PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jaunty runs flawlessy; subsequent upgrades all freeze

techiewannabe
September 4th, 2011, 02:37 AM
I've been using Jaunty for a couple of years. It has worked flawlessly for me. Whenever I have tried to upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu, my system randomly freezes. It cannot be restored without rebooting the computer. (I have tried 9.10 and 10.04)

Currently, I have 10.04 on a separate partition of the same computer that is using Jaunty. Without fail, it will freeze up and require a reboot. Sometimes it will go for 20 minutes; sometimes for an hour and a half. I have searched the discussion groups and have not been able to find a solution to the problem.

I am running a Compaq Presario laptop R3000 with 1.1 gb of memory. Platform is i686; CPU is an Intel Pentium 4 with 3.00 GHz. Chipset is ATi Radeon 9100 IGP / FSB 200: MHz.

Even though I've been using Ubuntu for quite some time, I still consider myself a newbie. I do not have a good understanding of the command line.

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks.

2F4U
September 4th, 2011, 08:44 AM
1. Do you see error messages in the system log when it freezes?
2. Is the laptop getting hotter under 10.04 than under 9.10?
3. Did you run a memtest (available on most liveCD's) in order to test the RAM?

coffeecat
September 4th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Since you get freezes in 10.04, but not in 9.10 a hardware fault seems unlikely, but still possible. That's the trouble with random freezes. If you don't get them, you may be just having a run of good luck. That being said, I would guess there is an obscure bug specific to your hardware and one or more of the drivers in the kernel used in 10.04. Each newer version of Ubuntu uses a newer version of the kernel. You don't say whether you have tried something newer than 10.04, so I would suggest you do if you haven't already.

Download the ISO for 11.04/Natty and try running that live. Ignore all the moaning and groaning you may have seen about Natty in the forum - that's mostly knee-jerk dislike of the Unity interface. I have found Natty to be very stable on five different machines. You may be unlucky and find that it does not suit your machine but it is definitely worth giving a try because 9.10 is past end-of-life and you won't be getting any more updates for it.

techiewannabe
September 4th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks 2F4U and Coffecat for your suggestions.

To clarify, I am currently running 9.04. It was when I went to 9.10 and above that I had problems.

The memtest was fine. I'm not sure if my system is running hotter under the newer versions. How do I test for that? I am not sure how to search for errors in the system log. I know how to get to the system log, but don't know what specific script to look for.

I have not tried 11.04/Natty because of some the negative hype that I had read about it. Perhaps it is time I give it a try.

Thanks for your comments. I look forward to any other suggestions that people want to offer.

techiewannabe
September 4th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Well....I downloaded and installed on my hard drive Natty/11.04. I'm afraid that I continue to have the same problem. It looked like it was going to be a great OS, then it crashed!

Ideas anyone?

owise1
September 4th, 2011, 10:34 PM
have a read of the system logs -via log file viewer and see if there are any error messages - might guide you to a solution

techiewannabe
September 4th, 2011, 10:45 PM
owise1:
Thanks for your note. Can you guide me a bit as to what, specifically, I should look for in the logs -via log file?
Thanks.

owise1
September 6th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Hard to say what to look for but have a read of the logs for

Xorg - I had a problem with a random freeze with a screensaver - got this message. [413285.248] (EE) intel(0): Detected a hung GPU, disabling acceleration.

Also look at kern.log syslog

These are in sort of plain english but you will have to read through to look for clues

mörgæs
September 7th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Rather than installing Ubuntu 11.04 I would recommend Xubuntu 11.04, not only because it is fast on older machines, but because it is stable, unlike Ubuntu (as you have witnessed).

This is of course not a complete guarantee, but a step worth trying.

techiewannabe
September 17th, 2011, 04:18 AM
mörgæs:
Thanks for your note. I'm sorry that it has taken me this long to respond. Honestly, I had given up on this problem (and this thread....) I haven't checked it for a while.
I'll give you suggestions a try.
Thanks.
Techiewannabe.