PDA

View Full Version : Which of these graphics cards looks the coolest?

Antarctica32
September 4th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I can't decide. attached are pictures of all three of them. My friend's dad gave them to me. The red and gold MSI looks cool but also kinda childish. The blue and silver zotac is a little too minimalistic, but looks very futuristic. And the unlabeled black one is bold, but a little too plain. I'm not choosing one for my computer, just interested in what you think.

jcolyn
September 4th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Looks don't make then work.

Check out the specs on each one and then decide which is best for your needs..

Antarctica32
September 4th, 2011, 07:29 PM
here are some more pics

kaldor
September 4th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Tell us the model numbers/names of each one and we can help you find which one will work best for what you need.

Example: Radeon 6770, Geforce 8400, etc.

Antarctica32
September 4th, 2011, 07:31 PM

my graphics card is already better than all of these, I just wanted to see what people think.

Antarctica32
September 4th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Tell us the model numbers/names of each one and we can help you find which one will work best for what you need.

Example: Radeon 6770, Geforce 8400, etc.

I appreciate your concern to find the best one for me, but I don't need a new card. I just want to see what people think about the 3.

IWantFroyo
September 4th, 2011, 07:33 PM
How you find the best one:
1) Make sure all of them will fit in your computer.
2) Do some research on the specifications. Make sure they'll work on Linux.
3) Plug the best cards in and try them for yourself (make sure the computer is unplugged while putting the card in).
4) You'll likely have one or two cards left. Then, it'll be easy to decide.

Going by looks alone with graphics cards is a very bad idea.

Edit: a whole bunch of posts where made while I was writing. Sorry. As for aesthetics, I have to say I like the red card in the top post.

Antarctica32
September 4th, 2011, 07:34 PM
How you find the best one:
1) Make sure all of them will fit in your computer.
2) Do some research on the specifications. Make sure they'll work on Linux.
3) Plug the best cards in and try them for yourself (make sure the computer is unplugged while putting the card in).
4) You'll likely have one or two cards left. Then, it'll be easy to decide.

Going by looks alone with graphics cards is a very bad idea.

OMG i'm not looking for a new graphics card. I just want to see which one the ubuntu forums thinks looks the coolest.

Antarctica32
September 4th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Yeah all these cards are from about 2004/2005 if I had to guess. And if I did want to use one anyway I couldn't because they are all for my eagle scout project.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1676724

Famicube64
September 4th, 2011, 07:39 PM
They all look like crap, honestly. Hardware doesn't need to look cool.

Antarctica32
September 4th, 2011, 07:45 PM
They all look like crap, honestly. Hardware doesn't need to look cool.

ok, so if you could have for the same price with the same specs either one of the 2 motherboards attached, which one would it be?

JonM33
September 5th, 2011, 02:02 AM
I can't decide. attached are pictures of all three of them. My friend's dad gave them to me. The red and gold RSI looks cool but also kinda childish. The blue and silver zotac is a little too minimalistic, but looks very futuristic. And the unlabeled black one is bold, but a little too plain.

Is it sort of moot between the looks? Which one is more powerful? Use that one.

Famicube64
September 5th, 2011, 02:19 AM
ok, so if you could have for the same price with the same specs either one of the 2 motherboards attached, which one would it be?
I'd have my current one, because it's tiny.

user1397
September 5th, 2011, 02:36 AM
i like the unlabeled black one, reminds me of a card i used to have, i like that look

KiwiNZ
September 5th, 2011, 02:50 AM
The only yard sticks I use for internal components...

1. Build quality
2. Specification
3. Performance

Esthetics or "coolness" have sod all to do with it.

FuturePilot
September 5th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Don't choose hardware based on looks.

Khakilang
September 5th, 2011, 06:32 AM
The graphic card I choose will be base on performance, quality component, compatible with Linux and after sales support. Look doesn't really motivate me to buy.

user1397
September 5th, 2011, 07:33 AM
i feel your pain OP, i feel your pain hehe

Antarctica32
September 5th, 2011, 03:17 PM
facepalm

sanderd17
September 5th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I guess people don't notice this is in the Community Cafe. I don't like too many colours, so the black one looks good to me.

