need to train their
//employees, but after the initial
//implementation the cost would go
//way down
-User Friendly
-Fast
//Their computers are HORRIBLY slow
FREE is a good point.
But if it is free why do the majority use Windows?
I would put BIG EMPHASIS on training employees (see previous post) and make sure the audience believe that you really do understand the challenges here. Not just by wishful thinking but by evidence.

Slide 4. Software Alternatives

For this slide I just list a few applications that I would go over when showing them Ubuntu.

Slide 5. Get rid of CITRIX
//Allows students to use the schools
//Windows image to access software
-Free software makes CITRIX an extra expense
-Linux can be put on a flash drive
--Applications and files can also be stored

I have no experience of this.

Please keep in mind that the topic of this thread is for help in making an argument and not making obvious point about how this will never work.
Your motives are true but please be realistic or you will end up doing more harm than good.

Good luck with it! :)

anaconda
September 5th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Good idea, BUT... I have done something similar on a smaller scale,

The idea was to FIRST move
from MS Office and Outlook
to
Openoffice and thunderbird

and after they would have already been familiar with openoffice and thunderbird we would have changed windows to Ubuntu

But
it never happened! That move was already too much. I couldnt believe it. Openoffice was too difficult for those people. The reason was, that it was different than Word.
Openoffice could do everything they needed but .....

haqking
September 5th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Good idea, BUT... I have done something similar on a smaller scale,

The idea was to FIRST move
from MS Office and Outlook
to
Openoffice and thunderbird

and after they would have already been familiar with openoffice and thunderbird we would have changed windows to Ubuntu

But
it never happened! That move was already too much. I couldnt believe it. Openoffice was too difficult for those people. The reason was, that it was different than Word.
Openoffice could do everything they needed but .....

Exaclty for the most part, though people say it is too difficult, what they mean is unfamiliar.

Change is the only constant though....roll with it, adapt and overcome ;-)

YesWeCan
September 5th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Exaclty for the most part, though people say it is too difficult, what they mean is unfamiliar.
Yes. Learning and change are big factors that are sometimes wrongly blamed on the product itself. But I do think linux software is generally more difficult to use because,
a) there are more choices, more flexibility
b) less homogeneity: with Microsoft different apps tend to play together more consistently and look and feel more consistent.
c) Microsoft software is more forgiving of user mistakes
d) Microsoft is much better documented and supported
e) Working with other people is easier if they use Microsoft and you do too. Otherwise there is the complexity of document interchange
f) OpenOffice is not nearly as easy to use as MS Office and has functionality limitations
g) Windows works with many more peripherals, and usually much better than linux.

Otherwise everyone would be using linux - after all it is FREE! :)

sanderd17
September 5th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Let them try a multiseat computer: http://multiseatcomputer.be/en/multiseat-producten.html

grahammechanical
September 5th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Do not allow the negative experiences of others stop you for doing this but, on the other hand, do not expect success. It is less risky for someone in authority to say no, than to say yes.

Here are some links that you might want to use.

http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/features

http://www.edubuntu.org/screenshots

http://www.ubuntu.com/support/training/course-types

http://www.ubuntu.com/business/case-studies

Edubuntu is a good example of how Ubuntu can be set up for the specific requirements of an educational establishment. Note, the Weblive feature. Get them to try it out over the web.

Draw attention to the school administrative features to school administrators and attention to the teaching tools to those who are teachers.

Those responsible for network maintenance will have different interests to those who are school administrators and teachers.

You need to present different messages to different parts of your audience. You may need to do separate presentations to different groups.

Do not have a long presentation that covers everything. A short presentation at first to get people interested. Then more detailed presentations later if they want more information. Work with the different groups of people.

Do this for your own satisfaction and because you want to help others. Keep a record of what you are doing. It is evidence of your skills and abilities that will be useful in convincing an employer to employ you.

Regards.

Oh, one more thing. You and I might be glad that Linux is do it yourself but business people and those with professional responsibilities are more happy dealing with corporations and companies. They are much happier signing a contract to pay someone else to do the work. This is why I provided a link to what Canonical offers. The people making the decisions might be more comfortable dealing a sales representative than doing it themselves even though it is possible and certainly cheaper.

walt.smith1960
September 5th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Unfamiliarity is the biggest hurdle IMO. I have never used MS Office to any extent. One time I was required to use Word; the file was so poorly constructed that trying to open in any other word processor was a catastrophe. Within a half hour I was looking for a wood chipper into which I would chuck Word and the machine it was on. What supreme frustration!! I'm certain that if I had used Word all through school and/or had formal training as most have I could have coped. If people had 10% of the training and exposure to OpenOffice/LibreOffice as they have had to MS Word, their feelings and opinions might be different. My current needs are modest and Libre Office is more than adequate.

can2002
September 5th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Hi there,

Echoing others, phasing the migration is crucial.

