PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10 Beta

jaikiran
September 4th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Hello everyone,

I've a laptop installed with Ubuntu 11.04 which I've been using for the past few months. Now that Ubuntu 11.10 Beta has been released, I would like to give a try. However, since I mainly use this laptop for my work related activities, I would want to continue using 11.04 installation in parallel with 11.10 Beta so that even if I run into issues with the new version, I can still fallback on my previous working installation.

Is this possible? If yes, what do I do to install and configure this dual boot?

Also, how easy is it to uninstall the 11.10 Beta once 11.10 final is released?

P.S: I am no Operating System expert

Hakunka-Matata
September 4th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Hello everyone,

I've a laptop installed with Ubuntu 11.04 which I've been using for the past few months. Now that Ubuntu 11.10 Beta has been released, I would like to give a try. However, since I mainly use this laptop for my work related activities, I would want to continue using 11.04 installation in parallel with 11.10 Beta so that even if I run into issues with the new version, I can still fallback on my previous working installation.

Is this possible? If yes, what do I do to install and configure this dual boot?

Also, how easy is it to uninstall the 11.10 Beta once 11.10 final is released?

P.S: I am no Operating System expert

Yes, this is possible: Use gparted to create another Linux type 83 Ext4 partition of between 10 - 20GB for the 11.10 OS.

Simple, it will either upgrade, or you delete your beta partition and recreate it for 11.10 stable

Me either