Antarctica32
September 5th, 2011, 03:44 PM
yeah, for all those interested and those who still think I'm asking for help, I found the specs for the MSI. I was a little disappointed (not that I'm going to be using these). It has only 128mb of DDR. I found it on their website:

http://us.msi.com/product/vga/FX5200-TD128LF.html#?div=Feature

And on the underside of the all black one it says: 256MB DDR2 TV/DVI

and the silver and blue one is already in a machine and I don't feel like trying to find the specs for it.

von_werther
September 5th, 2011, 04:13 PM
i think when most people on here are saying looks don't matter, they're not giving advice to you as to which of those video cards you should install in your computer. they're saying that if they had to choose between the three based on looks, they wouldn't even do that because looks are insignificant. in response to your facepalm post.

me, i feel the same way. i really could care less what the video card i buy looks like. it goes in a case, and is out of sight. if i absolutely had to choose between the three based on looks, then the black one, just because i wouldn't want one of those neon glowing towers that some people have.

Antarctica32
September 5th, 2011, 04:20 PM
i think when most people on here are saying looks don't matter, they're not giving advice to you as to which of those video cards you should install in your computer. they're saying that if they had to choose between the three based on looks, they wouldn't even do that because looks are insignificant. in response to your facepalm post.

me, i feel the same way. i really could care less what the video card i buy looks like. it goes in a case, and is out of sight. if i absolutely had to choose between the three based on looks, then the black one, just because i wouldn't want one of those neon glowing towers that some people have.

welcome to the forums

kaldor
September 5th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I don't even know what my GPU looks like ;)

I just don't really understand the point of wanting to know what one looks the best to other people. When it's in use, you'll not likely ever see it unless you use a transparent case. I know what you're saying, but I don't understand why it matters.

Oxwivi
September 5th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I still own that red MSI one (though not in use). The black one looks best to me. And same with the motherboard - looks awesome.

BTW, I think it would be wise to add in the first post that you're not choosing a GPU.

Linuxratty
September 5th, 2011, 05:46 PM

I agree. I don't care if it looks like a muddy hunk of wood as long as it works.

babybean
September 5th, 2011, 07:05 PM
None of them look spectacular but I think the red one looks pretty cool. Is that copper on the top... its shiney :biggrin:

forrestcupp
September 5th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Wow, people! :lol:

He already said many, many times that he already has a better performing video card than any of these and that he's not trying to make a decision on which card is the best one for his needs.

I guess that must mean that he has a different reason for wanting to know which one looks the nicest! :confused: Maybe we should just answer the simple question instead of giving him advice that he's not asking for?

In my opinion, the MSI looks the best.

Phrea
September 5th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I voted 'undecided', because they all look unbelievably dull.

sanderd17
September 5th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I voted 'undecided', because they all look unbelievably dull.

Yeah, I like one with a big fat fan on it :P

Phrea
September 5th, 2011, 07:45 PM
yeah, i like one with a big fat fan on it :p

And more heatsinks !

Simian Man
September 5th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Who cares? I mean really, it's not even a case that people will see. When I saw the title I thought you meant cool as in temperature which would still be an odd question.

I think I'll post 5 pictures of dust bunnies from my office floor with a poll about which one of them looks coolest.

Phrea
September 5th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Who cares? I mean really, it's not even a case that people will see. When I saw the title I thought you meant cool as in temperature which would still be an odd question.

I think I'll post 5 pictures of dust bunnies from my office floor with a poll about which one of them looks coolest.

Arg, you're just a grumpy old man. ;)

sanderd17
September 5th, 2011, 07:58 PM

A friend of mine once made a perspex case and a few lights in it that he could control via the parallel port. So for him, the look did matter :D

Bandit
September 5th, 2011, 08:12 PM
EDIT: I voted for the all black one BTW. I actually think it looks good.

I prefer this one.. hehe.. Its what I got in my system..
MSI Cyclone 460oc

http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/video_cards/MSI_N460GTX_Cyclone/MSI_N460GTX_Cyclone_1GD5_OC_Bracket_34_01.jpg

forrestcupp
September 6th, 2011, 01:04 PM

I'll vote if you do. :)

Paqman
September 6th, 2011, 03:19 PM
OMG, I was just about to post a nearly identical thread!

