PDA

View Full Version : Xara Xtreme Open Source for Linux

warp99
May 29th, 2006, 04:26 AM
I just read about Xara Xtreme's open source project for Linux.

http://www.xaraxtreme.org/download/

I used the program under Windows many years ago. Has anyone tried this under Ubuntu? Any good? :-D

loell
May 29th, 2006, 04:49 AM
its still very alpha.. but its usable though.. :)

Jucato
May 29th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Isn't Xara a vector-based graphics app?
I wonder what will happen to Inkscape, which was gaining a bit of popularity.

Kimm
May 29th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I tried Xara Xtreme a few days ago.

Inkscape is faster!

EPOX123
July 12th, 2006, 10:17 PM
but xara xtreme lets you use photoshop plugins :D which is good since there are tons of free and none free plugins.

bruce89
July 12th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Inkscape is faster!

I thought the Xara rendering engine was faster. If it is, then Inkscape and librsvg should use it.

PhilipsHead
July 12th, 2006, 11:42 PM
I just read about Xara Xtreme's open source project for Linux.

http://www.xaraxtreme.org/download/

I used the program under Windows many years ago. Has anyone tried this under Ubuntu? Any good? :-D

Xara is like having inkscape and gimp in one shell, i can tell you that i have done all i can for this project to become reality and i beg every programmer, everyone who uses either to try it and file bug reports!

This could revolutionize the graphics industry as we know it and in the same time put FOSS as a bright star on the sky.

This IS revolutionary, far beyond XGL regarding usability, this is something that can be as big as the community supporting it!

hizaguchi
July 13th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Ok, I should point out that I'm not a graphic designer or anything, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about. But having said that, I really don't understand how a combination of Gimp and Inkscape will revolutionize anything. I mean, if the functionallity is already available, and so this new program is just a collection of previously available functions with the Xtreme name thrown in, what has really changed? Isn't that a little like saying that a Led Zeppelin greatest hits CD is going to revolutionize the music industry?

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, because I most likely am. Or maybe I'm right on that part, but there is something else new and exciting going on with Xara? If this is really going to be that important, I should give it another try. Can it actually save your drawings now? Because that would be a step in the right direction. :)

PhilipsHead
July 13th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Ok, I should point out that I'm not a graphic designer or anything, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about. But having said that, I really don't understand how a combination of Gimp and Inkscape will revolutionize anything. I mean, if the functionallity is already available, and so this new program is just a collection of previously available functions with the Xtreme name thrown in, what has really changed? Isn't that a little like saying that a Led Zeppelin greatest hits CD is going to revolutionize the music industry?

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, because I most likely am. Or maybe I'm right on that part, but there is something else new and exciting going on with Xara? If this is really going to be that important, I should give it another try. Can it actually save your drawings now? Because that would be a step in the right direction. :)

Well if you had understood the very basics of vector vs bitmapped graphics that would have helped, see the vector graphics deals with the lines, like.. argh, (insert other answer here) and the bits colour the lines (the lines determine the movement).
I'm not a graphic designer, my GF and my Daughter would explain it and chew you up if you didn't understand right away (in hiding sheeeesh)

I could shoot the moustache of a mosquito up to six thousand yards.

If i can get my girlfriend to not shoot me before that is. heh.

hizaguchi
July 13th, 2006, 02:00 AM
I understand the difference in the graphics formats. But that doesn't help me understand what the big deal is. Just that it can save to either type of file? Because Inkscape can export bitmaps, can't it?

I'm seriously trying to understand the excitement. I used Xara once a few months ago and wasn't impressed. I liked Inkscape alot more, and figured that they both did the same job. But if there is something that I'm missing, I don't want to miss out on a great, free piece of software.

bluntu
August 18th, 2006, 03:43 AM
I'm currently learning how to use Xara for web layouts at the moment. Check this out:

http://www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/jul06/html/11.htm
http://www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/jul06/html/03.htm

This artist's primary tool is XARA. Looks like XARA is the app for Linux designers since GIMP/Inkscape can't do it.

Can I use XARA commerically? Do I break any law if I make a lot of layouts in it and use/sell it?

BLTicklemonster
October 25th, 2006, 01:32 AM
I understand the difference in the graphics formats. But that doesn't help me understand what the big deal is. Just that it can save to either type of file? Because Inkscape can export bitmaps, can't it?

I'm seriously trying to understand the excitement. I used Xara once a few months ago and wasn't impressed. I liked Inkscape alot more, and figured that they both did the same job. But if there is something that I'm missing, I don't want to miss out on a great, free piece of software.

I think that if you are wanting to use xara instead of inkscape, you may come away feeling like, "what's the big deal", but if you want to use it instead of gimp, which is what I want to do, then you'll come away feeling like, "wow".

So who said something about using photoshop plug ins? How? I'd like to see that. I missed it on their site, I guess.

mrgnash
October 26th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Bitmap and vector graphics aren't just 'file formats,' the difference between them is a lot more fundamental than their filename extensions ;) Have a look at some of the screenshots on Xaraxtreme.org -- being able to compose those sorts of pictures out of vector objects is a very big deal, from the standpoint of processor load alone. There are other advantages as well, including resolution independence, cached bitmaps (i.e when you load a bitmap, and then clone/duplicate it, it doesn't use additional memory), and the ability to go back an modify the object-constituents of an image in a far more elegant and efficient manner than achievable through layers.

