PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using Ubuntu to backup..hangs

chuckdup
September 4th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Hey Guys,

I have a Windows system that wont boot up. Its a HP all in one machine. The drive works as I was able to remove it and connect it to another PC. I since found a Windows Boot Files cd on the net. I ran the installation hoping it would repair the damaged files in the window boot sector. That didnt go to plan. So, now Im trying to access my files and perform back ups using Ubuntu. I downloaded the file, burned as ISO and booted the computer from the DVD drive. Ubuntu loads to a certain point, then I get a DOS looking screen and it stops (last lines are 42-Ubuntu, Call trace, Warn in slow path, heaps of codes as well). I put the HDD back in the drive caddie, but now I cant see the windows partition, only the HP recovery partition. So something has happened during the install of either the windows repair cd or ubuntu. Im in a bit of a panic. I managed to save work documents, but I have email and other personal files I still need to back up before HP comes and replaces the drive. Any ideas on what I can do now??

Cheers
D

chuckdup
September 4th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Ok, now the install is doing something different. Its still in a Dos like format, but its like there are things happening at 100mph. By this I mean the text is moving up the screen really fast. If I look closely though, it looks like its repeating the same commands or comments. Its too fast to read anything though.