PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do i disable unity side bar (without running ubuntu classic)

diamanthunden
September 4th, 2011, 02:10 AM
I would very much like to disable the sidepanel in ubuntu unity as i don't use it. I can make it auto-hide, but this function is extremely annoying when using two screens, as the sidebar will pop out the whole time, and you cant make it go away.

So my question is simply how to disable it totally?

Ben

JD8182
September 4th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Click on the Power button in the upper right corner and choose the last option "System Settings". Then find Login Screen and open it, unlock and enter password, then select Ubuntu Classic as default session.Good luck.

Frogs Hair
September 4th, 2011, 03:28 AM
I would very much like to disable the sidepanel in ubuntu unity as i don't use it. I can make it auto-hide, but this function is extremely annoying when using two screens, as the sidebar will pop out the whole time, and you cant make it go away.

So my question is simply how to disable it totally?

Ben

If you open the software center and enter the keyword Unity you will see what packages will be removed . Removing Unity will remove much more than the side bar and could break the desktop .

diamanthunden
September 5th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Hi and thanks for the two replies!

What I was hoping for, was to keep unity, but to just remove the sidebar. I like unity in the way that the bottom bar i removet etc., but dislike the sidebar.

I tried both, but removing unity or switching to classic changes much more than just the sidebar, as you mentioned.

Is there really no way to just remove the sidebar?

Krytarik
September 5th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Given your preconditions, this is your only currently available option:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11192967#post11192967

Greetings.

MARP1961
September 6th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Soon we will be able to install Gnome 3 Shell and use that instead of the Unity desktop. Roll on Oneiric Ocelot 11.10!

diamanthunden
September 11th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks for your replies, i look forward to Oneiric Ocelot 11.10 then :)

A Traveller
September 11th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Hi JD8182. I am just posting to say the biggest THANK YOU ever, for the instructions you provided to allow returning to Classic Ubuntu. I have just installed 11.04 and the reason I had logged in was to state how much I ABSOLUTELY LOATHE the new desktop and every single one of its new features, but then I saw this thread and your solution. I understand that everyone has different views, opinions, likes and dislikes, but I sincerely hope that they never take away the option to choose Classic Ubuntu. What's with the severely reduced options for customisation anyway???? Thanks.

A Traveller
September 11th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I immediately switched to Classic, however, it's just the appearance that has changed, which I'm more than thankful for, however, the options available are still those of the new Ubuntu, ie, can't do as much customisation as the older versions. For example, where is the option to be able to view the address/path of a file in the location bar and not just have buttons? Why have the close/maximise/minimise buttons gone to the left?

diamanthunden
September 12th, 2011, 05:30 PM
The buttons of the windows can be changed somewhere, can't remember where but you can google it.

About the buttons in the bar, i was annoyed by that too. But use ctrl+L then you can copy paste the address in the address bar, that works.

A Traveller
September 12th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks for your reply, diamanthunden.

Wonderful! Found the instructions here and they worked for me.

http://linuxfloat.org/ubuntu-1104how-move-maximize-minimize-and-close-buttons-right-corner-right-corner

Thanks also for the Ctrl + L trick.

Are you able to set your throbber URL in Firefox (if you have this) to another website? I have always done this (in about:config) but in 11.04, it does not seem to be working. A search for this subject only provides complicated instructions. Thanks.