I know a local college that implemented an IP phone system to save money; the thing is they migrated everyone over to PC-based headsets and soft-phones all as part of the same project. However well implemented the back-end may have been, everyone associated the new phone system with the loss of their desk phone and it was a disaster.

I would strongly recommend the approach suggested earlier of moving to Firefox, Libre/Open Office & Thunderbird (again phased) running on Windows. Once people are used to these, a migration to any flavour of Linux will be infinitely less painful.

Cheers,
Chris

el_koraco
September 5th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Most organisations use Windows for secretarial work. Some might use Apple. Very few use linux.

Since they're planning to lay off secretaries, I think the ladies would rather have to learn something new than to find a new job.

MooPi
September 5th, 2011, 03:54 PM
You mentioned that the school system was considering the use of iPads for students. You could do a demonstration of Linux on an inexpensive commodity laptop. There are plenty of cheap laptops for under 300$ that can utilize the speed and virus free environment of Linux. Cost savings over iPad is enormous! Further you could do a side by side of Windows and Linux demonstrating that Linux will run faster and on less system resources. Demos garner more attention than the slickest of slideshows.

YesWeCan
September 5th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Since they're planning to lay off secretaries, I think the ladies would rather have to learn something new than to find a new job.
You would think so. I wonder if the school has other motives to lay off "unionised secretaries".
Thinking about it, you'd have to eliminate an awful lot of Windows licenses to pay for a secretary.

el_koraco
September 5th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I wonder if the school has other motives to lay off "unionised secretaries".

Maybe the chair of the school board has been having trouble with the unions or something. Anyhow, buying a bunch of iPads while cutting jobs borders on criminal negligence.

t0p
September 5th, 2011, 04:52 PM
OP needs to research the subject really thoroughly. Imagine every conceivable question that could be thrown at you, and make sure you can answer it. If you don't know the subject, why should anyone seriously consider what you're saying?

Similarly, rehearse the presentation several times, so you know exactly what you're going to say and do. It looks real bad if you umm and err your way through the thing, and that will affect the audience's perception of your argument.

Run through the presentation on the actual hardware you will be using on the big day. If you're trying to persuade people that Linux is a viable alternative, and then you have problems with compatibility or other functionality, your argument will die there and then. If you can't access the equipment at the venue, bring your own hardware that you know will work. If you don't know for sure that a compatible, working projector will be available or that you can't bring one with you, make sure you print out plenty of hand-outs. But a projector/OHP/very big monitor will trump hand-outs any day. And a laser pointer. Don't forget your laser pointer!

Off Shore
September 5th, 2011, 08:53 PM
First of all of very well done to the OP for the well intentioned practical initiative. You are obviously a decent young man.

Ive been a member of the Teaching profession for more years than I care to remember. During that time Ive often wondered about issues such as funding decisions, and procurement policies. I think I know just a little about schools so perhaps I can be allowed to put my two pennyworth in.

It wont be an easy task to unseat Apple in a school context. I'm sure it can be done but you do need to know the cost saving may be no where near as much as you imagine. Apple offer very good terms to educational establishments. In addition, the range of suitable software available for the Apple range is frankly unmatcheable at the current time.

The other issue is a sad fact of life. Im sorry to have to tell you that even if you persuade the school to move to open source and can find software to meet the curriculum it is extremely unlikely that savings made from the IT budget will be transferred over to a human resource budget. This is likely to be the case no matter how the school is funded.

However, dont be disheartened. Staff such as myself often run extra curricular activities such as computer clubs. This is the ideal opportunity to introduce open source offerings and its my experience that youngsters are very enthusiastic when given the chance to experience different systems. These clubs or societies can be very influential in informing procurement decisions.

Well done and very good luck in your endeavours.

Megaptera
September 6th, 2011, 09:55 PM
As others have said, it won't be easy, but nothing good comes easy! Is there perhaps a Linux User Group (LUG) in your area that could offer some support?

ugm6hr
September 7th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Good luck with your endeavour. I think it's helpful to start any presentation with an introduction / content slide to explain what you are going to be talking about. e.g.