As for the other guy's question about 'what will happen to Inkscape?' The development teams for Xara and Inkscape are looking at possible collaboration in the future... so either a sharing of a few ideas between the two projects, or the merging of both projects into a single application :)

Anyway, I've messed around with it a bit and it seems like a fine program. Given the support it deserves, it should evolve into a mighty beast indeed :D

IYY
October 26th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I like it. It's still not very stable and feature complete on Linux (since it's open source, time will fix that) but the interface is very intuitive and comfortable.

M7S
October 26th, 2006, 07:23 PM
What is xara's business model? Selling support?

The screenshot's on xaraextreme.org is amazing. I didn't know you could do things like that with vector graphic.

puppy
October 26th, 2006, 08:15 PM
All I can say is just "Wow" :mrgreen: There is nothing like Xara for manipulating vector graphics, particularly what I use it for is text (on webpages, sigs etc). It's really simple to put things together that really stand out from the crowd - the user interface is really nice and intuitive too :-D Thanks for the tip!

mrgnash
October 27th, 2006, 02:19 AM
What is xara's business model? Selling support?

The screenshot's on xaraextreme.org is amazing. I didn't know you could do things like that with vector graphic.

From the XaraXtreme FAQ: How do you intend to make money?

We believe that we can make enough money from a variety of activities to enable us to continue with this project and indeed thrive. We're not a large company and do not need or expect to make hundreds of millions of dollars (and that alone separates us from Adobe or Microsoft). But we will continue to sell versions of Xara X into the Windows market. We'll also sell commercial version into the Linux and Mac market if there is demand. The commercial versions can include premium elements such as third party licensed components that we can't make available under Open Source, for example fonts, plug-ins, Pantone colors. All the bundled Live Effects plug-ins are examples. And of course things like CDs, boxed versions, manuals, and last but not least customer support - these will always cost money and can't be part of an entirely free product. These things only enhance the acceptance and respect the product has by commercial or professional users but takes nothing away from the Open Source version. We will also continue to sell other Windows software. There are numerous ways in which we can make money to continue to prosper as a company.

The entire FAQ (http://www.xaraxtreme.org/faqs.html) is worth reading, actually. These guys have a really great philosophy.

maniacmusician
October 27th, 2006, 02:47 AM
all this talk made me want to try it again. I messed around it for a few minutes and loved it (again), and I made a little image. I think it's kind of cute, so i'm going to upload it.

anyone else have anything fun that they made with xara?

ps: please mind that this took about all of 2 minutes to do :p

also, when i was working with inkscape, when i exported as png's, the background was automatically made transparent, but with xara, it leaves the white in there. Yes, i have the "transparent" option checked in the export window. but i didnt have enough time to mess around and fix it. if anyone figures it out, feel free to share.

mrgnash
October 27th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Heheh that's neat.

This was my first little experiment with it. (And I couldn't figure out how to export/import transparency either... I made the background transparent in GIMP)

maniacmusician
October 27th, 2006, 03:46 AM
cool, that looks nice!

I'm no good with the GIMP ](*,) I should find some tutorials on how to use it.

BLTicklemonster
October 27th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Hey red, see if the (you don't mind if I call you red do you? I mean your name is like what, 42 letters, lol) um... oh, see if the link to tutorials in my sig still works.

mrgnash
October 27th, 2006, 11:21 AM
The tutorials at the Gimp site are excellent :)

Here are a couple more:

Gimpdome (http://www.gimpdome.com)

Gimptalk (http://www.gimptalk.com)

I worked out how to export a transparent PNG, during the output process select 'true colour + alpha' for the colour depth, and a selection like 'drawing' rather than 'whole picture.'

You can see the results in my little experiment below :P

maniacmusician
October 27th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Hey red, see if the (you don't mind if I call you red do you? I mean your name is like what, 42 letters, lol) um... oh, see if the link to tutorials in my sig still works.

haha thanks, i'll check them out when I get home.

and thanks, mrgnash fo the heads up. I'll try that when I get home too. What a nifty little program.

loell
October 30th, 2006, 04:06 AM
xara is already available on edgy
:mrgreen:

WinterWeaver
October 30th, 2006, 05:21 AM
I might have the solution for your transparency problem...

I only fooled around with Xara for about 15 mins, and that only with the main tools, and not the Layers...

I believe your problem may be layer related. The Default layer in Xara is, according to my knowledge a solid white color. (I can't check right now as I'm at work).

You can try to create your image (or move it) onto it's own layer, and hide/delete the base layer. Try saving it then... might be the solution

^.^

maniacmusician
October 30th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Thanks for looking into it, WinterWeaver, but mrgnash already figured it out, see post #22. Though, his solution differs from yours.

graabein
March 13th, 2007, 02:40 PM
For those who have tried Xara I was wondering if the version in Feisty graphics packages (http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/graphics/) will be an updated one?

xaralx (0.7r1692-2) [multiverse]
Heavyweight vector graphics, illustration and DTP Program

As I understand the Feisty repos are frozen now. How is the progress on Xara LX? -- The fork that uses cairo -- as I understand it.

:confused:

loell
March 13th, 2007, 03:05 PM
is the cairo one, usable now?

graabein
March 13th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I have no idea. Some googling gave me this http://www.joachim-breitner.de/blog/archives/227-News-from-the-XaraLX-front.html from the end of February.