PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen Flickers black

alibasher
September 3rd, 2011, 05:18 PM
Hi,

I've recently upgraded my computer by installing a new motherboard, 2 sticks of ram and a CPU. Now, I am receiving some graphical problems. I'm dual-booting Windows XP and Ubuntu, I believe it's a hardware problem as it occurs on both Windows and Ubuntu. Just to make sure it wasn't a problem with the software, I've clean-installed both Windows and Ubuntu.

On Windows XP, whilst running a game, the screen will turn black for a while but may come back on again, if it doesn't, then I have no choice but to hold the power button until it switches off. I've tested Minecraft which can sometimes run for about half an hour, but things such as counter-strike's stress test goes off almost instantly.

On Ubuntu, the desktop loads, but I can't click on anything, and it keeps flickering black.

I've used Speedfan to get some temperature measurements and it tends to stay at 20'C to 30'C and still only hits around 40'C whilst running the games. The only other problem, is once when I tested it, the CPU temperature registered as 127'C but when I booted into the Bios it was only registering at 30'C.

I've also done a memtest and it passed. I would be very grateful if anyone could give me some help with this problems.

My Computer Specs are:

Motherboard
Asrock 770 Extreme3 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.21 GHz

RAM
2 X Kingston 2GB DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Memory 1.65V Non-ECC CL9

GPU
ATI Radeon HD 5770 PCI-E Graphics Card - 1GB

PSU
CIT 750UB 750W PSU

Thanks, Alibasher.

alibasher
September 4th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I've just noticed that the internet goes off on windows when I get the black screen, the only way to get an internet connection again, is to restart the whole computer. I've also tried removing the ram and graphics card, cleaning the ports of dust and putting them back in, but this doesn't seem to have helped.