PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Worm/trojan infected USB pendrive, is now write protected

Muiske
September 4th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Hi all,

Since this is a pesky problem and I have found no solution on the net, I will try explaining the issue here to see if anyone can come up with an adequate solution.

The case.

My wife is currently writing her PhD dissertation and has to use the Windows PC's at her work (that, although the IT guys claim otherwise, are totally unprotected against viruses). She uses a lot of media to back-up her work, among which a USB pendrive (16G, Kingston Datatraveller). Due to the faulty antivirus policy, the drive is now infected with a worm. It installed itself under the name "explorer.exe" on the drive. I scanned it with Clam AV and have quarantined the file (I do not know if that worked, however... which I will explain later).

It seems that this worm has changed the USB drive to 'read-only' modus. I tried removing the files, but to no avail. I tried changing the permissions with chmod but that also did nothing.

The next stop was Gparted, but it could not remove the partition and install a new one, due to the same error.

So now, I am at a loss here. I might try a low-level formatting, but I do not know how or with what program.

Note: this is the second time such a thing has happened. I discarded the previous USB pendrive, but if this continues, it is going to be costly. So I REALLY would like a solution this time, so the drive can still be used.

Is there anyone that has a proven solution for this?

Thank you.

/ Muiske.

fdrake
September 4th, 2011, 10:32 AM
first: if you really care about the data in the usb first make a copy with dd in your desktop, otherwise, never mind.

second: such a cool virus!:P ! can you post here your :

sudo fdisk -l

iponeverything
September 4th, 2011, 11:14 AM
some usb drives have write protect tab. This is the only way to write protect a drive, as any software method would be pointless.

Can other things be written and removed from drive, just not virus?

If that is the case the file was given a read-only attribute that is being honored. -- If it does have the attribute, it can be removed -- allowing the removal of the file.

shaneo1
October 16th, 2011, 02:28 AM
I too have the same issue, I have a 500GB Maxtor usb drive which form some reason unknown to me is now ready only, this has only happened in the last couple of days I have ubuntu 11.10.

I have run this drive in a Vbox on win xp and it can be accessed as normal, so there seems to be nothing wrong with the drive itself, but Nautilus seems to be the issue. I have installed Gnome Sushi yesterday, but I am unsure if this would be the cause.

set on /dev/sdb1

Any ideas would be welcomed.

diasf
October 16th, 2011, 02:40 AM
afaik, drives with filesystem problems are automatically remounted as read-only....

boot the system, wait a bit, then see the last lines of dmesg... that might shed some light on it

fdrake
October 16th, 2011, 03:49 AM
I too have the same issue, I have a 500GB Maxtor usb drive which form some reason unknown to me is now ready only, this has only happened in the last couple of days I have ubuntu 11.10.

I have run this drive in a Vbox on win xp and it can be accessed as normal, so there seems to be nothing wrong with the drive itself, but Nautilus seems to be the issue. I have installed Gnome Sushi yesterday, but I am unsure if this would be the cause.

set on /dev/sdb1

Any ideas would be welcomed.
after you have mounted your druve can you post the output of mount nd your /etc/fstab? maybe your driver is configured to be run as read-only.
try also

sudo mount -w /dev/sdb1 /media/disk(or whatever dir you use)