Explain what an OS is
What Linux is
When should Linux be considered
How might it be beneficial

Similarly, a summary slide reiterating the main points at the end while you take questions is sensible.

As for your content - try and focus on the facts that your audience are interested in. It may be tricky, since you have to remember to ensure that both the Superintendent and the IT lead understand the entire presentation.

I'd suggest you either focus on implementation when a planned OS upgrade is planned (e.g. as most XP upgrades are taking place at present), since the retraining cost will be offset by the avoided licenses.
If you want to directly address the iPad issue - then present an alternative. e.g. Linux netbooks etc. Of course - you'll need to research exactly what the iPads are intended for to present a compelling case.
Also - you need to expand on your Citrix argument. I'm also uncertain that using Linux on a USB is a good solution (although a similar setup has been done in a school (http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/application-development/2006/01/18/uk-school-showcases-linux-suite-39247744/)).

Good luck.

KBD47
September 7th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I would think netbooks with keyboards would be way more useful and much cheaper than iPads for students. Dual-boot machines could help in transitioning people to Linux while providing a safety blanket by letting them hold on to Windows for the transition.
KBD47

MG&TL
September 7th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Show the software that edubuntu includes for free.

Be careful-pc support people can get VERY tetchy. I pointed out that Linux had free versions of all the school's software, except flash(and GIMP kinda does animation) and they got MAD. Partly because they didn't believe me. Partly because they'd just payed several tens of thousands of pounds on software that nobody used anyway. So I asked if they'd like a demo, and the answer was a somewhat scared 'no, it isn't that simple' when I brandished a USB stick.

Since then, the only change that I have seen is that the IT people both fear and hate me, and that the USB ports have masking tape over them :confused:

evets
September 17th, 2011, 07:15 PM
You're going to run into roadblocks. The biggest one will be training, the employees will need to be trained. And, that's true, they will need some training.

So be prepared with some training materials to present. I would start with your choice for an Office Suite replacement and, possibly, an email client, as well.

Then, I would talk to the folks whose jobs are on the line and ask them if they would consent to being trained "off the clock" after school or on a Saturday. That's a reasonable request, considering the alternative, and reasonable people will usually acquiesce to a reasonable request.

Then, prepare your entire presentation, and practice it (as another poster mentioned) in front of a select representation of those to whom you will be presenting your offer. This will help you in, at least, two ways...

1) You'll get comfortable being in front of an critical audience. Expect them to "critique" what you have presented, and in the way you presented it. Don't defend or explain, just listen and offers sincere thanks. Then make adjustments that you believe would effect a positive and relevant outcome...

2) Your presentation will motivate THEM, and they, in turn, will motivate others. You'll have a whole team on your side even before you make the final presentation.

When you begin your presentation, you'll need to instill confidence in yourself to those being presented to. UNDERSTAND THIS: They are reacting to a need, a dire need. A need for money to fund the continued operation of YOUR school. They are not inhuman nor are they anti-union activists. And, if you have these thoughts in your head, they WILL come out in your demeanor. i.e. You will have created a negative thought framework from which they will judge you.

Lookup (google) Value Proposition (if you don't know this already), that is what you are presenting to them. It is not just software that will save them money, it's an opportunity to make the most of the money they have. You are trying to ADD VALUE to them (ego) and to your school (pride) and save jobs (altruism, nobility). That's what you have to convey to them to "seal the deal".

I sure hope this helps you, I want you to succeed.

BTW, just so you know...they aren't laying off these people because they are Union. Most of them are/were Union members, also. They are laying them off because the Union's Value Proposition is outdated and economically unfeasible. It isn't necessarily the salaries that are hurting them, it's the ancillary costs that are equal to or more than the salaries. In other words, their Value Proposition does not add value any longer. We're going to see a lot more of this, so Unions should be reformulating their practices to adapt to the changing world.

Technology, and guys like you, can be a big help. Much more can be done using less money if only folks would wrap their heads around the concept. For instance, why does a teacher have to spend almost as much time outside of classroom hours to complete their jobs, as they do inside the classroom? Why do teachers need so much recurrency training that could, mostly, be accomplished as an integral part of their teachings? Technology can help us all to become so much more efficient, and that, my friend, adds true value.

Peace, eat healthy, exercise, and live long enough to become the pain in the azz to your kids, as they are to you! LOL