Out of these vacuum cleaner motors, which do you think looks the coolest:
http://image.made-in-china.com/4f0j00HMBtFQqCHukr/Wet-and-Dry-Vacuum-Cleaner-Motor-XWC95-.jpg
or this one:
http://www.o-digital.com/uploads/2179/2188-2/Vacuum_Cleaner_Motor_XA70_21.jpg
or maybe this one:
http://www.zsqts.com.cn/product-photo/2009-05-23/d957325020ce4f61a2ea16f1a43f1e27/wet-and-dry-vacuum-cleaner-motor.jpg
I kind of like the matt black. The blue one is a bit too "showy" for me.

TBABill
September 6th, 2011, 04:17 PM
OP, I feel your pain. You asked a simple question and anyone who didn't feel like answering the questions could have simply moved on, but no...you have to get bashed for asking a silly question. It's definitely a silly question and you acknowledged it's not really relevant to anything and that you're not looking to actually use one of them, but rather just wanted to know which others thought was coolest looking. For me it's the MSI one just because they used the heat sink to advertise their name...clever and flashy.

If you had posted 3 different cars nobody would have complained that you weren't replacing your current car with one of them. Oh, the irony. The facepalm was entirely appropriate in this case and it made me laugh.

realzippy
September 6th, 2011, 04:41 PM

http://image.made-in-china.com/4f0j00HMBtFQqCHukr/Wet-and-Dry-Vacuum-Cleaner-Motor-XWC95-.jpg
or this one:
http://www.o-digital.com/uploads/2179/2188-2/Vacuum_Cleaner_Motor_XA70_21.jpg
or maybe this one:
http://www.zsqts.com.cn/product-photo/2009-05-23/d957325020ce4f61a2ea16f1a43f1e27/wet-and-dry-vacuum-cleaner-motor.jpg
I kind of like the matt black. The blue one is a bit too "showy" for me.

...would be great CPU fans...

BrokenKingpin
September 6th, 2011, 06:14 PM
In terms of looks the all black one for sure... looks bad-*** lol.

_d_
September 6th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Looks don't matter.

Which one is the most powerful out of them? Pick that one instead, even if it looks ugly as hell.

sanderd17
September 6th, 2011, 07:49 PM
EDIT: I voted for the all black one BTW. I actually think it looks good.

I prefer this one.. hehe.. Its what I got in my system..
MSI Cyclone 460oc

http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/video_cards/MSI_N460GTX_Cyclone/MSI_N460GTX_Cyclone_1GD5_OC_Bracket_34_01.jpg

Nice one.

And for the vacuum motors, give me the first one. It has a good colour schema. :D

Antarctica32
September 7th, 2011, 12:11 AM
op, i feel your pain. You asked a simple question and anyone who didn't feel like answering the questions could have simply moved on, but no...you have to get bashed for asking a silly question. It's definitely a silly question and you acknowledged it's not really relevant to anything and that you're not looking to actually use one of them, but rather just wanted to know which others thought was coolest looking. For me it's the msi one just because they used the heat sink to advertise their name...clever and flashy.

If you had posted 3 different cars nobody would have complained that you weren't replacing your current car with one of them. Oh, the irony. The facepalm was entirely appropriate in this case and it made me laugh.

ty

Neken
September 7th, 2011, 12:57 AM
it's hard to decide ....

the first blue one is SO TINY. like, TINY CUTE. hehe

second red is meh all the way.

MSI one is hipster, i like it :)

the black one is bad-***.

ill go with the blue one ... so cute :)

Paqman
September 7th, 2011, 12:50 PM
If you had posted 3 different cars nobody would have complained that you weren't replacing your current car with one of them. Oh, the irony.

What irony? Cars are designed to look good. PCBs aren't.

forrestcupp
September 7th, 2011, 05:37 PM

I like the first one because, other than the color, it kind of reminds me of Vincent on The Black Hole

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-RkV71g-Bu24/TWwJl1akY9I/AAAAAAAAAG4/2Dwpsm--9zI/s320/blackhole+vincent.jpg